Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:03 AM

455 posts, read 670,265 times

Advertisements

A cousin and her husband built a new home in BF. Moved in 5/2018 after relocating from NJ.
They had very minimal wind damage from Florence and no flooding. Even after evacuating for over a week with all that inconvenience, they are very pleased with the house and the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,361 times
Default Elevations in Leland

We came back 3 days after the storm. We checked on a few of the communities, BForest, Waterford, MGreen, CPointe, and Stoney Creek. All where good (some have tree damage) except Stoney Creek. The back section of that community backs up to TownCreek and there was flooding in the lower areas. Here is an article that talks about after the storm and elevations in some of the planned communities.
https://activerain.com/blogsview/528...icane-florence

Old 11-15-2018, 11:52 AM

17 posts, read 35,379 times
We are moving to BF next month. I am wondering what is the best internet provider to get (just a quick internet search it seems like Spectrum is the way to go...100mbps with some basic TV is fine).

The issue we have (actually my better half) is the additional requirement for access to MASN to watch the Washington Nationals which we were were told is only available with a Dish or Direct TV. We currently get all this (75mbps internet, 2 STBs, wireless routers) without a satellite dish on Verizon (which has MASN on the TV package we have) for about $130/month.

It looked like ATT was also an option.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsail View Post
.....The issue we have (actually my better half) is the additional requirement for access to MASN to watch the Washington Nationals which we were were told is only available with a Dish or Direct TV. We currently get all this (75mbps internet, 2 STBs, wireless routers) without a satellite dish on Verizon (which has MASN on the TV package we have) for about $130/month.
I was going to suggest streaming the Washington Nationals games to your TV by using something like FIRE TV. However, MASN doesn't allow that. Here's a Wash Post article about it, and how some neighbors shared a subscription to MLB.TV and set up their own VPN network. There are also some under-thetable workarounds discusssed on Reddit. This is all out of my technical depth, so I'll refer you to the article, here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3f4d17425d74

Other than that, I suggest calling some of the sports bars in Brunswick County or Wilmington to see if they subscribe to either baseball package.

FWIW, we use Spectrum for Internet at $60/month, and use DirecTV for television, and a VOIP service for telephone. It costs more than a single package would, but that's a tradeoff of moving out of a major metro area.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-16-2018 at 09:52 PM..

Old 11-17-2018, 06:06 AM

17 posts, read 35,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I was going to suggest streaming the Washington Nationals games to your TV by using something like FIRE TV. However, MASN doesn't allow that. Here's a Wash Post article about it, and how some neighbors shared a subscription to MLB.TV and set up their own VPN network. There are also some under-thetable workarounds discusssed on Reddit. This is all out of my technical depth, so I'll refer you to the article, here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3f4d17425d74

Other than that, I suggest calling some of the sports bars in Brunswick County or Wilmington to see if they subscribe to either baseball package.

FWIW, we use Spectrum for Internet at $60/month, and use DirectTV for television, and a VOIP service for telephone. It costs more than a single package would, but that's a tradeoff of moving out of a major metro area.

Thanks goldenage1. The WP article was interesting. I think I saw the Reddit threads on the "workarounds" and I can deal with those but DW doesn't understand them and doesn't want to go that route. I'm trying to convince DW that we should at least go with the VPN route and a MLB subscription based some remote part of the universe.

DW said DirectTV told her on the phone that the Orioles and Nationals were available via MASN and MASN2 with some extra sports package (MLB Extra?). But this doesn't seem to match what I have read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina