U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:22 PM

261 posts, read 1,102,853 times

Advertisements

Jennifer,

I carefully read your post. Wilmington may not be a good fit for you at all. First off, you will not find anything to buy that fits your parameters. The closer to the water, the more expensive homes/condos/townhomes etc. are. No way you will find what you want for the low $100's and I doubt you could find a rental that would meet your requirements either for $800/month.

Not only are real estate prices too high for your budget(in areas you would find acceptable), homeowners insurance is extremely expensive on top of that. Wilmington is a very expensive place to live where you want to live, on a server's income, unless you have some supplemental income to boost it a bit.

This link is a good cost of living calculator.
Cost of Living - Cost of Living Calculator from CNNMoney

This is the link to the public schools website.
New Hanover County Schools - Home Page
on the right side of the link, click on Schools, then NCSchoolReportCards, then High Student Performance.

This link will give you fast facts about New Hanover County. Demographic numbers are out of date though.
Fast Facts About New Hanover County (http://www.nhcgov.com/AgnAndDpt/CMGR/Pages/FastFactsAboutNewHanoverCounty.aspx - broken link)

Good statistics provided on the link below with update demographics:
Wilmington, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Less than 70% of the population categorize themselves as white. The schools and restaurant clientele will mirror the population.

Also, as much as I love New Hanover County, you better consider the higher than normal crime rate too before you move here. And don't be too quick to blame the crime stats on the minority population. Much of the crime is connected to drug use and you better believe the white folks are in on that too.

Thankfully, Wilmington is very diverse. If you are looking for White Bread, USA, this isn't the place for you.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:04 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,114,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNCGirl View Post
Jennifer,

I carefully read your post. Wilmington may not be a good fit for you at all. First off, you will not find anything to buy that fits your parameters. The closer to the water, the more expensive homes/condos/townhomes etc. are. No way you will find what you want for the low $100's and I doubt you could find a rental that would meet your requirements either for $800/month.
........................................Less than 70% of the population categorize themselves as white. The schools and restaurant clientele will mirror the population.

Also, as much as I love New Hanover County, you better consider the higher than normal crime rate too before you move here. And don't be too quick to blame the crime stats on the minority population. Much of the crime is connected to drug use and you better believe the white folks are in on that too.

Thankfully, Wilmington is very diverse. If you are looking for White Bread, USA, this isn't the place for you.
Agreed - wholeheartedly.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,849 times
I too am looking for a mostly white neighbor hood in the wilmington area. I am looking in the 250 range and would think about a condo complex if they have garages. mostly I want safety and quiet. I just want to be around people like myself and if that is wrong, well so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina