U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 629 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Im sure these are always out there on this forum but my wife and I currently live comfortably in Holly Springs but have recently been looking into moving closer to the beach, Wilmington in particular. We have friends that live there in the Ogden area and absolutely love it. We have visited a ton and love the area too and are starting to get serious about moving there. As someone from Raleigh, the biggest concerns is obviously going to first be jobs. In relation to Raleigh, how similar is my salary going to be if I do a similar job in Wilmington? I work in corporate accounting and my wife works in HR. Were also curious about schools for when we do start having kids so any information on those will also be helpful.

I would love to hear from people who have moved from Raleigh to Wilmington and what their experience has been and of coure any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 05:33 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,206,232 times
Wilmington has a lot going for it. A lot of growth and opportunities. Traffic sucks. A lot of transplants are retirees so work is not their priority. I would scan job sites like Indeed for work. It will give you a pretty good idea of the job market.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:26 AM

11,264 posts, read 19,810,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG0617 View Post
In relation to Raleigh, how similar is my salary going to be if I do a similar job in Wilmington? I work in corporate accounting and my wife works in HR.
I have heard there is a "beach discount" because Wilmigton is considered so desirable. It may also depend on how desirable your skills are.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:16 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,448 times
Also be mindful of potentially much higher homeowners insurance due to the increased risk of hurricanes and flooding. Research carefully before closing on a home in the coastal areas.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:42 PM

152 posts, read 142,619 times
The closer you get to the beaches, the more the housing is owned by retirees, childless singles/couples, and as second homes of those with primary residences elsewhere. So, there are not as many kids school-age or younger and not that many kid-centered activities other than, of course, having them spend time on the beach.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,457,082 times
Wilmington has lots of families with children. Every coastal county around Wilmington has growing school enrollment. Wilmington has many, many children's activities such as sports, museums, etc. Lack of other families with children in the area will not be an issue.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:45 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,736,001 times
I can't address the job situation but I completely understand the "pull" to be closer to the beach. We've lived in the Raleigh area for 10 years and really miss living near the beach (we're originally from coastal New England). We bought a home in Southport last August. Right now we are enjoying weekend getaways but plan to move down full time in September.
Every weekend we spend there, it gets harder and harder to return to the Triangle.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:17 AM

11,264 posts, read 19,810,388 times
You might run some cost of living comparisons from Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site. The COL between Raleigh and Wilmington is very similar, although Raleigh's housing is 10% more. The COL between Cary and Wilmington shows Cary much higher, especially in housing ar 69% higher.

Employers may take that into account in salary negotiations, as well as considering the desirability of the location and the number of candidates applying from out-of-state. Good luck with the job search.

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2018 at 01:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or