U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-04-2018, 10:12 PM
 
351 posts, read 471,346 times
Reputation: 121

Advertisements

I am curious to know how come the Norfolk Southern Line that runs from the State Port at Morehead City/Atlantic Beach area up through Kinston, Goldsboro, Selma, Raleigh, Cary, Durham & as far as Greensboro does not run Intermodal Rail Traffic. If I am not mistaken, I believe that the State Port in Wilmington has started running Intermodal Rail traffic on the CSX line from Wilmington to Charlotte to the Inland Port. I am curious to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2018, 02:26 AM
 
Location: Southport, NC
152 posts, read 142,175 times
Reputation: 104
NC Ports, Jul 20, 2017, "North Carolina Ports, CSX to Commence Queen City Express"

On of the bottlenecks for the Queen City route is the the track condition from the port to the bridge across the Cape Fear River heading to & from Charlotte. NCDOT has projects on the State Transportation Improvement Program database, which was updated earlier this week, that will improve the existing track and crossings to about double the allowed speed for the these runs through Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 08:32 AM
 
351 posts, read 471,346 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikjim View Post
NC Ports, Jul 20, 2017, "North Carolina Ports, CSX to Commence Queen City Express"

On of the bottlenecks for the Queen City route is the the track condition from the port to the bridge across the Cape Fear River heading to & from Charlotte. NCDOT has projects on the State Transportation Improvement Program database, which was updated earlier this week, that will improve the existing track and crossings to about double the allowed speed for the these runs through Wilmington.
Understandable, but what about the NS line from the Morehead City Port up towards Raleigh? How come intermodal traffic does not run on that line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 08:57 AM
 
666 posts, read 579,384 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Understandable, but what about the NS line from the Morehead City Port up towards Raleigh? How come intermodal traffic does not run on that line?
Morehead City doesn't handle freight that shippers send on intermodal trains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 09:07 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,443,919 times
Reputation: 5345
As js4life alluded to Morehead City doesn't handle containers. It only handles bulk, breakbulk and roro cargo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 09:30 AM
 
351 posts, read 471,346 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Morehead City doesn't handle freight that shippers send on intermodal trains
Ooohh ok, got you. what is it that Morehead City handle then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 09:38 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,443,919 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Ooohh ok, got you. what is it that Morehead City handle then?
Phosphate
Sulfur
Metal Products
Rubber
Wood Chips
Aircraft Parts
Grain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 11:06 AM
 
351 posts, read 471,346 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Phosphate
Sulfur
Metal Products
Rubber
Wood Chips
Aircraft Parts
Grain
Ok, that makes sense now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Southport, NC
152 posts, read 142,175 times
Reputation: 104
Phospate s the big deal at Morehead City. A very big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 07:46 AM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,981 posts, read 8,750,911 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikjim View Post
Phospate s the big deal at Morehead City. A very big deal.
Beat me to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top