U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:39 PM

22 posts, read 82,141 times

Advertisements

I live in VA and will be moving to NC. I wanted to know if there are areas of NC that are kind of close to VA that are nice, family friendly and affordable. I don't know anything about Ahoskie but the information I've seen online looks wonderful! I wanted to know what the "real" people of NC have to say about the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 03:59 PM

1,684 posts, read 5,683,220 times
Wow, moving t0 smallville Ahoskie? lol. Actually, that is where I am from. How to describe Ahoskie- rural (pop. 4500 and largest in the county to boot), probably 65-70% African American, local median income is only $22769 so you can see it's a financially depressed area. There is one each of most major chains in Ahoskie but that is all. They only have two shopping centers and one downtown that unfortunately has seen its better days. Murfreesboro which is about 20 mins away is a historical small town and has more of a cohesive small town feel imo. There are a few older homes that are preservered there. Even still all in all Hertford County is a depressed place if that matters. Nearby Gates County, about 25 mins away and which borders the VA/NC state line, is a bit better (not by much) but a lot of folks commute to VA for work. All in all its a very rural area. There is plenty of open spaces to be sure. Lots of people fish, hunt and that kind of thing. My whole family still lives in nearby Winton (the county seat population about 1500) which has the Chown River running through it. It's pretty cohesive, has kind of a small town charm but again a tiny place. As a single professional it's not for me but if you desire rural living it may be what you are looking for. The schools in Hertford County are not good at all (actually the state was about to take over one in Ahoskie due to its low SOL scores) so you may consider home schooling or a private school (Ridgecroft is between Murfreesboro and Ahoskie but can be pricey). Depending on where you are coming from in VA, Ahoskie could be quite the culture shock.

Last edited by citydweller; 12-09-2006 at 04:11 PM..

Old 12-09-2006, 10:14 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Quick Facts from the Census Bureau

http://censtats.census.gov/data/NC/1603700500.pdf

Old 12-13-2006, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the honest feedback. Would you say the semi small town atmosphere would provide adequate "neighborly" activities. Like kids playing together outside or being able to explore and ride bikes without needing a cellphone for safety with a locator device in it? (I'm exaggerating) But nonetheless; I'd love to find a place wher I'd feel safe sending my kid outdoors and being able to say come in when the lights come on verses, don't go past the stop sign.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:31 PM

Okay, obviously pushing the return key does not equal new paragraph...I was throwing out a few questions regarding your response to see if Ahoskie or another nearby town would be a reasonable enough place to live for awhile. you mentioned "depressed" a few times, do you mean the people seem lifeless or upset or the economy is so poor and slow that the town itself seems stagnent? I don't plan on trying to make a living in North Carolina's payscale, of course, if I had to I'd want to know if it were possible. Beleive it or not, VA has high standards of living but the payscale sucks (ooh pardon the language). A good job in VA would make a great salary in NC but a good job in VA is only found in DC. Many people are finding it very hard to pay the cost of living for taxes, food etc. on VA pay. The stress levels here are outrageous and it leads to a lot of cut throat activity. I'm hoping an area that boasts similar scenery but more house for less money and maybe a slower lifestyle (quieter) might be a nice change.
I thought it interesting you referred to smallville, that's what my son said when we were driving to Elizabeth City to check out the area. Every time we drive down he starts quoting songs from the show. Good thing he has such a sense of humor. So do you know anything about Elizabeth City or Edenton? And on another Ahoskie note, is it a place where once you move there you can't get out?

Old 12-14-2006, 06:59 PM

1,684 posts, read 5,683,220 times
The Ahoskie area is economically depressed. It seems the few nice neighborhoods in Ahoskie proper have started that slippery slope downward. I guess folks are moving on or such but it saddens me to see that. In saying that nice housing seems to dot the countryside rather than in the town itself. There may be some decent paying jobs in the area but they may difficult to find. I have been away now for 11 years and don't really know the job market. Might I ask what field of work you are in? Elizabeth City is a fast growing bedroom community of the Hampton Roads area and offers a lot more housing for your dollar. I am not sure about the schools there. Edenton is on the cusp of a boom as retirees move there. It is quite picturesque of a town with its old homes and the Albemarle Sound. Again, I am not sure about the schools there either. Some people are moving to Moyock NC which is very close to Chesapeake (45 mins I think) and it has very good schools but is kind of a rural area. Wish you the best!

Old 12-14-2006, 11:15 PM

505 posts, read 2,313,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet-T View Post
I live in VA and will be moving to NC. I wanted to know if there are areas of NC that are kind of close to VA that are nice, family friendly and affordable. I don't know anything about Ahoskie but the information I've seen online looks wonderful! I wanted to know what the "real" people of NC have to say about the place.
Ahoskie is like all the northeastern and eastern NC smaller towns. If you were to move there, you should choose the country. Because the towns themselves are very depressed, as one person stated. By depressed I mean dead, old and not kept up, empty buildings, and crime. (High Black and mexican populations)

E City or Edenton would be my choice though. Edenton is an historical town. The downtown area has been preserved.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:01 AM

For the moment, I work in an HBCU. I'm suppose to be a secretary but as usual, the job surpasses the title on all levels. So I spend most of my secretarial day counseling students, consoling parents and pretending I don't know anything about anything that goes on at the campus.
I am hoping to move into the field I have worked with off and on which is writing and real estate investing. I enjoy both and the pay is a lot higher than what I make here (long story as to why I took a "job" in the first place). But now that I can cut some of my losses, I am planning to move to a nice quiet place (away from family and "friends") and do what I've always wanted to do.

I've often heard of Moyock when there's a hurricane or weather issues. Is this a low lying area?
I've visited Elizabeth city several times and it seemed like a really busy little town like it was the watering hole for the surrounding area. Are there quiet housing areas in Elizabeth city? I've asked my realtor some of these questions hoping to get an honest answer (which isn't likely), but I'll be visiting the cities over the Holidays to find out which area would have more of the things I would need to have nearby.

I'm glad I found this website, everyone here is so helpful and honest, Thanks!!

Old 02-22-2007, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,182 times
Default I love Ahoskie

I lived in Ahoskie from 1958-1980 and it was a great place to grow up. The people are friendly and unpretentious. They are welcoming to newcomers. If there is a tragedy, all the people gather round. Friendships last for a lifetime. Maybe I sound a little idealistic, but that is exactly the way I feel. Yes, the area is economically depressed, but the rural land is beautiful and change comes slowly. If I could, I'd move back there, even though I love where we live now. Ahoskie is where my roots are.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:15 AM

I'm so glad to hear good news. I've visited several times and have found a cute neighborhood that seems to be growing. It looks like a nice quiet place for children and the people I've met seem relatively friendly.

So far, I'm seriously considering this town as the top of my list for relocation. There seems to be plenty of room for growth so maybe the younger crowd will do more to put this little town on the map. (not so much activity that it's no longer a small town though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina