U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:27 PM

10,696 posts, read 11,336,851 times

Advertisements

ECU has a good hospital. It's not as good as Duke, and I don't think it's as good as UNC, but you could check that out to be sure. It's definitely good, though, and I would feel pretty confident in the care there for most things. If I had something super weird I might want to go to Duke.

Greenville discussion takes place in this forum although it's still about 2 hrs from the beach. Note that it takes about the same time to get to the beach from Raleigh as it does from Greenville. It's right at 2 hrs to Wrightsville Beach from Raleigh.

NC State in Raleigh has your vet hospital, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 PM

11,270 posts, read 19,818,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Goldenage, what about the E. Carolina U (Greenville) area? Leaned from another poster (poppydog) that the hospital there is cutting aged and looked them up. Don't they have member physician practices in the area?
Yes, doctors in the Vidant Medical system would have access to the ECU/Greenville hospital. Towns like Kinston and some others (?) would have docs affiliated with Vidant.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:05 AM

37,034 posts, read 16,141,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Hello, and thank you for reading my post. In a year and a half, I will be retiring and am looking for a more temperate climate in which to live. While I don't like humidity, it is FAR preferable to the bone-penetrating cold here in SE PA (which never formerly bothered me, but age has changed that, it seems).

While it would be heaven to be an hour's drive to the ocean, I'm afraid my price range is $100-150K, so even a bit further out is probably more realistic. I would like to be a driveable distance to a reputable hospital and some shops for basic needs. I do enjoy semi-rural areas and don't require many amenities other than a good seafood restaurant and stellar veterinary care.

I am looking for towns/neighborhoods which contain small single homes with a bit of yard for the dogs. I am NOT interested in retirement or 55+ communities

While I realize that this is not very descriptive, I truly don't require much at this stage (except central air, of course) . I live rather quietly with my canine companions and am sure to find a good church in my own time.

Thanks for your attention, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Brunswick County has plenty of places that I think suit your wishes.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:51 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,757,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
None of the hospitals east of Raleigh are cutting edge. The good new is Raleigh is 2 hours from the beach, and there is lots of open country and small towns in between. Its not rolling hills, though. Flat pine forest and farm fields.

Carolina East Medical Center in NEW BERN is always advertising that they are the only 5 star hospital in the state. Not sure what cutting edge means, but it appear to be pretty good. Going in for thumb surgery next week, if I cease posting, then maybe they are not as good as they think!

Old 01-06-2018, 09:04 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,757,976 times
Maybe I am missing something, but . . .

New Bern sounds like a perfect fit, in particular, the Riverside Historic District.

New Bern's hospital, Carolina East Medical Center, claims they are rated in the top 2.8% in the nation and they are also the only 5 star (whatever that means) hospital in NC. I think Carolina East, or the other major group, Coastal Carolina Health Care (CCHC) will have you covered. CarolinaEast Medical Center - New Bern, North Carolina

New Bern is about an hour to the coast, and possibly, in your lifetime, you will see the by-passes around James City and Havelock completed, thus slashing the time.

New Bern's shopping is adequate, with the worlds biggest Harris Teeter supermarket under construction. New Bern misses out on a lot of big national stores since we are about 45 minutes from Jacksonville, Greenville and Morehead City which have many of the mid range, not real high end nationals. Raleigh is an EZ two hour drive on interstate or interstate like highways.

For a town of less than 30,000, there are a number of excellent locally owned restaurants, I would opine the Bay Leaf, an Indian Restaurant here, is "world class." The Chelsea, Morgan's Grill, MJ's, and Persimmon's come to mind.

We have been very pleased with the Vet that we use (Animal Care Center). Talking with colleagues over the years, I believe most people in NB are pleased with the vet care down here.

The biggest negatives here are local government and city streets. Oh, and snow removal is a joke!

Old 01-12-2018, 09:26 AM

135 posts, read 128,910 times
I was thinking the same regarding New Bern...and we had the (unfortunate) benefit of visiting Carolina East's Emergency Room late one night - long story, but wife fell and got a fracture...we were very pleased with the care received...It definitely seems like it might be a good fit...or one of the other small towns in that area towards Greenville or towards Atlantic Beach.

While I'd suggest asking around in the Raleigh area forum, Clayton or another town outside Raleigh may also be a good fit. You would be west of I95 but as mentioned earlier, about the same distance to the beach as Greenville...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or