Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,184 times

Advertisements

I saw that some people were moving to the beach area even with the probability of a hurricane.
Any areas of the NC coast that have not been damaged by erosion and heavy storms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricaneless View Post
I saw that some people were moving to the beach area even with the probability of a hurricane.
Um, yes, people have been moving to beach areas for many, many years in many, many different places.

Quote:
Any areas of the NC coast that have not been damaged by erosion and heavy storms?
In what time frame? All of recorded history? Define "damaged".

North Carolina's beaches are almost all barrier islands, and as such are very fragile. Erosion of beaches happens even without storms. In fact, the Outer Banks are slowly migrating westward, and have been since they first appeared 5-7,000 years ago.

What is the context of your question?

Old 04-25-2018, 05:06 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
No place on the NC coast, or the East coast as a rule, is "without hurricanes". Sometimes I wonder if Google even still exists...

List of NC Hurricanes and
List of NC Hurricanes since 2000.

But it doesn't matter what the history has been; a new hurricane could strike anywhere on the coast regardless of what's ever hit there before.

Look at a map. Note the way the NC coast just out into the ocean compared to SC. That = vulnerability.

Learn a little bit about Atlantic hurricanes and their paths. They hit the coast. They hit NC.

However, the likelihood, while not 0 and not predictable, is rare. People manage to live there just fine. Constant fear of hurricanes is not on their mind.

But, you will not find a place 100% immune to hurricane danger on the NC coast.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:32 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
The answer to OP's question is "No."

We recently bought oceanfront property at North Topsail Beach, in the area of some of the worst erosion on pretty much the entire coast. This means we have walk a short distance for a usable beach, and might not be able to access a nearby beach at all at high tide. As far as hurricanes, we'll have plenty of warning and time to evacuate as necessary.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:46 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,810,396 times
I suspect OP is trolling. Go to his history and look at his other thread in the Georgia forum.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I suspect OP is trolling. Go to his history and look at his other thread in the Georgia forum.
I should have known. Don't feed the trolls!

Old 05-19-2018, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,184 times
The question was a legitimate one. Sorry if some of you were offended. I'm not even sure what a troll is.
Anyway, I found a site that helps if anyone is interested.

https://msc.fema.gov/portal

Old 05-19-2018, 04:21 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
The question was a legitimate one. Sorry if some of you were offended. I'm not even sure what a troll is.
Anyway, I found a site that helps if anyone is interested.

https://msc.fema.gov/portal
Flood maps have very little connection with the erosion of beaches by storms. All beaches are, virtually by definition, in a flood zone. And all beaches are subject to erosion during storms and hurricanes. I'm happy to provide you with more information, but i still don't understand what information you are seeking.

I find this site much easier to use than the FEMA site for flood zone maps in NC:

http://fris.nc.gov/fris/Home.aspx?ST=NC

Old 05-20-2018, 09:00 AM

77 posts, read 144,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Flood maps have very little connection with the erosion of beaches by storms. All beaches are, virtually by definition, in a flood zone. And all beaches are subject to erosion during storms and hurricanes. I'm happy to provide you with more information, but i still don't understand what information you are seeking.

I find this site much easier to use than the FEMA site for flood zone maps in NC:

Flood Risk Information System
Thanks for sharing this site, Bill. We were in Surf City last week and (wife) might be smitten. We are toying with idea of buying a lot and building and all the info, potential costs, etc, is mind blowing for this land lubber.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:51 PM

18 posts, read 37,275 times
Nearly anywhere along the NC coast, can be susceptible to erosion and storm damage. With the predicted rise in sea levels in the future, it certainly will become more of an issue. Do your research, look at recent weather events for the areas you are considering, to determine how storms and erosion have affected them in the past 5 years.

I moved to the mainland in Sunset Beach, NC this year, about 3 miles from the beach. We spent nearly 2 years searching for an NC Coastal area where we wanted to move. We searched from the Outer Banks, down the coast into South Carolina, and that included Topsail and Surf City.

We knew right from the start we were not moving onto an island, due to the potential impact from Hurricanes. Additionally, the costs for property and houses are significantly elevated on the islands, as are insurance costs (I've heard quotes of over 10K a year for Homeowners + Flood for some island properties).

Rather, we bought on the mainland into a community that offered the amenities we wanted, including a large parking lot at the beach that our HOA owns.

We don't regret the move at all, love living here in NC. Good luck.

J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina