U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:57 PM

2,655 posts, read 1,545,959 times

Advertisements

Ocracoke island has what you're describing! We love it there. Kind of hard to get to but totally worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 01:09 PM

10,670 posts, read 11,292,569 times
You might like Ocracoke, Holden Beach, Bald Head Island, Wrightsville (not so much "cute", but lots of things to do), Emerald Isle/Pine Knoll Shores/Atlantic Beach/Beaufort, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Duck, Corolla.

Where have you been that you didn't find what you were looking for?

Old 09-27-2017, 01:12 PM

6,688 posts, read 8,046,995 times
I'm kinda partial to Calabash now

Old 09-27-2017, 01:41 PM

9,776 posts, read 4,991,647 times
I have to agree with Ocracoke. Its a long drive (plus a ferry ride), but it's worth it. Very quiet and quaint. Not too crowded. Just slow and peaceful.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:41 PM

3,800 posts, read 9,725,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Which beach did you go to? NC is home to a lot of beaches.

I'd try the Oak Island / Caswell Beach / Southport area. Southport has the cute town that you're looking for, and Oak Island / Caswell Beach has the nice beach you're looking for. Roughly 15 minutes apart.
We just bought a home in Southport in July and we'll be retiring there in about 18-20 months.
We are both from New England and as soon as we drove through, we knew it was the place for us! It reminds us of a small coastal town in Mass. Great downtown with lots of interesting shops.

Take the ferry out to Bald Head Island (no cars, drive around in a golf cart).

Gorgeous beaches only minutes away as above poster mentioned (Oak Island, Caswell Beach). Caswell Beach is my favorite, secluded, quiet with dunes.

Eat at Fishy Fishy or Provision.

Southport was named the happiest seaside town in 2015. Here's the link:

Southport Voted "America's Happiest Seaside Town" by Coastal Living - Southport NC - TownofSouthportNC.com

Old 09-27-2017, 02:55 PM

5,875 posts, read 8,836,161 times
Adding one that might bring some disagreement, but if you look past it being a little rougher around the edges - Carolina Beach could fit the bill as well. I think they've redone the boardwalk, and there's a charming little park around a lake that is host to numerous events including a weekly farmer's market. Lots of restaurants, and it runs right into the much cleaner (ha) Kure Beach, then Ft. Fisher, where you can get a ferry to Southport. Whenever I visit that area, if I'm there for more than one day I try to go to all of them.

Kure Beach has also redone their waterfront park and it's lovely. Just a few restaurants there. You have to go through Carolina Beach to get to it (unless you take the back road - Dow Road - faster and less traffic).

I used to despise Carolina Beach and have completely changed my mind about it after spending more time there. Great surf community.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:31 AM

8,272 posts, read 22,414,113 times
South Port, Beaufort, Some of the Outer banks, New Bern, although many of these are "coastal" and while located on the water, not really on the beach itself.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:46 AM

111 posts, read 206,411 times
Unless you can walk to the beach it's not a beach town. When you say only minutes to the beach by car, how many minutes 30, 60 or 80????

Ron W.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:16 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
Due to rampant development, there are no cute beach towns, Excepting the outer banks, most beach towns are condos, surf shops and other stuff.

As far as towns close to the beach, I wold vote for Beaufort, then Southport. Oh, on big weekends you can take the "over" with total confidence on a 15 minute trip to beach.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,352,813 times
The best NC towns with beach access...

Wrightsville Beach (offseason)
Topsail Beach
Emerald Isle
Ocean Isle Beach
Duck
Corrolla
Kure Beach

I would list Nags Head and Carolina Beach a bit down the list...they are very commercial and good towns, but rarely quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or