U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 PM

67 posts, read 195,761 times

Advertisements

Hi all- I am looking for some ideas on a get away this Easter Weekend. Being a recent relo to RTP, I am not sure of destintations, drive times, and attractions. I would like to head to the outter banks or beach for a nice overnighter. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Maybe Kitty Hawk, Cape Hattaras? Does not even have to be that far out, something long the coast line? I would love to hear what some others have done. Let me hear from you!! Thanks in advance for the advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,637,601 times
i have been to Nags Head and we are going again this summer. wewill be staying at the Surfside hotel rigth on the beach this time. Last time we stayed in Manteo which is just a 10 minute drive to nags head, nd it was beautiful!!! i highly recomend it. we stayed at the Sacrborough Inn.
but dont know if any of these places are open for Easter weekend?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:29 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,446,144 times
Its not exactly tourist season yet. I went a few years ago around Easter time, and the only restaurant that was open was a pizza place. Dont get me wrong, the Outer banks are a great place to visit, I would suggest going after memorial day weekend. (Its about a 4 hr drive to answer your question).

What kind of getaway are you looking for? Kids? Family? Other adults? Just you? Got plenty of suggestions, just need a bit more info.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:37 AM

67 posts, read 195,761 times
Thanks for the suggestions/information thus far. I am anxious to get out and see some of the this beautiful state. We relo'd a few months ago and have yet to leave the RTP area. I am looking for any suggestions for a nice overnighter that would be fun for the whole family. We have 2 young boys, 8 and 5, that we would need to make sure are entertained. I think a 4 hr drive would be a bit much for a overright trip. Any other places along the coast worth checking out? Anything in the mountains? I want to be able to drive some where, get out walk around and ejoy local attractions, and come back. I was thinking of places like Kitty Hawk where you have the history and beaches for exploring and learning. Sorry for the "scatter brain" responses, but this is what we were thinking about...

Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,891,179 times
I'd head to Wilmington--way closer than the Outer Banks. There's a battleship you can tour (probably open Saturday, but not Sunday), some nice gardens, the beach, good food, Cape Fear river...
This is an easy day trip, but even better if you can spend the night.
You could try Boone for a mountain excursion...

Old 03-19-2008, 11:45 AM

2,270 posts, read 8,288,677 times
I'd say Wilmington too, as well as one of the local beaches (Wrightsville or Carolina). The battleship is actually open every day, as it is a memorial. Battleship North Carolina Visitor Information Hours and Fees (http://www.battleshipnc.com/visitors/hourfees.php - broken link)

There is also a nice aquarium at Fort Fisher, a little south of Carolina Beach and Wilmington. http://www.ncaquariums.com/

There is a nice old area for walking on the river in Wilmington, and my 9 year old nephew LOVES the Serpentarium. Cape Fear Serpentarium Wilmington North Carolina
Try Elijah's for lunch.

You can be in Wilmington in about 2 hours. The beaches are another 1/2 hour or so.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,446,144 times
I also second Wilmington. I would pick up one of those "Frommer" or Rick Stevens book on Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach/NC coast. They got some great suggestions!

If you can handle a 3-4 hour drive (check mapquest for better time) I would also recommend Myrtle Beach. We drove down one year during this time and it was GREAT. Low crowds, lots to do. Hit up MagiQuest at Broadway at the beach. Its alot of fun!
Pretty much your whole family will be entertained the entire weekend at MB.

NC Zoo (asheboro) is about 2 hours away. Plenty of musuems around the triangle area too if you decide to do local.

Mountains are about 4-5 hours away, if you want to head in the opposite direction.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:14 AM

21 posts, read 68,486 times
I know that the weekend is over, but with a 9 year old son, I'd pass this tidbit on-- Get a membership to the NC Museum of Natural Science and then take a look at all of the science museums around that you can go to for free. Then check out the town that they are located in and you'll find plenty of things to do and the kids won't be bored. Additionally, Old Winston Salem isn't too far, the Zoo is in Asheboro and not to far away either. You can make both an overnight adventure even though they can be day trips depending on the mood of the kids. Pick up a NC travel brochure or google NC events and then pick one and go! There's lots to do around here as well--I found the thread about "digging on Rt. 98" and we went Garnet hunting instead of going to our neighborhood easter egg hunt this weekend. Great fun! Enjoy your time, whereever you are/go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina