U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:01 PM

83 posts, read 332,938 times

Advertisements

Wow...that is not good news and basically confirms my suspicions all along. The area is/was growing so fast contractors and repairmen/women to be politically correct are/have taken advantage. If you must move to the area first of all my condolences...second get your home inspected and keep detailed records. If you have a problem with your builder...stay after them. Calls...emails...you name it. I had to do this with my builder during the warranty period.

Oh man...same old story on a microscale...you deregulate...you have to clean up a mess later. If a hurricane doesn't get Waterford the slipping of the foundations will and most likely get many other poorly built homes throughout the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,780 times
Default Brunswick Forest

[quote=MaureenP;1960825]Hi, Maureen, just got back to nj from visiting brunswick forest. just started doing some rresearch re: a possible relocation, and loved our tour of bruns forest. What i'm wondering is :is it as good a life/area as it sounds" If u r there yet, would love to hear your status report. thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 12,748 times
Default Question about the bluffs on Cape Fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCretire View Post
If you like trees and aren't a golfer, you should check out the Bluffs on the Cape Fear. They're a brand new place, and unlike Magnolia, Waterford and Brunswick Forest, they aren't crammed up against that new Super Walmart!! And no, I don't work there. Jim

When I look at satalite pictures of the bluffs, it looks like they are built next to a power plant? Can anyone confirm?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:04 AM

57 posts, read 246,069 times
In reply to the Bluffs: It looks like they are building next door to the DAK Americas plant on Daniels road-This used to be a Dupont plant.
There is a steam plant next to Sutton Lake located off Rt 421.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,369 times
Cool yankees moving in

james c batchelor here,from brunswick county,bsl..if you move to brunswick county,lots of things builders will not tell you,make sure the floor is treated,all of it,treated studs 2x4's 2x12's etc.i might just have the only one,but i don't worry about termites,they love houses built low to the ground,,don't forget to put lots of 3 inch serews in the 4x8 osb,,it holds in a bad storm,nail guns come out easy,,wire thin..i know i have lived here for many years,i built my house myself,wired it,plumed it,myself,got a 1400 square foot house, i built it for 25.000 dollars,, 8 thousand of that was for 2 guyes that helped me,,i have 5 large lots at sunset harbor 90x 170 plus each, near the ocean for 100.000. dollars if you but them all,and if my wife goes along,oh let me also say,if you wire a house ,like i did,your light bill will be cheap,,i can show you mine,for the 10 years..call 910 845 3016 for more info,,

Old 06-13-2008, 02:09 PM

36 posts, read 121,685 times
KVELA
Have you considered the north side of Wilmington? Communities in Hampstead and Surf City have great public schools and the price range may be more family oriented. If you would like further info I would be glad to post more or you can email me.Thank your husband for me for serving our great USA!
Best Wishes on your move!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 AM

57 posts, read 246,069 times
Default Some local pollution sources

All Polluters in Brunswick County, North Carolina | PlanetHazard
Many chemical plants in the area.
But we have Walmart, Harriss Teeter, Smithfields BBQ.
There are 2 bridges into Wilmington, if there is any problem the traffic backs up to Leland from the bridge at rush hour.
Slow economy stalled the developments which has had a positive impact on reducing construction traffic.
See this for climate info; http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/climate/ncclimate.html

Last edited by qaz123; 02-23-2009 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: more

Old 03-21-2009, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,361 times
In short terms, move to Wilmington. I live next to Waterford, in another gated community. The rules are insane and the prices aren't worth it. The culture shock won't be as bad in Wilmington either.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2009, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 9,446 times
Smile Considering Leland..

Leland is a small community so most of your shopping, with the exception of Walmart will put you in Wilmington or perhaps Southport/Oak Island area. If you are wanting to be close to the beaches, Leland would probably not be your first pick. Home prices are reasonable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranM View Post
Can anyone give us info on the town of Leland, we are considering relocating next year...our friends live in Wilmington but we have seen how the traffic has increased there and was looking to be outside of that but near enough to have various stores. Thanks for any info.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:27 AM

27 posts, read 81,797 times
nkc1972 you hit the one negative i had also found while spending a week looking at houses in leland. to go walk the beach or spend a couple hours there its kinnda a effort to get there from leland. thought there was great communities ,my preteen daughter loved seabrooke community and theres not alot to look at there but the plans they have are very impressive if your looking for a family area. we drove to oak island, wrightsville beach ,carolina beach from the leland area and in feb. with fairly light traffic it was just a little to far for us. the communities ,prices of houses,and ten minutes from downtown make it very hard for us to say no to this area. we found everyone we met walking the developments very nice, helpful with thoughts we had on relocation and the folks who do move there i think wil be very happy community wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina