U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 11:13 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,895,899 times

Advertisements

Hi:

Apologize but find the NC DMV site a tad confusing on what to do.
I need to register my leased car that currently has Florida tags to North Carolina.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on this? I don't want to drive into Jacksonville without everything I will need.

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 12:20 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,447,386 times
This is how it would work if you own the car*: First you need to get an NC drivers license. Next is get the car titled in NC. Costs are: 3% Highway Use Tax (capped at $250 for transferring from another state), $52 title fee, small notary fee $3 to $5 (but only payable in cash). Then register the car in NC. Costs are: $36 plate fee and property taxes (amount will vary depending on value of car and tax rate of where you live).

You'll need to take proof of vehicle insurance in NC (talk to your insurer about what that means).

*I have never leased a car so I don't know exactly how that works. Do you have a title for the car in your name? You may need to call DMV and ask how it works with a leased vehicle.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:19 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,895,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
This is how it would work if you own the car*: First you need to get an NC drivers license. Next is get the car titled in NC. Costs are: 3% Highway Use Tax (capped at $250 for transferring from another state), $52 title fee, small notary fee $3 to $5 (but only payable in cash). Then register the car in NC. Costs are: $36 plate fee and property taxes (amount will vary depending on value of car and tax rate of where you live).

You'll need to take proof of vehicle insurance in NC (talk to your insurer about what that means).

*I have never leased a car so I don't know exactly how that works. Do you have a title for the car in your name? You may need to call DMV and ask how it works with a leased vehicle.
No that is why I'm unsure what to do, I've never moved midway into a lease. When I moved to Florida I owned my jeep outright so it was easy just getting title and then registration.

What is a highway use tax? Forgive my ignorance as both prior states of Fl and NJ where I lived didn't have this.
Is this something you pay every year or a one time fee?

Old 04-09-2018, 01:55 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,447,386 times
"NC collects a Highway Use Tax on vehicles instead of a state sales tax. The tax is assessed each time a title is transferred."

My best advice is to call DMV and ask how the process works with a leased car, or call the company you're leasing from. They may be easier to get in touch with, lol.

Edit: Here is a page from the NCDMV website specific to leased cars:

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/leased/

It doesn't sound like a simple process. The first step is still to get an NC drivers license. I'd do that, and then call your leasing company, then call or visit the DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or