U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 17,617 times

Advertisements

Hi, My name is Denis. My wife and I and her married children are thinking of moving from East Hampton, NY to the Oriental, NC area. Can anyone give me a heads up on the area. We've never been there but from what we can see from the local web sites it is very much like our end of the world but without the winters and inflated prices. Since our property values have exploded in the last few years, we feel it is time to take advantage of it and go to were things are still affordable. Our main concern is employment. What is the job market like in the Oriental/New Bern/Havelock area? We would also be interested in the local schools. Our granddaughter would be coming with us and will be starting school in a few years. Thanks for any info you can supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2006, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,792 times
Default Me Too!

Greetings,

Have you had any sucess in finding employment in the Oriental area? I'm in the same situation. My wife and I would like to live at a slower pace and we enjoy sailing. This makes Oriental perfect. But can we get jobs and sustain ourselves? That's the question. There has been such an explosion in real-estate speculation that one can hardly afford to buy anything unless you come already wealthy.

Let me know how you made out.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 17,617 times
My wife and I went to check out Oriental back in February and we where very disappointed. We flew into Raliegh and drove to the coast from there. It was 125 miles of billboards, Baptist Churches and trailer trash. I felt like I was driving through a third world country. When we got to Oriental, it didn't look anything like the website. Dirty, broken down buildings. Narrow unattractive streets. It was scary. We shortened our trip and came home a day early. The few blocks around the docks were ok, but I didn't see 2700 sailboats as they advertised. Maybe it's better in the Spring or Summer but to us it was a big flop. Also, from what we saw in the local papers and stores, the prices are the same as on Long Island were we live but the salaries are half if not a third. I would really research it more if I were you. Good Luck!!!

Denis

Old 10-24-2007, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 25,343 times
Default Move To Oriental

If you are looking to move to oriental NC here are a few things you should know.
First, there are no jobs unless you can live on 6.00 an hour. You will need a good retirement to live there or any where in Pamlico county.
The boating is some of the best in the country though alot of open water.
Second , there are very few places to shop unless you like to drive to another county. sales tax is 7% property tax is .58 per 100.00 of assed value
There are alot of very poor people that live in NC,but there are alot of very fine homes to ( retired with money )
The locals do not like outsiders even though they bring in the only money so there is another thing to think about. Liveing here is a love it or hate type of thing.
Outsider, that built a house and lived here for 2 years

Old 10-24-2007, 03:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 5,426,001 times
Phill is correct. It is a love it or hate type environment. Pamlico County is not for everyone.
Eastern NC use to have two industries-Farming and Fishing, that was it! It's in a state of flux now, but that's why real estate prices have been so low and opportunities so high. The infra-structure is being built to support growth-But that's long range stuff.
Bill

Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 PM

5,451 posts, read 10,107,593 times
Those moving to Oriental and other Eastern coastal Carolina communities might consider teaching, the medical profession, banking, construction trades or creating their own small business based on town needs. Tourism and boating are big here.

Other posters are correct in that there are not that many ready-made jobs here, but those who are creative and open to new directions and re-inventing themselves manage to support themselves.

We've found it well worth our efforts to create jobs for ourselves. It's kind of special here. But not for everyone.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:30 PM

917 posts, read 2,113,831 times
Default I actually like Oriental

We came here 5 years ago when dh retired. We had been in Rocky Mount NC for the previous 16 years.Originally from Cape Cod.Rocky Mount was a culture shock nightmare! We have 2 teen girls still at home and 5 older kids who are on their own. We lost most of our company retierment in the 9/11 stock crash,and with 7 kids I had not worked outside the home.We took what we had and bought a 30ft.sailboat.That left only social security for income so since dh was a mechanical engineer he started a business fixing and building things for people.I found a job(yes...$7.00 an hour)and started a pet sitting business as well. The girls go to Pamlico County High School where the older one has a gpa of 4.56.The younger one is not as studious but is doing fine. We live about 10 miles out of town and have a family of Bald Eagles in the back yard,as well as herons, black bears,rabbits,and bob cats.
There is an active theater group in town and a musical society.We have a health food store and a regular grocery where the cashier knows my name.Lots of artists and yes a fair number of eccentrics too, but that makes life interesting. We certainly dont have the income we used to have but I have to say I'm pretty happy here.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:56 PM

12 posts, read 38,095 times
We are also thinking of locating in Oriental. We have teenage boys and concerned with Pamilco schools. NC report card is not impressive nor is the school per drive by. Is it possible to pay a fee that would allow a student to attend another public school say Havelock or New Bern? I looked at Epipheny but it seemed too small, no wrestling which my boys like. How is the area for teens in general, do they get together frequently or are they bored? Also, my husband & I just turned 50, are there many in our age group? We plan to get a boat to help us meet others, is the area friendly. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:35 PM

917 posts, read 2,113,831 times
Default We are "older"parents too

The school is actually very good. Lots of high achieving kids and very good sports, art, drama and music programs as well.We have been pleased with it and we are the parents of 7! These two girls are our youngest(15 and 17) We are in our 50's and 60's also as are most of the people in Oriental. We have a sail boat. That really is the big thing down here. It kind of scares me but dh loves it. Yes most of the people are friendly and also most of the people are northern transplants.
I know some of the towns on the way to Oriental are run down looking but dont let it scare you...there's alot more here then meets the eye.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM

12 posts, read 38,095 times
Thanks for the info Ann. Do your girls have many local friends? I was there last week and didn' se many teens. My boys are 15 and 16 entering 10th and 11th grades.
CJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina