U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 07:53 AM

54 posts, read 38,803 times

Advertisements

This thread started as questions about Brunswick Forest, flooding and HOA fees. The conversation should be in the direction of population outgrowing amenities - clubs not able to get meeting rooms, classes too crowded, small gym, the promised beach club, access to the kayak launch ramp & River Club, broken pump closing the pool at Shelmore.

Gen-X is much broader than BF, and is being taken care of. @morris7, why do you care anyway if you’ve decided against moving to the state at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 01:29 PM

5 posts, read 3,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade51 View Post
This thread started as questions about Brunswick Forest, flooding and HOA fees. The conversation should be in the direction of population outgrowing amenities - clubs not able to get meeting rooms, classes too crowded, small gym, the promised beach club, access to the kayak launch ramp & River Club, broken pump closing the pool at Shelmore.

Let my try to get this thread back on topic with my first post on this forum. We recently visited BF mid week (not part of a weekend tour group) and stayed at one of their guest cottages for 3 nights (not a bad deal for ~$250).

BF "Mother ship" HOA is $325/qtr (about 108 mo.), HOA dues for the different neighborhoods varied, we didn't get them all, but the several were about $100 or $100/mo. There was one (perhaps more) that was about $138/mo. It was the small Evangeline Neighborhood. So figure on $2500 to $3000 a year depending on the neighborhood. (The Neighborhood HOAs seemed high to me given it wasn't clear what you getting besides full lawn care service).

We visited the main clubhouse a few times and it never seemed crowded (fitness center or pools). My better half was able to get in some sort of early morning Yoga/exercise class. I can not speak to the availability of meeting rooms or how that all that works if someone wants to start a new "club" of some sort. There is a smaller clubhouse at the other end of BF from the main entrance. We just stopped by that one once and very briefly, and it wasn't crowded at all. The only thing I noticed is that pickle ball courts were always seemed to be totally occupied and nobody was playing tennis).

I asked our BF rep and our buyer agent about flooding and they said it wasn't a problem. (I didn't get that in writing). I get a quick quote from my local insurance agent and homeowners insurance on a specific home and it was going to be close two $2,000 (cost driven by wind and hail risks, not flooding). This matches the ballpark number I received from the BF Sales Rep.

"The promised beach club, access to the kayak launch ramp & River Club, broken pump closing the pool at Shelmore" - I either didn't know about these or ask about them. (Could have forgotten something, the whole 7 day trip to Leland was somewhat of a blur because we went to other communities). What HOA fees and amenities will be like in say 3 or 4 years, I have no idea.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:21 AM

6 posts, read 4,478 times
Default Brunswick Forest Flooding

I see the latest flooding inquiries are dated Nov 2017. Any new updates as of hurricane Florence and the impacts to Brunswick Forest?

Old 09-21-2018, 10:55 AM

334 posts, read 377,494 times
I can’t speak for the entire subdivision but have a relative who recently moved in to a new home there. She evacuated out of the area but came back to only find a shingle missing and a dent in her air conditioner. The worst of it seemed to be waiting for the rain to stop so she could return home.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:05 PM

1,185 posts, read 661,897 times
Does anyone know what neighborhood(s) was flooded in Leland? I live in NC and saw on the news some newer looking homes that were practically up to their eaves in floodwaters. The label on the news was Leland.

Just wanted some correct info for friends who are considering the Wilmington area but will not be visiting for awhile. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:55 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,329,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Does anyone know what neighborhood(s) was flooded in Leland? I live in NC and saw on the news some newer looking homes that were practically up to their eaves in floodwaters. The label on the news was Leland.

Just wanted some correct info for friends who are considering the Wilmington area but will not be visiting for awhile. Thanks.
Is this what you saw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVWHtR8OnSw

This is Town Creek, between Bolivia and Wilmington NC.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:07 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
This is Town Creek, between Bolivia and Wilmington NC.
This the Stoney Creek Plantation neighborhood. Its partially in Belville and partially in Leland.

http://www.wect.com/story/39108017/f...unty-community

Old 09-21-2018, 10:03 PM

1,185 posts, read 661,897 times
Thank you jerseyj and BC1960 - that is exactly the neighborhood I saw on the news.

Just terrible for all those people dealing with flooded homes.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:34 AM

10 posts, read 12,400 times
Brunswick Forest had some damage, but not extensive. Trees were down but not on houses. The water management system and ponds they have did a really good job of managing the rain. A little localized flooding on the street near Cape Fear National Club but no water in any of the homes. Go to Facebook and read the posts from Michael Braddock. Not only a resident but works there. He gave a very detailed description of the events during the hurricane. I will be going down there in two weeks to visit and put a deposit on my lot. I'll be moving there next spring after retirement. I'm not sure where Town Creek is, but yes terrible to have a flooded home. My heart aches for them.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 876 times
spent 2 nights in the cottages at Brunswick Forest 10/7 and 10/8, noticed minimal damage to a few homes, with a shingle or two missing. There were still downed trees in the dog park, but that's the only place in BF we saw evidence of the hurricane. Granted we didn't see every street or home. We were surprised that it wasn't a gated community, and felt the main fitness center and pool was dated..we felt there were many pro's and con's to BF as there were to the other communities we visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or