Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,034 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been reading many different posts here, and first I must say how helpful the majority of the comments often are. I am writing because my fiance and I are relocating, based on his job, to one of the following areas: South/Southeast Houston, Texas; Southwest Knoxville, TN; or Southern Wilmington, NC. He already has job offers in each of these places, and I am a teacher, so I should be more likely to find a job in a US area than a more specialized professional might. My concerns are that we are going into this blind, not having visited any of these cities or areas. We are looking for the following:

-to buy a 3-4 bedroom home in a suburban area and set down roots, to later build a family there
-to have decent schools for me to find employment in, and later raise children in (I am a certified elementary teacher, special education teacher, and soon to be middle school mathematics teacher from NJ)
-to have a decent entertainment/social/cultural atmosphere (including festivals, shows, museums, nightlife, community sports/activities)
-a lower crime rate in the suburban areas that we would be living in

I know decent is a vague word, but I also recognize that none of these places is going to have the absolute best of all the things we are looking for. I appreciate any help or suggestions you can provide for any of these areas and our criteria.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,273,706 times
Wow all three cities will have what you are looking for in life and all three cities are vastly different type of enviroments

Old 03-25-2008, 10:02 PM

83 posts, read 366,650 times
I don't have a clue about Houston...but it is a slam dunk Knoxville over Wilmington. Ah where do I start or better yet where do I end. First off...you cannot get anything repaired in Wilmington...half the people don't show up...the other fourth are incompetent and that leaves the others to rip you off.

Second all you have here is the beach which is crowded...polluted and expensive. You have the beautiful mountains in East Tennessee and lakes. Plenty of hardwood trees and beautiful colors. No color in Wilmington all scrub pine trees.

You have four seasons in Knoxville all you have in Wilmington is mild and hot.

Nice accessible university in Knoxville with The University of Tennessee. All Wilmington has is North Carolina Wilmington...which is in the epicenter of the most dangerous city streets from a traffic standpoint in North Carolina...Wilmington.

No professional sports teams in Wilmington. Knoxville has a AA baseball team and a minor league hockey team. Only a three hour drive to Cincinatti or Atlanta to see the pros.

No threat of catestrophic hurricanes in Knoxville...Wilmington it is a matter of when not if.

Decent if not good job market in the Knoxville area with technology base in nearby Oak Ridge and manufacturing in nearby Maryville and Morristown. The university is the base in Knoxville itself. Wilmington...not really a base just a few seasonal service jobs with the tourist industry.

Do yourself a favor and pass on Wilmington...it is flat out horrible.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,798,803 times
I have pretty much heard that texas is the place to be as far as economy. I wouldn't live in texas because it's too far from my family and too hot, but I have heard that it is a great place to live. I agree with some of what fortysixandtwo says. I don't know a lot about knoxville, but I am sure you can get more for your money. look at the stats for each of the cities. no matter where you are, you can find/avoid the situations you seek. most important thing is how much money you can make and the cost of living!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 PM

24 posts, read 123,331 times
Okay I grew up in Houston. Currently live in Fort Hood and we are relocating to Wilmington, NC this May. I have never been to Knoxville but I'm sure it's nice. This is what I have to say about HOuston. Houston is not the nicest city to live in Texas. That would be Austin or San Antonio or even Dallas.

It's just not very pretty. It's 100% humidity and takes alot of getting use to. Traffic is bad but I've been in worse (Chicago!). Texas is a great place to buy a house you can buy MORE house for less. But the property taxes are high. I lived in The Woodlands, and my sister lives in Katy. So I can answer any questions about those areas.

I look forward to Wilmington. It's beautiful and it's on the coast. Taxes are lower but cost in square footage is higher.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:10 AM

83 posts, read 366,650 times
It's just not very pretty. It's 100% humidity and takes alot of getting use to. Traffic is bad but I've been in worse (Chicago!).

Hmm...sounds familiar...you should feel right at home.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:34 PM

24 posts, read 123,331 times
I've heard nothing but great things about Wilmington so I look forward to the move. What's great about NC vs. Texas is you can drive to the mountains or any other nearby states for vacations. In Houston you can go to different cities but you are still in Texas. LA is the only other state within a reasonable driving distance. I say TN or NC. I spent age 14 to 28 living in Houston. My parents still live there so I visit all the time. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina