U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:27 PM

688 posts, read 373,428 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a potential job offer in Wilmington, NC and have a few questions about the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1. If you live in or near Wilmington, would you recommend living there?

2. Culturally, what can I expect from Wilmington? I am talking food, art, music, live performances, and diversity wise.

3. Is the area more Republican or Democratic?

4. Is Wilmington a growth area?

5. Is Wilmington a good area for a millennial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 05:11 PM

21 posts, read 26,765 times
1. I feel like this is subjective. Depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for a quiet country area, then no I wouldn't live in Wilmington. I love Wilmington and there are so many nice areas that I wouldn't live anywhere outside of Wilmington. (Leland is too boring for me, Hampstead too rural.)
2. Wilmington has a great food scene! I've lived there before, now live in raleigh, and honestly miss the food of Wilmington so much compared to the food scene in raleigh. Wilmington def has an art and music scene. There are always art/craft fairs going on downtown. Live music is abundant downtown. I find it pretty diverse there but there's always room for growth in that area.
3. Wilmington is liberal and more democratic than republican I'd say.
4. It is definitely growing. The last time I lived there was 2012. I lived downtown and it would be dead during winter months. I visit very often now and whenever I'm downtown it is hopping during the winter. I can't believe the growth since 2012! I don't know where anyone works for this growth to be happening lol, since the job market isn't great, but yes it is growing a lot.
5. I think the most important thing is to have a good job there. Since it seems you've already lined that up, you will probably enjoy the area. A lot of people leave due to lack of a job market. It's also just relative though.. some people hate it there and some people love it. It's an interesting little town. Have you visited? Definitely spend a few days there to get a better feel.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:36 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
1. I would definitely recommend living in Wilmington as millennial.
2. For a city its size, Wilmington has a nice arts and culture scene. Here are some resources to get more information:

| "Your Alternative Weekly Voice"
Arts In Wilmington - Sharing the Arts In Wilmington, North Carolina / A Project of Arts Friendly
The Arts Council Of Wilmington
Wilmington Art Association | Wilmington, NC
https://www.brooklynartsnc.com/

3. As noted previously, more democratic.
4. Its growing very fast.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:15 PM

688 posts, read 373,428 times
I appreciate the feedback, thank you!

Any other feedback is also welcomed.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:39 PM

Do you have anymore questions? I'd also think good and hard about where in particular you want to live there. My husband and I absolutely LOVED living downtown and being able to walk to everything. Though I've only lived downtown and not in the suburbs there, it's very hard for me to picture living outside of downtown. It's a totally different experience than suburban Wilmington living, in my opinion. If you love the downtown scene at your fingertips, you would love to live right in it. Maybe stay in an airBNB downtown to get a feel for it.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:32 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKtoNC View Post
My husband and I absolutely LOVED living downtown and being able to walk to everything.
I'm just curious, but did you live in a condominium? Or did you have a house in walking distance?

Also, did you feel safe walking around in the evenings?

Old 03-17-2018, 01:05 AM

4 posts, read 4,349 times
Wilmington host at least two film festivals each year. The major one is Cucalorus held in November and then a smaller one is Cape Fear Independent Film Festival.

#3-The city of Wilmington is very democratic, the city council has a 6-1 democratic majority. The County (New Hanover) leans Republican, the county has more registered REP than DEM but the gap is close (about 300-500) The County Commission is 3-2 REP edge, and the School Board is 7-0 GOP Majority. The GOP is for neighborhood schools and the DEMS want to redistrict and bus kids all over the county.

#4-A LOT OF GROWTH!!!!, unfortunately not a lot of job growth, too much building of houses over the last 30 years and not enough road building.

#5-I lived here from 2009 to 2014 (I was 23 to 28 in age) so I am definitely in the Millenial DEMO, honesty I would have to say NO to living here, the job market stinks, wages are too low, housing is too high, (I rented a room from someone to make it here for 5 years). UNCW, the beach, the downtown area are all nice factors. But I am worried that Wilmington is becoming too much like Florida, too over crowded, loss of authentic southern character. The population is getting older here too, it's not Florida yet, but alot of retirees want to move here. Too many Real Estate agents in local government too!!!

Old 03-19-2018, 12:17 PM

96 posts, read 50,236 times
Wilmington has TONS of things to do. They have festivals downtown, the beach and music! The town also has a lot of great food and all kinds of shopping including boutiques, car shopping, surf shops, etc.There is a college there so that is something to keep in mind. I would live there but I wouldn't plan on making it a permanent home just because of the job market. There are not a lot of job opportunities there so if you wanted to change careers you would probably have to relocate.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'm just curious, but did you live in a condominium? Or did you have a house in walking distance?

We lived in 3 different places downtown over the course of our time there. Twice we lived in historic homes that were divided up into apartments, and our 3rd place was a condo/loft right on front street below a bar/club. Yes, we always felt safe in the evenings- never had a problem. As long as you stay below 6th, I'd say you're fine. The houses we lived in were on 3rd street, just a quick walk to front street. It can get a bit rowdy on weekend nights but I think that's anywhere with nightlife. We were hanging on a dock on the riverwalk one night and saw a drunk kid fall off the wood banister into the river, he died. I'm sure that's rare but stuff happens.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:48 PM

379 posts, read 482,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

Buy a boat. Dock it downtown at Port City Marina or Wrightsville Beach at SeaPath. Live like a king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or