U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 AM

4 posts, read 14,259 times

Advertisements

We found a house we love in Wilmington (near 23rd St), but it doesn't have a screened-in porch & because of the narrow lot size it will be hard to build one that isn't cramped.

Are mosquitoes & other bugs a major problem in the city in the summer? Where I now live in NH, we couldn't survive the summer without a screened-in porch. But while househunting, I looked at a lot of places that didn't have one, so maybe it's not an issue?

Appreciate any thoughts/firsthand experience.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 07:14 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,479,927 times
We moved to NC last year from CA and I too was concerned about the insects here--biting insects! We live more inland then where you are talking about but we have a lake not far from us and also a pond next to us. I did not get any mosquitoe bites at all although I did find a couple of ticks walking on me--ugh! Don't know if the ticks are as much of a problem in the city as we are in a forrested, remote part of NC. I'll be honest--we had more of a bug problem in CA then we have had here so far. Maybe because of the drought here, I'm not sure. But for us it was a nice unexpected pleasure not to have to endure hiding from all those pesky insects all summer!!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,351,543 times
cockroaches, I repeat, cockroaches. wilmington is CRAWLING with gigantic flying cockroaches.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,479,927 times
I have heard from many people about those huge cockroaches..didn't know where they were but now I know!! Hope they stay there!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:46 AM

hehe. they try to disguise it. they call them "redbugs", "waterbugs", or "palmetto bugs", but it is in fact the american cockroach. go downtown on a humid summer night and the sidewalks move with them. uhggggggggggggg.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 AM

That's gross. Do they come inside houses or stay outside to drive you crazy?

So mosquitoes & other biting insects aren't much of a problem in Wilmington?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 AM

it is gross. yes, they come in houses. especially downtown. it also depends on the age of the home. older homes tend to have a lot more. my friend lived in an apartment at the corner of 3rd and orange and the place was absolutely infested. she moved out because of it. the worst part about the cockroaches is that they can fly. mosquitoes aren't really much of a problem in wilmington. no more than any other place. if you go to brunswick country or closer to marsh areas, then yes, it is a problem.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM

Thanks much for the info. So, bottom line, maybe a screened in porch isn't a necessity in the city?

Old 03-24-2008, 02:02 PM

nah, it isn't a necessity. I live in that area you are talking about and I don't have one. I have a front porch and that is fine. just remember a few things, mosquitoes breed is sitting water. also remember that if you do have a problem with mosquitoes, you can install a purple martin bird house, or a bat box. both purple martins and bats devour mosquitoes! also remember this. there is an insect down here that looks like a gigantic mosquito. it hovers in the same place and is about 10x the size of a normal mosquito. DO NOT KILL THEM. they are called crane flies and they feed on mosquito larva. people just misidentify them.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 PM

Awesome! Really appreciate the info. Thanks much. I feel much better about buying the house & not having to worry the porch issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina