U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 AM

13 posts, read 49,428 times

Advertisements

I live in Hampstead with my wife and kids, but right now I'm working in an open heart ICU at Duke half the week because the salaries seem so low at New Hanover Regional. I've also heard a lot of bad things from a management perspective there. We'd love to remain in Hampstead-my wife loves it and so do the kids, but I'm having to consider other options. Any ideas? I need another pair of eyes because it seems that New Hanover Health has a monopoly on the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM

452 posts, read 2,128,286 times
I hope I never have to set foot in NHRMC again.

I had a HORRIBLE experience with the hospital staff and nurses, and anesthesiologist. Just awful. I'd go into detail but I honestly don't want to dredge it all up again, I seriously think I still suffer from post traumatic stress.

Also, I don't know what's going on there, but while they were treating me during a scheduled procedure, the nurses were griping about my doctor having "an attitude" toward them. Everytime my doctor would leave the room they would stand over me and gossip and complain about the doctor being in a bad mood with them. I honestly think the doctor had legimitate problems with the nursing staff being so crappy and was letting them know it, good for her. Because I as the patient had NO problems with the doctor- the doctor was nice to me but I did notice that she was giving an attitude to the whiny nurses. I honestly don't know what the conflict was but it seemed that the nurses annoyed my doctor because they weren't very good and it got on her nerves having to work with them. But a patient should never have to witness bickerings amongst the staff. (And again, my doctor wasn't doing it but the nurses were terrible).

There seems to be some issues at this hospital, at least in THAT department, which I'll decline to specify.

I doubt you'll get the salary you make at Duke anywhere around here but there are a few other hospitals around..I don't know what the drive would be like from Hampstead but have you tried Pender, or Brunswick? (Salaries would probably be lower at Brunswick I'd guess....not sure....it's not Wilmington Health though, it's Novant....)

Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 PM

13 posts, read 49,428 times
I've heard from several people that the nursing staff there gets slammed, minimal respect and has been subject to layoffs, the latter being a ridiculous notion in this age.

In any event, it sounds like there was definitely a lack of professionalism in talking about the docs like that in front of the patient (you), and as an RN who's proud of his profession (Open Heart ICU), I'm sorry you were treated poorly there.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,287 times
I work at New Hanover as a nurse.There are alot of great nurses as well as other employees here ,theres a lot of politics ,which there is most places.,upper management could use an over haul ,but other than that, its a good place to work and the CVICU is great ,Doctors as well as Nurses

Old 09-17-2010, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 10,487 times
What are the average nursing salaries in the Wilmington, NC area? I have been a registered nurse for twenty years. I would love to live near the coast but I need to make sure I can afford it.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:38 PM

14 posts, read 48,193 times
Well, I will say the staff in the women's unit was great last year. Very nice nurses and a very nice, now two year old facility. Unforetunately I got to visit everyday for a month between the wife and the NICU. The NICU in particular was very nice.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:22 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times
I don't have any knowledge with NHR, but they are the biggest hospital in the area. I guess the next closest hospital would be PCMH. They have an AWESOME heart center that opened a few years ago

Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 PM

11 posts, read 28,931 times
Can anyone speak of the hospitals EMS service there that provides paramedic level care to the area, Wilmington and Hew Hanover county. I'm a medic and Im moving to the coast in a year, I know there are a couple good ems services there on the coast, just trying to find the best one and best fit for me.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,249 times
Does anyone out there have any info on nursing salaries in the Wilmington area? I have 9 years of experience in Obstetrics. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina