U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 2,431 times

Advertisements

Hello, I need your opinions. Do you know which courthouse has the best scenery to get married in North Carolina? Rank of any courthouses would be appreciated. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 10:46 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Could you define "scenery"? Do you mean inside the courthouse, or outside?

Also, you posted this on the Coastal NC board, which covers the eastern part of the state. Are you interested in the entire state?

One issue you'll run into is that many of old, historic and beautiful courthouses are no longer used for that purpose. For example, the old Jackson County Courthouse in Sylva is beautiful, and sits on to of a lovely hill overlooking the town, but it is now the library, not the courthouse.

Chatham County has a beautiful courthouse in the middle of a traffic circle in downtown Pittsboro. The old Orange County courthouse in Hillsborough is beautiful too. I *think* both of those are still used for county/court business.

Last edited by BC1960; 02-19-2018 at 11:00 AM..

Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 AM

I am looking for a courthouse in the entire state that shows any pretty outdoor scenic surrounding areas or any beautiful interior architecture. Any input would be appreciated.

I have looked at Jackson County Courthouse. It is our first choice, but we would like to hear any more courthouses besides that one. Also, what do you mean by it's a library now? Does that mean it is off limits for ceremonies? Thank you.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:19 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspepper3 View Post
I am looking for a courthouse in the entire state that shows any pretty outdoor scenic surrounding areas or any beautiful interior architecture. Any input would be appreciated.

I have looked at Jackson County Courthouse. It is our first choice, but we would like to hear any more courthouses besides that one. Also, what do you mean by it's a library now? Does that mean it is off limits for ceremonies? Thank you.
You'd have to contact Jackson County and ask, but since its a library, there is no county official there to preside over the ceremony. Is that what you are looking for, or are you looking to use the building and/or grounds for your wedding and you will bring your own officiant?

Most courthouses are located in the center of downtown, so not many have a lot of outdoor scenery, and many have had their historic interiors modernized over time.

Here are some websites that might help:

https://www.romanticasheville.com/historic-courthouses
https://www.pinterest.com/melody1962...orth-carolina/
https://celebrate.nccourts.org/galle...57667958352385

Old 02-19-2018, 12:01 PM

I'm looking for a courthouse wedding ceremony, along with the presiding judge.

Thank you for these links

Old 02-19-2018, 12:10 PM

1,069 posts, read 981,767 times
We wanted to do this. A lot of the magistrates won’t walk outside and in many counties the person who marries you is either going to be at the jail or (insert county name) Justice Center.

We ended up getting married in South Carolina. Notary Public are allowed to perform marriages there.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,038,167 times
Maybe Pittsboro...

Old 02-19-2018, 02:39 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,022,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The old Orange County courthouse in Hillsborough is beautiful too. I *think* both of those are still used for county/court business.
I agree. Iíve driven by it a few times when I was passing through Hillsborough and thought it was nice. Hillsborough is a nice town in general. Canít go wrong there.

I can also confirm that the old courthouse is still used for business.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:44 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,022,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
We wanted to do this. A lot of the magistrates won’t walk outside and in many counties the person who marries you is either going to be at the jail or (insert county name) Justice Center.

We ended up getting married in South Carolina. Notary Public are allowed to perform marriages there.
You mean you didn’t wanna get married at the pokey? Lame.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:13 PM

1,069 posts, read 981,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
You mean you didnít wanna get married at the pokey? Lame.
My wifeís brother did. Pitt County weddings happen at the PCDC in a little room where you go before the magistrate. The magistrate did come out from behind the bulletproof glass and come into the room with us.

True old fashioned courthouse weddings are largely a thing of the past in NC, I think. I looked at the most rural mountain counties before my wife and I got married and you always ended up at the jail. I was not going to be married at a Justice Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or