U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 02:57 PM

787 posts, read 3,324,580 times

Advertisements

Thanks Roxors for explaining about the schools down in Pender County. Your remarks were pretty much the same as my former SIL were. So I am guessing there is some proof to her complaints. Although I still say she probably was part of the problem. She had problems with every teacher these girls had it seemed. And it was petty stuff usually. I guess David (my BIL) was just fed up period and the school issue was as good as any to spout off about. Oh I was going to ask too isn't there a Corning Company down in that area that is pretty good to work at? David has a commerical and residential yard maintanence business of his own that he has built up and he seems to be doing pretty well with that.

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 04-28-2006 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2006, 08:08 PM

915 posts, read 2,314,764 times
Yes, there is a Corning plant in Wilmington, used to be one of the better places to work. I think they've gone through a lot of downsizing though, and it's difficult to get a job there. A lot of new retail in town, I was just down there last weekend and was surprised at all of the new development.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,007 times
Hi Salatheel from CT - I am origanlly from IL, lived in the Charlotte area until the first of this year and now live at Holden Beach right between MB and Wilmington. I did love being near the Charlotte/Lake Norman metropolis's, but here I have Wilmington and MB as rather large cities and the beach is awesome. Something you might like to consider are the communites that are in the area that have all of the cool things like a pool and tennis courts in nice neighborhoods, that also own a community beach club - so that you get the pleasures of the beach without the million dollars to buy the ocean front lot. I can send you links - are we allowed to put those on here?
The taxes are 54cents per 100K, much lower than I hear are up there and just below Pender Co. mentioned in a thread above is Brunswick County one of the booming counties in the county, but not as expensive as New Hanover.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:41 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,409,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Hi Salatheel from CT - I am origanlly from IL, lived in the Charlotte area until the first of this year and now live at Holden Beach right between MB and Wilmington. I did love being near the Charlotte/Lake Norman metropolis's, but here I have Wilmington and MB as rather large cities and the beach is awesome. Something you might like to consider are the communites that are in the area that have all of the cool things like a pool and tennis courts in nice neighborhoods, that also own a community beach club - so that you get the pleasures of the beach without the million dollars to buy the ocean front lot. I can send you links - are we allowed to put those on here?
The taxes are 54cents per 100K, much lower than I hear are up there and just below Pender Co. mentioned in a thread above is Brunswick County one of the booming counties in the county, but not as expensive as New Hanover.
This area sounds really nice and affordable, but it is right on the coast. I would love to be somewhere like that but my fear of hurricanes is preventing me from looking there.

How do you guys deal with that in Holden Beach?

Old 07-03-2006, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 5,007 times
At Holden Beach - WE'RE JUST RENTING! If a storm comes, we'll just evacuate and hope the renters insurance covers it! And, that is the only way we could afford to live there, we came across a wonderful deal to rent long term.
The area where the community is - is in Leland. It is west of Wilmington (opposite direction from the beach), it's above the 100 year flood plain, so you don't have to have flood insurance. But you get to enjoy the beach through the community beach club - and not have to worry about the storms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina