U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 12:25 AM

2 posts, read 8,460 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Wilmington but plan on visiting this summer with my family. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what areas are considered safe and what areas one should stay away from due to higher crime?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:54 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,350,769 times
there isn't any rhyme or reason to the crime down here. if you are in the heart of downtown during the day you will be find. a lot of homeless people and beggars once the sun goes down though. downtown is generally safe. once you get to about 7th or 8th street, it gets bad until you get to around 20th. then it is good for a few blocks and then it gets bad again!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 36,739 times
jmarquise is right about the spottiness of the crime. I've lived downtown in the "historic district" and had my car broken into, but also have lived on the north side of downtown and had zero problems. There are pockets of areas that you wouldn't want to go walking at night, but there are plenty of areas downtown and elsewhere in the city that are just fine. Best advice I can give is to use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 22,703 times
Default Wilmington NC Crime

Higher Crime rates in Wilmington NC are routinely found in:

The area between Hugh Mcrea park And Dawson Street. This includes Jarvee where Wachovia locked it's doors to walk-in customers. This area has also proven problematic to service workers - police, fire, power, sewer, cabs. This area occasionally has problems with flying debree over the roadways.

Avoid Castle Street at intersetions grater than 5th street and less than 17th street.

Avoid Northern Downtown Wilmington east of 4th street, west of 17th street, north of Princess & south of the 3rd street bridge (bypass). This area has problems with gunshots, stabbingsm and drugs.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:51 PM

22 posts, read 84,591 times
Stay away from the downtown area and "numbered streets". The river area is usually pretty safe and a block west of it due to the tourists and activity going on there.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:39 PM

12 posts, read 36,739 times
Why would you tell people to stay away from downtown and the "numbered streets". I don't think this is exactly accurate. There are certain areas that have a better reputation than others, but to say that all downtown is unsafe is not true. Remember the murder in Landfall??

Old 03-20-2008, 01:47 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,350,769 times
I actually don't find any place in the immediate downtown area to be unsafe. you are good up to 3rd-4th st. not really sure why you would even be walking in that area though unless you had to go to new hanover county court or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina