Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times

Advertisements

Going back to Wilmington soon for my second visit to this area for retirement. Can anyone post information regarding Winding River Plantation in Bolivia? I see very little information regarding this plantation. We would love a pond view/golf view lot, and it seems like they have tons out there for sale, and much cheaper than Ocean Ridge Plantation. How would you rate the two?? Wish to move in four years! Thanks much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times
Here are the rankings in my opinion:

Beaches
1 Sunset OR
2 Holden WR
3 Oak Island STJ

Golf
1 STJ
2 OR (close second)
3 WR

Location to "action"
1 OR
2 STJ
3 WR

Ammenities
1 STJ
2 OR
3 WR

Stability ($) Unsure except for STJ
1 STJ
2 WR
3 OR

Style of "homes"
1 OR (all single family...for now)
2 STJ
3 WR

I am studying all three and like you I am 4-5 years away from making the move. I see no rush to buy so I will wait it out until I am ready when I will rent for an extended period of time to make sure it is the right fit for me to "lay anchor". At this point in time STJ has my vote.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post

Beaches
1 Sunset OR
2 Holden WR
3 Oak Island STJ

Golf
1 STJ
2 OR (close second)
3 WR

Location to "action"
1 OR
2 STJ
3 WR

Ammenities
1 STJ
2 OR
3 WR

1 STJ
2 WR
3 OR

Style of "homes"
2 STJ
3 WR

I am studying all three and like you I am 4-5 years away from making the move. I see no rush to buy so I will wait it out until I am ready when I will rent for an extended period of time to make sure it is the right fit for me to "lay anchor". At this point in time STJ has my vote.
Lot and home sales are up and there are around 100 homes under construction in SJP. Just be aware that if you wait, you will most likely be paying more. We just got back from a week in the area and were amazed at the amount of people there considering the time of year.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
One big disadvantage of Winding River is the distance from grocery stores. There is a nearby deli (Lockwood Folly marketplace), but it is 11 miles to the Wal-Mart Super Center in Shallotte, and 18 miles to the Food Lion in Holden Beach.

Ocean Ridge has more convenient food shopping, at 3 miles to the Food Lion in Sunset Beach.

St James has the most convenience, with 2 or 3 miles to Food Lions, 3 miles to a Lowes Food, and several neat-sounding places in Southport at 5-6 miles away.

If you are a woman, these distances matter, esp. if your hubby claims he doesn't know how to buy groceries.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:57 AM

68 posts, read 111,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
One big disadvantage of Winding River is the distance from grocery stores. There is a nearby deli (Lockwood Folly marketplace), but it is 11 miles to the Wal-Mart Super Center in Shallotte, and 18 miles to the Food Lion in Holden Beach.

Ocean Ridge has more convenient food shopping, at 3 miles to the Food Lion in Sunset Beach.

St James has the most convenience, with 2 or 3 miles to Food Lions, 3 miles to a Lowes Food, and several neat-sounding places in Southport at 5-6 miles away.

If you are a woman, these distances matter, esp. if your hubby claims he doesn't know how to buy groceries.
It is 11 miles from winding river, to the food lion on holden beach

Old 03-09-2013, 10:52 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeawish3 View Post
It is 11 miles from winding river, to the food lion on holden beach
Thanks. I misread the 18 minutes as 18 miles. It's still too far to be convenient.

Winding River is lovely, I just wish it were closer to the stores.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM

158 posts, read 345,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Going back to Wilmington soon for my second visit to this area for retirement. Can anyone post information regarding Winding River Plantation in Bolivia? I see very little information regarding this plantation. We would love a pond view/golf view lot, and it seems like they have tons out there for sale, and much cheaper than Ocean Ridge Plantation. How would you rate the two?? Wish to move in four years! Thanks much!!
Have you looked at Brunswick Forest? Conveniences abound as there is a shopping center across the street housing a Lowe's grocery, bank, restaurants, medical facilities, etc. There is also a Harris Teeter a few minutes away.

The golf community in Brunswick Forest has just announced the opening of new golf course lots with a grand opening event filled weekend mid April which you can attend by contacting them. Many of these lots back up to the course which is a beautiful course; a bit of a challenge to play, but truly beautiful.

Brunswick Forest is also extremely close to Wilmington which offers 5 organic food stores, shopping, restaurants, profreseional theater, etc.

If you haven't researched this community, you might want to contact them for information.

The other upside is that this community is debt free. We had a realtor tell us that Ocean Ridge is having financial difficulty, but I can't speak from persoanl knowledge, just that this realtor did not recommend that we look there.

Best of luck on your search.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:52 PM

Thank you very much for this replies! We did run through Brunswick Forest - and liked how there are shops and medical offices right in front of the complex - but the lot prices seemed high for 'pond view' which is what we want. But, BF is still on my 'short list'.....with Ocean Ridge and St.James. Going back in April so I will know more....also -- we really want a custom home as hubby is a real radio control airplane nut and needs his hobby space as well as space for his work shop with his large table saw and stuff.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 PM

after our second trip South, I totally agre with your analysis of the plantations:
Originally Posted by caco54

Beaches
1 Sunset OR
2 Holden WR
3 Oak Island STJ

Golf
1 STJ
2 OR (close second)
3 WR

Location to "action"
1 OR
2 STJ
3 WR

Ammenities
1 STJ
2 OR
3 WR

1 STJ
2 WR
3 OR

Style of "homes"
2 STJ
3 WR

Its a hard decision and if anyone has further comments, please let us know. Wish Winding River had pond lots that were NOT on the main drags - how stupid was that decision!!!! People WILL pay for water views of golf ponds....we'll see what happpens....

Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 PM

99 posts, read 243,546 times
Smile Available shopping at Winding River

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

, Just returned from our third recon trip to Brunswick County, NC. A new LOWES FOODS will soon be built, on 211 about six miles South of Winding River Plantation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina