U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 01:43 PM
LLN

4,932 posts, read 8,452,733 times

Advertisements

Here is a link to a summary of NC shrimp:

http://http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/nc-shrimp

The only downside to any of the locations from Oak Island to the SC line is the discharge from the Cape Fear River. This “stains” the water for some distance. The seawater is not muddy or brown, but lacks the clarity, of say, waters off Emerald Isle. This is most pronounced at Caswell and the farther west one goes, the less the impact.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 05:56 PM

19 posts, read 19,330 times
Pada1, we tried several places along River Rd. But by far our favorite place was the Boundary House and Captain John's seafood house. The Calabash Sea Food Hut was also good.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 AM

292 posts, read 573,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio2018 View Post
Pada1, we tried several places along River Rd. But by far our favorite place was the Boundary House and Captain John's seafood house. The Calabash Sea Food Hut was also good.
Excellent, we will give a few of these a try.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:26 AM

2,760 posts, read 7,073,616 times
We always enjoy the Grapevine in Calabash.
Grapevine Mediterranean Restaurant and Lounge

Old 03-05-2018, 02:36 PM

33,959 posts, read 14,924,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
After a lot of research and patience we have found a place in Sea Trails near Sunset Beach NC for our 2nd home. I'm not sure I can find anything wrong with the place (except their property management takes 35% of rental income). Can anyone tell me negatives of the are? As of now we plan on going down this weekend to explore and possibly make an offer. Not really searching for the bad, but it almost seems to good to be true Hope it is.
Thanks so much
I prefer American owners. NOT Chinese billionaires.

A friend works at 1 of the golf courses. He say they haven't a clue on how to run a golf course.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Join the Elks in Calabash, very active crowd and a great lunch.
Not to knock the Elks but, if you are a vet or a son of one, etc., you can join the American Legion.

Cheaper prices and even better lunch then the Elks.

GREAT sandwiches for $5 and less WHICH INCLUDES a side at no extra cost.

Cheaper beer prices also.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Drive down River Rd toward the intercoastal, you pass Boundary House on the left (not bad) and Ella's on the right (fried seafood). Bear right on Nance St. and in-between Captain Johns and Captain Nances' is a small dock where the boat comes in. Go up to the boat and tell them how many pounds you want, they will weigh them, de-head them (if you want...it is worth the dollar/pound extra) pay them (cash).

Calabash Waterfront Seafood Shack is a restaurant down there that sends out its own boat every morning to provide their restaurant with fresh catch.

Calabash Style seafood is pretty much fried.

Oh and that is where you can board the gambling boats if that is something you enjoy.
"Calabash Style seafood is pretty much fried."

It is advertised as "lightly battered" NOT deep fried like most fried food is.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio2018 View Post
For a good time and "light fare" you can't beat Patio's in Little River.

Surprisingly the BEST Antipasto salad I have ever had. And I have had LOT of them.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:20 PM

292 posts, read 573,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I prefer American owners. NOT Chinese billionaires.

A friend works at 1 of the golf courses. He say they haven't a clue on how to run a golf course.
It's an unfortunate truth to some, but the Chinese billionaires have put a ton of money into all 3 courses over the last 2 years. All new tiff bermuda grass on the greens, reconstructed the bunkers and are currently re-doing the cart paths. Who owns it hasn't changed the day to day operations much, if at all. I would also prefer American owned, but I'm not Xenophobic enough to disavow the fact that a good business man is a good business man (or woman)

Old 03-05-2018, 03:22 PM

6,028 posts, read 3,501,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Calabash Style seafood is pretty much fried."

It is advertised as "lightly battered" NOT deep fried like most fried food is.
Its lightly battered AND deep fried, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or