U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:34 AM

6,140 posts, read 2,848,086 times

Advertisements

Eastern NC recently faced a large snowstorm. As a result of this temps have plummeted to record cold values. Hardiness zones in eastern nc are 8A.

I would like you guys in eastern nc to post your observations of the affect this cold has had on vegetation in landscapes and woodland areas.

Im especially interested in seeing if any palm trees in the area were out right killed. Also check your Gardenias, Camellias, Crepe Myrtles, Magnolias, Fig trees, and any other typical plant in your landscape that very well may have been damaged by this cold blast. We have one more night of this... if you want to do anything you could protect some of your more sensitive plants for this one last night.

Let me know what you guys observe. Im really interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 05:48 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,447,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Eastern NC recently faced a large snowstorm. As a result of this temps have plummeted to record cold values. Hardiness zones in eastern nc are 8A.

I would like you guys in eastern nc to post your observations of the affect this cold has had on vegetation in landscapes and woodland areas.

Im especially interested in seeing if any palm trees in the area were out right killed. Also check your Gardenias, Camellias, Crepe Myrtles, Magnolias, Fig trees, and any other typical plant in your landscape that very well may have been damaged by this cold blast. We have one more night of this... if you want to do anything you could protect some of your more sensitive plants for this one last night.

Let me know what you guys observe. Im really interested.
LOL, really? The snow CAUSED the cold temperatures? Um, no. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:10 AM

Uhhmmm, you havent heard of radiational cooling? Oh dear... what caused the cold temps was an area of cold high pressure moving south from canada... high pressure is cold as it brings dry air and allows air to escape the atmosphere in a simplistic way of explaining... what does the snow have to do with this? Why is eastern nc the coldest part of the state right now?

Easy! Lets explain radiational cooling... on clear nights with little wind and high pressure warm air rises and escapes the atmosphere... now often times with snowcover the coldest temps on record are achieved... basically if there was no snowpack temps last night in eastern nc would have likely been 10-15 degrees warmer than they are... snow emits longwave radiation during the night... relfects sun during the day... cooler temps than othwerwise would be..

So next time do some research before you post... its partially my fault for assuming you guys understood what i meant.

https://www.weatherworksinc.com/radiational-cooling

Old 01-06-2018, 08:10 AM

784 posts, read 1,635,137 times
Yes, of course, we should all "cancel" any further snowfall in North Carolina ......

Now why didn't we all think of this before ????

Old 01-06-2018, 08:36 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,168,774 times
Coastal NC is not the coldest part of the state. I live in the mountains and it's colder here than it is there. Also, the entire east coast is suffering through record cold temps, all the way down to FL. While snow that is on the ground can keep temps down, the actual snow event didn't cause this cold snap and that's not what is keeping it so cold at the coast. That was caused by the arctic high that pushed through the area.

Thank goodness a warm up is on the way! Hopefully none of the vegetation will suffer long term ill effects from the cold. I know we were so warm up here prior to this that my Bradford Pears were starting to bud out. I hope the long hard freeze hasn't damaged those buds.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Coastal NC is not the coldest part of the state. I live in the mountains and it's colder here than it is there. Also, the entire east coast is suffering through record cold temps, all the way down to FL. While snow that is on the ground can keep temps down, the actual snow event didn't cause this cold snap and that's not what is keeping it so cold at the coast. That was caused by the arctic high that pushed through the area.

Thank goodness a warm up is on the way! Hopefully none of the vegetation will suffer long term ill effects from the cold. I know we were so warm up here prior to this that my Bradford Pears were starting to bud out. I hope the long hard freeze hasn't damaged those buds.
You are correct but parts of the inland coastal areas were colder than locations even in the mountains... obviously the mountains are colder. As for your bradford pears it doesnt really matter if the buds were hurt as its too early for them. They will come back! Obviously the snow didnt cause the cold snap, you are all misunderstanding me. I just said the snow resulted in colder temps than what would have been.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Yes, of course, we should all "cancel" any further snowfall in North Carolina ......

Now why didn't we all think of this before ????
??? . You had a bad day?

Old 01-06-2018, 09:11 AM

Heres what the legendary Gary Hollar had to say... you could see the results of the 1989 blast on his page!

Gary's Nursery

Old 01-06-2018, 11:49 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,447,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Uhhmmm, you havent heard of radiational cooling? Oh dear... what caused the cold temps was an area of cold high pressure moving south from canada... high pressure is cold as it brings dry air and allows air to escape the atmosphere in a simplistic way of explaining... what does the snow have to do with this? Why is eastern nc the coldest part of the state right now?

Easy! Lets explain radiational cooling... on clear nights with little wind and high pressure warm air rises and escapes the atmosphere... now often times with snowcover the coldest temps on record are achieved... basically if there was no snowpack temps last night in eastern nc would have likely been 10-15 degrees warmer than they are... snow emits longwave radiation during the night... relfects sun during the day... cooler temps than othwerwise would be..

So next time do some research before you post... its partially my fault for assuming you guys understood what i meant.
I understood exactly what you said:

"Eastern NC recently faced a large snowstorm. As a result of this temps have plummeted to record cold values."

Now if you meant something different, then thats on you you. Say what you mean, mean what you say.

There's no way the relatively small amount snow on the ground in eastern NC (and a lot of it has melted) is causing the temperatures to be 10 to 15 degrees colder now than they would be otherwise. Plus, eastern NC isn't the coldest part of the state. In fact, its 20 degrees in Boone and 35 in Wilmington right now.

So next time, do some research before you post.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I understood exactly what you said:

"Eastern NC recently faced a large snowstorm. As a result of this temps have plummeted to record cold values."

Now if you meant something different, then thats on you you. Say what you mean, mean what you say.

There's no way the relatively small amount snow on the ground in eastern NC (and a lot of it has melted) is causing the temperatures to be 10 to 15 degrees colder now than they would be otherwise. Plus, eastern NC isn't the coldest part of the state. In fact, its 20 degrees in Boone and 35 in Wilmington right now.

So next time, do some research before you post.
Once more click the link i shared with you please before you argue. There is an arctic air mass over us now, combined with the snowpack temps are lower . Greenville hit 0 degrees this mornin... record breaking... without the snowpack there is no way on earth they would have gotten that low given the current airmass.

Snow radiates heat very quickly during the night...

Dear god do you not listen to the weatherman when he explains it every single year when we have a snowpack how areas with snow end up colder ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or