U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 23,033 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! Brand new to this site. I'm Stephanie, 21 years old. Junior in college right now. Majoring in Criminal Justice with a minor in Psychology. I want to work in probation/corrections. I have some questions for anyone who knows anything about coastal North Carolina. My friend Machaela, who waitresses currently, my boyfriend who has been a kitchen manager for a resturaunt, and myself are looking to move South from York, PA. I've grown up in Pottstown PA, lived there all my life till I moved to college. Recently, I have been thinking a lot about where we are going to move to. We are looking for somewhere that is close to a beach, but a beach that is not as touristy and busy as corolla and duck and places like that. We also want to live close enough to a city that we can go downtown for drinks, shopping, resturaunts, etc, but somewhere quiet enough to get away from the hustle and bustle of a large city. Clearly, we are not very well off, as I am a struggling college student, and the other 2 basically make enough to cover their own bills with a little extra spending money. What can you all tell me about Wilmington North Carolina? That's kind of where I'm looking now... Any help would be so much appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 08:35 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,361,370 times
wilmington might have what you are looking for. a decent downtown and nice beaches. however you must realize that this is a TOTAL tourist area and it does get very crowded during certain times of the year.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:52 PM

76 posts, read 337,664 times
downtown wilmington is lots of fun for anyone in their twenties. if the 3 of you will be sharing rent, you should do well on expenses. I believe all 3 of you will have no problems finding jobs here also.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:12 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,053,872 times
Well, there is always Beaufort, right next door (that means on the other side of the bridge) from Morehead City, quaint little fishing village close to all of the amenities. Actually, since it is on the waterway, not the ocean, it still has a fair share of bars and things to do, nice town, friendly, good feel to it but not right on the ocean. Also, on the other side of Morehead City, right next door, (that means the other side of the other bridge) is Atlantic Beach, it is right on the Ocean. If one is a persnickety sort, I'm sure you know the type, a stickler for accuracy, there are actually quite a few bridges in that neck of the woods, or coast. Hospital in Morehead, community college also, or so I have been led to believe. Great fishing in that part of the coastline, one of the major industries, charter boats and head boats, some of these have been family businesses for generations. If you are friendly and outgoing and don't try to change the way they do things, ( people really are not very interested in how you did things back whereever ) you will fit in well, amiable folk for the most part (there are always those few, hard to get along with types everywhere) This area doesn't really have a winter and the sea breezes keep summer almost bearable.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,713 times
Smile you will like it

Hi! I am 21 too, and I love Wilmington! I think with the 3 of you guys sharing rent, it will be pretty easy for you to afford an apartment that's pretty nice. Apartment prices for a 2 or 3 bedroom run from like $600-$1100ish. If you guys like to go out and have drinks or go to dinner, there's downtown Wilmington for a more "party, club" atmosphere or there are the beach bars that are more laid back but still alot of fun. There are tons of great little restaurants, you just have to look for them and avoid the chain places. Downtown also has great shopping, little local shops with vintage stuff and also there is a regular mall and an outdoor plaza type shopping place. I moved to Wilmington years ago, and I have always been able to find a job, sometimes more than 1 at a time! The atmosphere here is great, there's a mix of older rich people, people in their 20s and then there's a big college crowd from UNCW. There are ALOT of northerners living in Wilmington, most times I feel like I am the only native North Carolinian here! The weather is incredible, my best friend lives in Rhode Island and she is always jealous because we have such great days, perfect for the beach. Speaking of the beaches, they are nice, but sometimes crowded in the summer (ESP the 4th of July). If you want to drive out on the beach, there's Carolina Beach you can just drive down to that if you want to get away a little bit. The beach there is nice, but the town is kinda trashy. I'd say stick to Wrightsville Beach when you want to go out, but during the summer get there early in the AM to get a parking spot and just sleep on the beach. Hope this helps you guys out!!

Old 03-22-2008, 02:51 PM

6 posts, read 23,033 times
Default Thank you!

KMW - what do you do as far as a job goes? I am looking into juvenile probation. Also, how safe is it? What is the crime like? And lastly, what part of Wilmington would be good for us -- we want somewhere a little more quiet, beach 30 min away tops, not in the downtown but maybe 30 min drive... things like that?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,436 times
Hi! I am a 23 year that moved to Wilmington last July and I love it. I'm still trying to meet people though, but this town has a lot to offer. There are tons of places to live where you can be within 15 min of beach and downtown. I don't make that much money and it's been affordable for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina