U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 03:28 PM

14 posts, read 22,539 times

Advertisements

Another Northeast couple looking at the area. I've been there a couple of times (golfed at Cape Fear twice) but my wife hasn't been. Will try to get there sometime in the spring. Moving from Long Island and I seem to be most attracted to BF. A few questions.
1) How is the health care? My wife does have some health history, so this is very important.
2) How are the HOA fees? Looking at a 3BR ranch style home---$325K range.
3) Are the HOA rules intrusive/exceedingly restrictive? I'm good with most things, but I know in some places they are overrun by people who can be a little too zealous

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 03:33 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
New Hanover, in Wilmington, is a great hospital and not far from Brunswick Forest. World class facilities at Duke and UNC are 2 hours away.

This thread has some good information on HOA costs on the last couple of pages:

compare compass pointe, brunswick forest, porters neck plantation, landfall and st james plantation

Last edited by BC1960; 02-08-2018 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 07:40 AM

19 posts, read 23,524 times
Speaking of HOAs and such. Can anyone expand on how restrictive the HOA rules in Brunwwick County are? For example I read somewhere that some HOA rules do not even allow you to have your own small vegetable garden, is that even possible? Anyone living under HOA, please feel free to share your experiences.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio2018 View Post
Speaking of HOAs and such. Can anyone expand on how restrictive the HOA rules in Brunwwick County are? For example I read somewhere that some HOA rules do not even allow you to have your own small vegetable garden, is that even possible? Anyone living under HOA, please feel free to share your experiences.
I assume you realize there are no "Brunswick County" HOAs. Every HOA, both in Brunswick County and out, is a unique, individual entity with its own rules and restrictions.

Given that virtually every development has an HOA, it might be more productive to list the ones you are interested in and see if anyone can offer any information on those specific developments. Or you can Google a specific development and find its HOA rules online. For example, here is St. James:

https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/stjamespoa...__FINAL_5-.pdf

Old 02-19-2018, 03:01 PM

19 posts, read 23,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I assume you realize there are no "Brunswick County" HOAs. Every HOA, both in Brunswick County and out, is a unique, individual entity with its own rules and restrictions.

Given that virtually every development has an HOA, it might be more productive to list the ones you are interested in and see if anyone can offer any information on those specific developments. Or you can Google a specific development and find its HOA rules online. For example, here is St. James:

https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/stjamespoa...__FINAL_5-.pdf

BC, Thank you for the POA link for St James Plantation. I read every single page of the agreement and I could not find a single reference about "gardening rules" within the plantation. In any case, as you said each plantation have their own rules and I have to contact some RE broker when the time comes for us to make the move South. Once thing I can say is that, if we cannot have our garden and grow our own vegetables and a variety of flowers within the limits of our property, then retiring on one of those plantations is not going to work out for us. My wife and I simply LOVE gardening and growing our own delicious veggies. Its very relaxing!!

Old 02-19-2018, 03:55 PM

152 posts, read 183,269 times
Quote:
BC, Thank you for the POA link for St James Plantation. I read every single page of the agreement and I could not find a single reference about "gardening rules" within the plantation. In any case, as you said each plantation have their own rules and I have to contact some RE broker when the time comes for us to make the move South. Once thing I can say is that, if we cannot have our garden and grow our own vegetables and a variety of flowers within the limits of our property, then retiring on one of those plantations is not going to work out for us. My wife and I simply LOVE gardening and growing our own delicious veggies. Its very relaxing!!

A lot of "plantations" have gardening plots, that may be available to you. Growing "veggies" is a challenge in coastal Brunswick County. Most gardeners stop their gardens around the first July and return for the fall growing season. We have two growing seasons; February to June and late August to December. I have seen several individuals over the years from the northeast (New Jersey) give up gardening due to the heat; pests and poor soil. They can't grow their Jersey tomatoes and the plants just burn up. Most people grow tomatoes (cherry) in large pots at their homes, with some device to deter the deer on their decks. Most of the plot users in my plantation are Master Gardeners and they use the two season method. I thought I was a good gardener, until I tried it in Brunswick County. The local farmer markets usually close around July 1st, but Holden Brothers Farms does a nice job with seasonal veggies. Our plantation requires you to do organic gardening, but they do provide water and hoses at the garden.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, your realtor should be able to guide you to the developments that allow gardens, or have community gardens. Mr. Purple's point is an important one too...the summers here are so hot that growing veggies through the summer is virtually impossible, especially everyone's favorite, tomatoes. The only way to grow them is to select those with very short maturing times and planting as early as possible, and then trying again by planting in late August. Even then it is difficult. And the amount of water you have to put on them really does a number to your water bill.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
I have seen several individuals over the years from the northeast (New Jersey) give up gardening due to the heat; pests and poor soil. They can't grow their Jersey tomatoes and the plants just burn up. Most people grow tomatoes (cherry) in large pots at their homes, with some device to deter the deer on their decks.
HOA's might care about gardens in your front yard, but they rarely regulate anything in your back yard.

I have also given up on tomatoes. They start getting blossom end rot about July. My peppers never did do well.

One thing that does very well is okra which loves the heat. Green onions and lettuce do well in the early season.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:41 AM

152 posts, read 183,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
HOA's might care about gardens in your front yard, but they rarely regulate anything in your back yard..

Depends on where you live. Some HOA's have restrictions on back yards if you live on a golf course. I would suggest the OP check the details carefully, if he wants to live in a "plantation" in Brunswick County.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:01 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
Depends on where you live. Some HOA's have restrictions on back yards if you live on a golf course. I would suggest the OP check the details carefully, if he wants to live in a "plantation" in Brunswick County.
Good point. The would-be gardeners should add that to their requirement list. I'd suggest a back yard facing south, with minimal trees. They should plan on building a raised bed and bringing in top-soil.

An alternative would be to look at homes outside of an HOA. I had seen a listing of one in mid-town Wilmington which had a well-established organic garden. Another possibility is further away from the coast, such as Wallace, Currie or Duplin County. The soil is better and those areas have commercial farms growing blueberries and grapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or