Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 6,903 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are about to sign a contract and build a house in Sunset Ridge. I'm looking for opinions on the Sunset Beach / Ocean Isles area. I'm originally from Massachusetts but live in Florida now. I can't stand how crazy the Tampa area is, especially the roads. The crime is getting bad too. I'm looking for a nice quiet area with friendly people. I'm not worried about temporary crowds from summer tourist, I'm use to that (coming from Plymouth, America's hometown). Are there many retirees from New England or the Northeast? If so I would love to hear how you like the area. Should I worry about Hurricanes and or floods being so close to the ocean? What about the nuclear power plant in South Port? I was very excited about this move, but getting a little nervous about it now. I don't want to make another mistake like I did moving to Florida. I appreciate any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 05:49 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd29 View Post
My husband and I are about to sign a contract and build a house in Sunset Ridge........ Are there many retirees from New England or the Northeast? If so I would love to hear how you like the area. Should I worry about Hurricanes and or floods being so close to the ocean? What about the nuclear power plant in South Port?
It sounds like you need to do some more research before signing a contract. Have you even visited Sunset Ridge?

Hurricanes are definitely a concern all along the NC coast. Flooding can happen, and you need to know the elevation of a lot to know whether flood insurance is required.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:04 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Lots of retirees are moving to Brunswick County and I imagine many are from New England and the Northeast. Definitely you should be aware of the potential for floods and hurricanes. North Carolina is 4th in hurricane strikes after Florida, Texas, and Louisiana. Don't build in low-lying areas or build up if you do.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:06 PM

Yes I have visited the area a couple of times. I went to Sunset Ridge and toured the model homes. I love the Sunset Beach area, but I think all the flooding in Texas is triggering my anxiety. Sunset Ridge is not in a flood zone and I really trust my realtor. I grew up on the ocean and really want to be near it again. Are you familiar with the area?

Old 08-29-2017, 06:55 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Regarding the nuclear power plant in Southport: it is 35 miles away, and it would not concern me.

I have visited Sunset Beach, but am not familiar with the new residential areas which have grown up since I visited. Good luck on a new home.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old 08-29-2017, 07:23 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd29 View Post
Yes I have visited the area a couple of times. I went to Sunset Ridge and toured the model homes. I love the Sunset Beach area, but I think all the flooding in Texas is triggering my anxiety. Sunset Ridge is not in a flood zone and I really trust my realtor. I grew up on the ocean and really want to be near it again. Are you familiar with the area?
We have vacationed in the area for more than 40 years and will be moving there in the spring.
We chose it for its proximity to Sunset Beach the access to Myrtle Beach SC, Wilmington and its elevation.

Hurricanes are always a concern when you live near the coast but that is the trade off to live near a beautiful beach like Sunset.

We have met many people from all over the place, NE for sure, but a surprising number of North Carolinians.
We are originally from Canada, moved to Mississippi and we are now in NJ soon to be in NC.

We have experience with quite a few hurricanes from Hazel to Sandy but more fearful of tornados.

We love the area.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:51 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
There was flooding in the Brunswick county golf communities a couple of years ago during Hurricane Joaquin. I'm not sure if Hurricane Matthew got them too. I believe Carolina Shores was one of the communities hit hard. Google for images. Flooding in NC coastal areas | Brunswick Plantation | photoMojo | WJTV.COM

Old 08-30-2017, 06:33 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Brunswick County is the fastest growing county in NC, largely due to retirees from the northeast moving to places like Sunset Beach. You'll have no problem finding New Englanders. If you want to look at other places, Arbor Creek (next to St. James) has many, many former Ne Englanders.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:48 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times
If you haven't signed a contract with Bill Clark Homes you may want to review these comments and contact some of them direct to get more info. You will love the area though....................

Info on Sunset Ridge in Ocean Isle Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina