U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 1,381 times

Advertisements

I know there are a lot of threads on relocating to the area, but many seem old so I wanted to see if I could get a fresh perspective! We are a family of five, with three boys ages 10,7,4. My husband works from home and I am not currently working so we don't have to worry about finding work. We like Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, Beaufort...don't know too much about Morehead City. We want access to beach and sound, we eventually want a sound-front home with a dock. We want to settle on an area to focus our search based on the community as a whole, as well as the schools.

Looks like according to Great Schools White Oak Elementary and Morehead Primary seem to be at the top...are thee differences between these two schools/communities?

Any thoughts on Bogue Sound Elementary? It seems to be rated lower than the other too, was curious about that...

Middle Schools...Morehead City and Broad Creek are top two...any differences between these two schools communities?

High schools...Croatan and East Carteret are the top two rated...are there differences between these two schools/communities?

I guess I am just looking for the right fit for us and sometimes schools have different focuses or aptitude for certain things based on the community that it serves.

We are fairly liberal minded, relocating from Cary, NC, would like to get involved in the community and find activities, sports, events for the family and kids. We don't want a fast paced life, we'd like to enjoy a laid back outdoor lifestyle and enjoy boating, fishing, hanging out at the beach. We eventually want a single family house on the sound and could probably spent 400-600K, but we may rent or start small first to make sure we like the area. We like the access to beach and sound that Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle offers, but we'd be open to other areas on the sound, if there were clear benefits for the kids as far as activities/community.

ANY comments, suggestions would be appreciated. We will try to get down to the area as much as we can but any help I could find online would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 06:30 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa3gboys View Post
ANY comments, suggestions would be appreciated. We will try to get down to the area as much as we can but any help I could find online would be great!
Many of the folks (like me) who post on this forum are retired, or else they are real estate professionals. I do know a family with kids who live in Cape Carteret and they have no complaints about their elementary school.

It sounds like you have a good general plan, but I can't help with specific schools. You may have to be patient for anyone to give you a first-hand answer.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:27 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It sounds like you have a good general plan, but I can't help with specific schools. You may have to be patient for anyone to give you a first-hand answer.
You might get better answers by contacting the schools directly. See if you can get a tour while they are in session. Perhaps they would let you interview a parent in the PTO. There might also be other social media groups specifically for parents in Newport or Morehead City, so you might try Google for them. For example, there is a FB group for the Bogue Sound Elementary School PTO, and it has parents posting in the group. You could "friend" one and see what they say.

BTW, my acquaintance has grandsons in White Oak Elementary School. They are good students who like sports.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 374 times
Default Did you have any luck?

We are in the same boat of considering a move from the Apex area to the coast for a little slower, smaller life style. No job concerns, but, concerned about schools as we are at a really great elementary school now. would be interested to hear what you found out?

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2018, 07:07 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl83 View Post
We are in the same boat of considering a move from the Apex area to the coast for a little slower, smaller life style. No job concerns, but, concerned about schools as we are at a really great elementary school now. would be interested to hear what you found out?

Thanks!
Wilmington has some excellent schools if you're interested in that area. This is a great site for school info: https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or