Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,616,239 times

Advertisements

We're considering purchasing a condo in Minnesott Beach, near the ferry to Cherry Branch. I'm not familiar with the Minnesott area...I've heard of Oriental nearby, and have been to New Bern (we used to live in Greenville NC), but that's about it. lol

We would use this condo as a getaway from our primary home in Winston-Salem. I figure it could be a decent jumping-off point for the Atlantic Beach area. But I know there isn't much (or anything?) in the immediate area of the condo.

The property is quite a bit less expensive than anything comparable close to the beach, other than perhaps something in Morehead City. What's nice about the Minnesott Beach condo is that we'll have a decent view of the Neuse River.

Would I be crazy to buy a condo where I would have to take a ferry and then drive to the beach from there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,309,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
We're considering purchasing a condo in Minnesott Beach, near the ferry to Cherry Branch. I'm not familiar with the Minnesott area...I've heard of Oriental nearby, and have been to New Bern (we used to live in Greenville NC), but that's about it. lol

We would use this condo as a getaway from our primary home in Winston-Salem. I figure it could be a decent jumping-off point for the Atlantic Beach area. But I know there isn't much (or anything?) in the immediate area of the condo.

The property is quite a bit less expensive than anything comparable close to the beach, other than perhaps something in Morehead City. What's nice about the Minnesott Beach condo is that we'll have a decent view of the Neuse River.

Would I be crazy to buy a condo where I would have to take a ferry and then drive to the beach from there?
I think only you can answer that question. Its an hour to Atlantic Beach from there. I think I'd find that to be a major PITA, especially after driving 4 hours from W-S. Wouldn't finding parking at the beach be a real challenge?

Will you get any enjoyment from hanging out at the condo, looking at the river? The only way I'd consider it is if the answer to that question is yes. If you're willing to spend most of your time at the condo, and occasionally go to the beach, rather than the other way around, then it might be worthwhile.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. We think we'd spend more time at the condo. I enjoy a water view and don't spend a ton of time hanging out at the beach. We'll probably make a visit next weekend and try to get a feel for the area, and to see if I can picture myself at the condo with occasional trips to the beach. I appreciate your input!

Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 AM

Sure, happy to help you think through it. The only other thought I'd add is that it sure seems like there is nothing to do (restaurants, stores, bars, etc.) at Minnesott Beach. Driving to Oriental, Havelock or Morehead every time you want to go out might get old real quickly. I think Oriental lost their only grocery store.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:32 AM

Yeah, the lack of anything to do is probably my biggest concern. But we don't anticipate spending extended periods there - mostly long weekends. It would certainly be more of a "get away from it all" type of place, which has its appeal.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:25 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,535,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Sure, happy to help you think through it. The only other thought I'd add is that it sure seems like there is nothing to do (restaurants, stores, bars, etc.) at Minnesott Beach. Driving to Oriental, Havelock or Morehead every time you want to go out might get old real quickly. I think Oriental lost their only grocery store.
Oriental still has a grocery store Piggly Wiggly (Old Walmart Express). There is a full sized Walmart in Grantsboro, a 15 minute drive from Minnesott Beach). New Bern is a 30 minute drive , so it's not a terrible drive if you want to do something fun. The ferry schedule to Havelock/Cherry Branch runs every day every 30 minutes from 5am to midnight.

I have been to Minnesott Beach, there's not much there. Not much of an actual town with storefronts or anything. Having to drive 30 minutes to see a movie is one thing, but there's not even a cafe or restaurant in town to have a quick bite, unless you're a member of the country club.

OP, It's not completely crazy to buy something there. Like you said, it could be your "get away from it all" place. Even though it's along the river, there are a lot of sandy beach shores up and down that area's entire shoreline.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 AM

I may have to factor the cost of a social membership at the country club, just in case I don't want to make a sandwich myself lol. Who knows, I may take up golf some day. Our home in Winston-Salem is in a golf course subdivision, but I've never played there - I've only played a few times and it's been 25+ years since the last time.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Oriental still has a grocery store Piggly Wiggly (Old Walmart Express).
Thanks, I didn't realize PW had backfilled the Walmart space.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:39 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,580,187 times
If you're into water sports such as paddle boarding or kayaking or sailing or power boating, you might enjoy being at M. Beach. It's not a terrible drive into Oriental and there are some cute places there to grab a bite and their playhouse puts on some good offerings. If you're a writer, your condo would be a great place to write your best-selling novel!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 AM

Thank you for the comments. Doesn't look like we'll be buying at Minnesott Beach...the condo we were looking at has been on the market for something like 8 months, but seller accepted an offer just before we put our offer in.

Next up...North Topsail Beach and dealing with erosion. That's another area we're considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina