U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 06:48 AM

291 posts, read 571,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
If you are inclined to eat at home, go to the dock in Calabash around 3:30-4:00 PM and meet the shrimp boat. They sell shrimp right off the boat and will de-head if you prefer for a dollar a pound.
Get there on time though, the catch sells fast!
Excellent. This type of information is exactly what I was looking for. Now this may sound like an ignorant question, but is there only one shrimp boat that comes in at the end of the day or multiple? Do they have any type of signage or can you literally walk down after they dock and ask to purchase? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:43 AM

2,760 posts, read 7,063,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
Excellent. This type of information is exactly what I was looking for. Now this may sound like an ignorant question, but is there only one shrimp boat that comes in at the end of the day or multiple? Do they have any type of signage or can you literally walk down after they dock and ask to purchase? Thanks so much.
Drive down River Rd toward the intercoastal, you pass Boundary House on the left (not bad) and Ella's on the right (fried seafood). Bear right on Nance St. and in-between Captain Johns and Captain Nances' is a small dock where the boat comes in. Go up to the boat and tell them how many pounds you want, they will weigh them, de-head them (if you want...it is worth the dollar/pound extra) pay them (cash).

Calabash Waterfront Seafood Shack is a restaurant down there that sends out its own boat every morning to provide their restaurant with fresh catch.

Calabash Style seafood is pretty much fried.

Oh and that is where you can board the gambling boats if that is something you enjoy.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:14 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,453,655 times
Quote:
Drive down River Rd toward the intercoastal, you pass Boundary House on the left (not bad) and Ella's on the right (fried seafood). Bear right on Nance St. and in-between Captain Johns and Captain Nances' is a small dock where the boat comes in. Go up to the boat and tell them how many pounds you want, they will weigh them, de-head them (if you want...it is worth the dollar/pound extra) pay them (cash).

Calabash Waterfront Seafood Shack is a restaurant down there that sends out its own boat every morning to provide their restaurant with fresh catch.

Calabash Style seafood is pretty much fried.

Oh and that is where you can board the gambling boats if that is something you enjoy.
You sure about that? I thought hey went out of Little River?

Old 03-01-2018, 12:12 PM

2,760 posts, read 7,063,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You sure about that? I thought hey went out of Little River?
OOPS! You are right, I was thinking about the Lucky Strike fishing charters.
Thanks for catching that

Old 03-01-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
OOPS! You are right, I was thinking about the Lucky Strike fishing charters.
Thanks for catching that
No problem...I just didn't want people thinking they could get on the gambling boat in Calabash.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:05 PM

Jersey J and BC thank you both so much. This is something that we are definitely going to take advantage of. Love finding local places. Would always rather support local sources especially with seafood.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:30 AM

19 posts, read 19,064 times
This is why I am an avid reaader of posts related to the NC coastal area and specifically Brunswick County. My wife and I are in the "planning" stages of retiring in the area of Sunset beach. WE love to cook at home and experiment with new recipies. I had no idea we could buy fresh shrimp right off the boat in Calabash. OMG! what treat that would be. I love shrimp but I absolutely hate to buy the ones "farm raised" that you find in the supermarket. Loaded with antibioltics and other "crap" coming from China. No way we buy that!

Thank you JERSEYJ!!

Old 03-04-2018, 08:38 AM

19 posts, read 19,064 times
Byt the way, we spent a week "exploring the area" during the Summer of 2017, and we had dinner almost everyday in some the wonderful Calabash Restaurants and what a treat that was. I think I put on 5 xtra lbs with all that delicious "fried" seafood :-)

Old 03-04-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio2018 View Post
Byt the way, we spent a week "exploring the area" during the Summer of 2017, and we had dinner almost everyday in some the wonderful Calabash Restaurants and what a treat that was. I think I put on 5 xtra lbs with all that delicious "fried" seafood :-)
donjulio
Would you mind sharing the places you ate at? We have a second home in sea trails and so far have only explored sunset beach. We really like eating at twin lakes near the boat ramp in sunset beach. We have yet to truly explore calabash. Heading down again in April and plan on eating in calabash about 2-3 times. We also will definitely try buying from the shrimping boats. On a related note, does anyone know if the shrimping season is year round?

Old 03-04-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
donjulio
Would you mind sharing the places you ate at? We have a second home in sea trails and so far have only explored sunset beach. We really like eating at twin lakes near the boat ramp in sunset beach. We have yet to truly explore calabash. Heading down again in April and plan on eating in calabash about 2-3 times. We also will definitely try buying from the shrimping boats. On a related note, does anyone know if the shrimping season is year round?
Shrimp season is pretty much spring to fall. Some places freeze shrimp during the season and sell them during the off season. If frozen correctly, its very hard to tell the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or