U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 06:09 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio2018 View Post
The more information and opinions I get related to Coastal NC and specifically Brunswick County, the more confused I become... How could it be possible that Brunswick County is one of the fastest growing counties in the state and a favorite with retirees and yet: 1) cost of utilities (electricity, propane gas, water & sewage) seems to very, very high. 2) Home owners insurance very expensive, wind and hail coverage very expensive, flood insurance hugely expensive, HOAs very expensive. Geez..., is there anything affordable down there besides the cost of the RE itself?
I mean...as a soon to be "retiree", I want to get the heck out of Boston, MA because is expensive and winters are cold, but....man, maybe the "grass is not greener" in the South.
Electricity isn't much more than most other places. Propane is the same as most other places. Insurance is the same. Property taxes are MUCH lower than most places, especially the northeast. I don't know about HOAs, don't have one, never will. Utilities are a very small percentage of most people's budget.

I'm sure there are cheaper places, best of luck to you with those.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:09 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
The more information and opinions I get related to Coastal NC and specifically Brunswick County, the more confused I become... How could it be possible that Brunswick County is one of the fastest growing counties in the state and a favorite with retirees and yet: 1) cost of utilities (electricity, propane gas, water & sewage) seems to very, very high. 2) Home owners insurance very expensive, wind and hail coverage very expensive, flood insurance hugely expensive, HOAs very expensive. Geez..., is there anything affordable down there besides the cost of the RE itself?
I mean...as a soon to be "retiree", I want to get the heck out of Boston, MA because is expensive and winters are cold, but....man, maybe the "grass is not greener" in the South.
My speculation: Brunswick County is growing with rich retirees from the north. They are taking their real estate profits from the appreciation from their homes in places like Boston and New Jersey and buying less expensive places in North Carolina. Most of them find the move is an improvement in their quality of life.

People who buy in Brunswick County will have to be able to afford the utilities, home owners insurance and HOA's. Please take a hard look at what you could sell your current home for, and what you could afford in monthly expenses. You could also look at places outside of the HOA's and place further away from the coast. However, the requirement for hurricane insurance extends to everywhere east of I-95.

If you need to look at cheaper places to live, look at Horry County, South Carolina. You might also buy one of the books on "Where to Retire" that give breakdowns of cost of living and amenities.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:34 PM

470 posts, read 487,477 times
Quote:
I donít know what your expenses currently are where you live. We moved from Long Island 3 years ago and my expenses are as follows:
Utilities 1/2 of previous
Auto insurance 40% of previous
Home insurance 1/2 of previous
Flood insurance - none at all
Real estate taxes- 1/6 of previously

We can live on our retirement savings here!
We could have lived on our retirement on Long Island but we would have had lived like hermits.
We would have had no disposable income!

Old 02-02-2018, 10:49 AM

295 posts, read 237,382 times
There are a lot of nice "beachy" areas in SC too, as long as you stay away from Myrtle Beach itself (at least after dark.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:51 AM

295 posts, read 237,382 times
One addition plus - serious hurricanes have been few and far between, at least to date.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
One addition plus - serious hurricanes have been few and far between, at least to date.
Way to jinx it!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:54 AM

562 posts, read 931,447 times
Amen! coming from New Jersey - this will be so much cheaper for us! Going from $16,000 a year property taxes to under $3,000 !!!

Old 02-07-2018, 09:18 AM

19 posts, read 23,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Electricity isn't much more than most other places. Propane is the same as most other places. Insurance is the same. Property taxes are MUCH lower than most places, especially the northeast. I don't know about HOAs, don't have one, never will. Utilities are a very small percentage of most people's budget.

I'm sure there are cheaper places, best of luck to you with those.
Can we agree to disagree? Let me see, We live in a small house (1,500 SF) North of Boston. Two adults, kid is grown and independent. Our utilities on average are: $40/month for natural gas (cooking and hot water). it goes up to about...$280 during 3 or 4 months of harsh Winter months. Electric bill around $60/ month. It goes to about $90 if we have the AC running during some hot days in the summer (not too many really), this is New England after all. Our home owners insurance with $1000 deductible is $850. Property taxes $5K a year. So,... you must agree with me that utilities and insurance are defintely more expensive in Brunswick County.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Can we agree to disagree? Let me see, We live in a small house (1,500 SF) North of Boston. Two adults, kid is grown and independent. Our utilities on average are: $40/month for natural gas (cooking and hot water). it goes up to about...$280 during 3 or 4 months of harsh Winter months. Electric bill around $60/ month. It goes to about $90 if we have the AC running during some hot days in the summer (not too many really), this is New England after all. Our home owners insurance with $1000 deductible is $850. Property taxes $5K a year. So,... you must agree with me that utilities and insurance are defintely more expensive in Brunswick County.
Well, first of all, when I said "most other places", I meant most other comparable places, as in NC, SC, etc.

Your utility numbers don't sound much different from here, just in reverse, for a newer, similar size house. I would guess insurance is a little more, since we are on the coast in an area that gets hit by hurricanes. Taxes would be much lower here...a $300K house would about $1,500 to $1,750 a year. The net is much lower here.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:09 PM

19 posts, read 23,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Well, first of all, when I said "most other places", I meant most other comparable places, as in NC, SC, etc.

Your utility numbers don't sound much different from here, just in reverse, for a newer, similar size house. I would guess insurance is a little more, since we are on the coast in an area that gets hit by hurricanes. Taxes would be much lower here...a $300K house would about $1,500 to $1,750 a year. The net is much lower here.
BC, thank you again for your feedback. Good to know that overall there is not a huge difference when it comes to monthly expenses in utilities and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or