U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:16 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times

Advertisements

We've been in North Carolina about 13 years (4 in Greenville, 2 in Franklin County, 6 in Winston-Salem area) and only recently visited Topsail Island. I think I'm going to fall in love with the area. We've been looking for a condo to use as a second home at/near a beach for over 2 years, anywhere from Atlantic Beach NC down to the south end of Myrtle Beach SC.

After seeing some very low prices in North Topsail Beach, we decided to visit the area. Of course, the reason for the low cost is the lack of usable beach (especially during high tide). But the properties are priced about what non-oceanfront condos are in many other areas. So I figure we'll have the ocean view without paying the typical premium - we just won't always be able to just walk out to the beach. We close on our condo in a couple of days. We hope to enjoy it for a while before mother nature takes the buildings out with a hurricane. And hopefully, the terminal groin plan will actually bring back some of the beach - we're just not counting on that. If it happens and is successful, that will be a bonus.

Can someone name their favorite restaurants, or favorite activities in the area? So far, we've been to Inlet 790 and Ocean's Edge in North Topsail. We'll be about 10-15 minutes from Surf City and Sneads Ferry, so places near there would be best. I understand one of the small charter boat operators in the area have a "Yappy Hour" short boat ride where you can take your dogs - we'll be trying that out for sure. My wife likes shopping at boutiques with unique items - decor, jewelry, clothing, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 07:24 AM

98 posts, read 77,485 times
The turtle factory has a wine and paint activity. Also do basket making ect. Great place. Theres also sneaky freaky bakery right there, amazing baked goods.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:09 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Both Rick's Restaurant and the Lo-re-Lei Pub have game nights: Dart tournaments, trivia contests, etc. There is a decent hamburger at Lor-re-Lei, and decent prime rib at Rick's. Outriggers 21 is a new seafood place at Sneads Ferry's 4 Corners. Cancun is also a decent Mexican restaurant.

Surf City has a lot more boutique shopping. Sneads Ferry has very limited shopping other than basics.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw55 View Post
The turtle factory has a wine and paint activity. Also do basket making ect. Great place. Theres also sneaky freaky bakery right there, amazing baked goods.
Nice. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Both Rick's Restaurant and the Lo-re-Lei Pub have game nights: Dart tournaments, trivia contests, etc. There is a decent hamburger at Lor-re-Lei, and decent prime rib at Rick's. Outriggers 21 is a new seafood place at Sneads Ferry's 4 Corners. Cancun is also a decent Mexican restaurant.

Surf City has a lot more boutique shopping. Sneads Ferry has very limited shopping other than basics.
I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about Rick's yet...other than that it's a Steelers bar lol

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 AM

10,672 posts, read 11,296,076 times
We like the Daddy Mac's at Surf City. The food is pretty good and you can't beat the view if you sit outside on the deck. I have heard really good things about Sears Landing near the bridge, too.

Good luck with the condo. I would never be able to handle the anxiety of owning one there with all those sandbags around.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
We like the Daddy Mac's at Surf City. The food is pretty good and you can't beat the view if you sit outside on the deck. I have heard really good things about Sears Landing near the bridge, too.

Good luck with the condo. I would never be able to handle the anxiety of owning one there with all those sandbags around.
Thanks for those suggestions.

If a storm takes out the building(s), I think I'd rather them not rebuild and I'd prefer to just get a check from the insurance company. We decided we couldn't pass up the price, which is 1/2 or less than anything else comparable on the beach. I just know not to expect the value of the property to appreciate over the years, due to the sandbags and continued erosion concerns.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:42 AM

10,672 posts, read 11,296,076 times
How are the insurance costs? Seems like a place like that might be hard to insure.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:01 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
For restaurants, there is also the Riverview in the fishing village area of Sneads Ferry. They do old-fashioned fried seafood and hushpuppies, with meringue pies for dessert. It is worth driving around there just to view the quaint village buildings. There may o may not be a gift shop still there across form the Riverview.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
How are the insurance costs? Seems like a place like that might be hard to insure.
HOA dues cover the building...around $400/month dues. I'm sure most of that cost is due to flood/wind peril, as the property doesn't have many amenities. I figure I'm paying about $250/month or $3,000 per year to cover the risk of flood/wind/etc for the building itself.

Unitowners Insurance (HO6) covers personal property at around $650/year. The same coverage would be about $250/year for a non-coastal condo. So another $400 extra/year to cover the risk of flood/wind/etc for personal property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina