U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2018, 05:17 AM
 
36,850 posts, read 16,083,784 times
Reputation: 8368

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Relax. BC1960 was simply asking a legit question since the conversation had drifted towards the proposed river crossing and Slay The Great's post that you quoted made no mention of I-140.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You responded to a post that was talking about the Cape Fear Crossing, not the newly opened section of I-140.
"shifted off topic"

People are NOT supposed to "shrift off topic.

They are supposed to STAY on topoic.

It is called "thread hijacking." and is OT allowed by the TOS of this forum.

MY comment was ON TOPIC.

Sorry if others cant follow allow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2018, 06:16 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"shifted off topic"

People are NOT supposed to "shrift off topic.

They are supposed to STAY on topoic.

It is called "thread hijacking." and is OT allowed by the TOS of this forum.

MY comment was ON TOPIC.

Sorry if others cant follow allow.
No idea what you're talking about, or why you are so agitated. But its ok.

Last edited by BC1960; 01-08-2018 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,251 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Reputation: 5082
We took the I-140 extension yesterday from Wilmington on a trip to Little River SC. Southbound (westbound?) the trip was very smooth. However, northbound/ eastbound, the beginning is not properly marked. There is very little warning that it is a right exit. In addition the numbers do not indicate an interstate. The interstate nmber should be enclosed by a blue diamond, but the sign was just black on white. We almost missed the turn onto I-140.

We have concluded that it would not help most commuters into Wilmington as there are only 3 other entrances. It is designed to be a bypass only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 06:47 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
We have concluded that it would not help most commuters into Wilmington as there are only 3 other entrances. It is designed to be a bypass only.
Yes, thats what it was designed to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Danville, VA
4,611 posts, read 3,026,114 times
Reputation: 2899
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
In addition the numbers do not indicate an interstate. The interstate nmber should be enclosed by a blue diamond, but the sign was just black on white. We almost missed the turn onto I-140.
The black & white NC-140 signs was temporary until the whole bypass was finished. NCDOT should be replacing those with interstate shields anytime now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 02:17 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The black & white NC-140 signs was temporary until the whole bypass was finished. NCDOT should be replacing those with interstate shields anytime now.
Its odd. I rode through there today and there are new signs that have been installed with the blue interstate shield saying I-140, but the old "black diamond" signs that say 140 are still up to. I guess DOT is going to change the old signs or cover over the diamond with the blue shield? I may email them and ask about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Danville, VA
4,611 posts, read 3,026,114 times
Reputation: 2899
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Its odd. I rode through there today and there are new signs that have been installed with the blue interstate shield saying I-140, but the old "black diamond" signs that say 140 are still up to. I guess DOT is going to change the old signs or cover over the diamond with the blue shield? I may email them and ask about it.
That doesn’t surprise me a bit. NCDOT is notoriously slow when correcting signs. For example, when the Goldsboro Bypass was being built in three sections, it was temporarily signed as NC-44 when the first two sections opened in 2011 & 2015, but once the final eastern section between Wayne Memorial Drive and US-70 near La Grange opened in May 2016, only that section was fully signed as US-70 Bypass. It took NCDOT a while before all of the NC-44 signs were replaced with US-70 Bypass. There was also a big screwup on the overhead signs at the eastern end of the bypass that NCDOT waited months to correct, which put a hurting on some of the businesses before the signs were corrected after the Wayne County Board of Commissioners brought it to their attention. They’re also taking their sweet time getting I-495 fully replaced by I-87 in Raleigh and Knightdale.

Back to I-140, those black diamond signs will likely come down rather than get covered by the blue shields. I can’t think of any case that a roadside black diamond was covered by an interstate shield.

Last edited by LM117; 02-27-2018 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 03:41 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
That doesn’t surprise me a bit. NCDOT is notoriously slow when correcting signs. For example, when the Goldsboro Bypass was being built in three sections, it was temporarily signed as NC-44 when the first two sections opened in 2011 & 2015, but once the final eastern section between Wayne Memorial Drive and US-70 near La Grange opened in May 2016, only that section was fully signed as US-70 Bypass. It took NCDOT a while before all of the NC-44 signs were replaced with US-70 Bypass. There was also a big screwup on the overhead signs at the eastern end of the bypass that NCDOT waited months to correct, which put a hurting on some of the businesses before the signs were corrected after the Wayne County Board of Commissioners brought it to their attention. They’re also taking their sweet time getting I-495 fully replaced by I-87 in Raleigh.

Back to I-140, those black diamond signs will likely come down rather than get covered by the blue shields. I can’t think of any case that a roadside black diamond was covered by an interstate shield.
Yeah, they are on much larger overhead signs with other road information so I was thinking they might cover up the old 140 signs in order to save money. Or maybe they are replacing the entire, large signs and its taking a while to fabricate them? I guess we'll find out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Danville, VA
4,611 posts, read 3,026,114 times
Reputation: 2899
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Yeah, they are on much larger overhead signs with other road information so I was thinking they might cover up the old 140 signs in order to save money. Or maybe they are replacing the entire, large signs and its taking a while to fabricate them? I guess we'll find out!
Overhead signs? Oh yeah, they’ll most likely cover the old 140 signs in that case. Pardon my brain fart, I don’t know why I was thinking of the roadside ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 03:49 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Overhead signs? Oh yeah, they’ll most likely cover the old 140 signs in that case. Pardon my brain fart, I don’t know why I was thinking of the roadside ones.
No problem, I should have been clearer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top