Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:40 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,005,521 times

Advertisements

Here is a fun article on Calabash seafood-

IN CALABASH, N.C., IT'S SEAFOOD APLENTY - NYTimes.com

Jo Anne Coleman, of Seafood Hut, could not define her own style of cooking, "All I know," she said, "is I put it in my deep fryer and cook it. We have nothing fancy here".

Another fun bit (for us oldsters) is that Jimmy Durante was a regular in Calabash and he would end his broadcasts with "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are."

Jo Anne Coleman claims that he was talking about her MIL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 05:35 AM

58,448 posts, read 26,773,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
It's an unfortunate truth to some, but the Chinese billionaires have put a ton of money into all 3 courses over the last 2 years. All new tiff bermuda grass on the greens, reconstructed the bunkers and are currently re-doing the cart paths. Who owns it hasn't changed the day to day operations much, if at all. I would also prefer American owned, but I'm not Xenophobic enough to disavow the fact that a good business man is a good business man (or woman)
With over 30 courses in the immediate are I prefer to spend my money at American owned courses.

You also are free to spend wherever you want.

And like I said my neighbor WORKS there,a they have LONG way to go.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:37 AM

58,448 posts, read 26,773,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Here is a fun article on Calabash seafood-

IN CALABASH, N.C., IT'S SEAFOOD APLENTY - NYTimes.com

Jo Anne Coleman, of Seafood Hut, could not define her own style of cooking, "All I know," she said, "is I put it in my deep fryer and cook it. We have nothing fancy here".

Another fun bit (for us oldsters) is that Jimmy Durante was a regular in Calabash and he would end his broadcasts with "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are."

Jo Anne Coleman claims that he was talking about her MIL
"Another fun bit (for us oldsters) is that Jimmy Durante was a regular in Calabash and he would end his broadcasts with "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.""

This has been disputed a lot.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Another fun bit (for us oldsters) is that Jimmy Durante was a regular in Calabash and he would end his broadcasts with "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.""

This has been disputed a lot.
Absolutely! But it is fun folklore!

Old 07-14-2018, 09:40 PM

Updating this thread a tad.
There is a new restaurant in Calabash-

http://theoysterrock.com

It is really quite good and a lovely waterfront spot.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:11 AM

342 posts, read 793,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Updating this thread a tad.
There is a new restaurant in Calabash-

http://theoysterrock.com

It is really quite good and a lovely waterfront spot.
Great little boardwalk they constructed on the river too. Also, since it is not open until 4pm everyday you can see people fishing and crabbing on the dock all morning long.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:39 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,481,365 times
any reviews from people who have eaten there?

Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 PM

We have eaten there twice, 1st time, late night return from MB airport. Light, late meal, me flamed romaine salad, he fish tacos. Good beer selection.

2nd night, with friends, he/she crab soup (they loved it), clam chowder (Great! absolutely NO grit and tender clams). Should have stopped there! But no. Fried dill pickles, a favourite and they did not disappoint. Garlic smashed potatoes, collards, catch of the day (don't remember what it was but both in our group loved it). One of us was disappointed with the pork chop, but who eats a pork chop dockside?
Service was good, ambiance ok, a bit loud but both times were busy, lively crowd.
Nice to walk on the dock by the river. Did I mention a good beer selection?

Last edited by jerseyj; 07-17-2018 at 10:44 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 06:19 AM

8,691 posts, read 4,929,413 times
Just read an article in The Brunswick Beacon about Sea Trails.... Wish I could post the article...but I can`t. Worth a read, if you are interested in this community

Old 07-26-2018, 07:24 PM

342 posts, read 793,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Just read an article in The Brunswick Beacon about Sea Trails.... Wish I could post the article...but I can`t. Worth a read, if you are interested in this community
The owner is closing down the rental program and the convention center. Should not really make a difference to anyone that is a homeowner there. The village activity center is closing down but that was only used by renters mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina