U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 16,389 times

Advertisements

Hi!

This is my first time posting to this site. I am interested in moving to Coastal NC and looking for a town that has access to healthy organic foods and are health-conscious (i.e interest in alternative medicine and yoga, etc.). I have heard good things about Wilmington and I am also interested in other possible towns. Does any one have suggestions?

Also, what is the job market like for a yoga teacher/herbalist, and her government cartographer boyfriend? I am curious because we will both need to work and make similar salaries to what we are making in the Washington, DC area (I make $30k and he makes $75k). Are there similar financial opportunities in the coastal NC area? What cities/coastal towns do you recommend?

Blessings~
Ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:53 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,356,646 times
hi ashley, the job market on the coast is very soft right now due to the fact that it has mostly service oriented jobs. let me tell you from experience, you will make much less money in a coastal town in NC than you are making in DC. I would say that the jobs pay at least 40% less in wilmington. your best chance at getting a similar paying job and living closer to the coast would be to consider a town like norfolk. that area of VA is very big and much less expensive than wilmington.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:38 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,866,638 times
Hi Ashley,

Our area of the Crystal Coast, the name under which Beaufort, Morehead City, Newport, and the Bogue Banks are collectively marketed (Carteret County), seems to fit the bill for your yoga, holistic needs.

There's an increasing shift of consciousness underway here with a new Holistic Healing Center just opened in MC, named Namaste, that offers aromatherapy, Reiki, a compounding herbalist, natural hormone testing and balancing, belly and yoga classes and more on tap.

A dedicated yoga studio is also set to open in several weeks in MC. It sounds lovely.

There's also a physician and other health professionals, including acupuncturist, with a focus on alternative healing rather than pharmaceuticals. And there are more and more vendors involved in the Buy Local movement here and who sell organic products.

It could be timely for you to come to get in on the ground floor.

You may take a financial hit, hard to say, but likely, at least in the beginning.

Is it worth it? It was for us--we traded in stress and looking for parking spots for endless miles of beach to walk and a warm sense of community. But your mileage may vary.

As far as culture, it's here. People from all over live here and there are many with PhD's here...there's jazz, chamber music, and all sorts of very talented artists, musicians and published writers (your truly included, blush, blush).

Your BF's profession? He might check with the Duke Marine Lab or NOAA facility in Beaufort or Cherry Point Military complex in Havelock--don't know much about his profession, really.

Come visit. You, too, might find it worthwhile to trade in stress and panty hose for tropical shirts and leaping dolphins...but you'll not get rich financially, only in contentment...

Hope this helps...

Just say Om,

LittleDolphin

Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 16,389 times
Default Thank you for the great info

Thank you both for your insight.

Littledolphin, I deeply appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. With every word my smile brightened. I love the idea of leaving the busy city and joining a community of other like minded folks. I sounds like you are right and there is a trend of these modalities becoming more accepted and appreciated in your town. My boyfriend currently works for NOAA (imagine that!) so I think the stars are begining to align

So I have a few more questions. Are there any websites that your recommend for getting to know the crystal coast (i.e. local hot spots, community centers, etc.) that also have nice photos? And, are there any hotels/bed and breakfasts you'd recommend for us to stay while we explore the town.

Again, thank you and thank you, and perhaps one day we'll exchange a passing smile on a nice stroll on the beach......ahhh.....beach....

Ashley

Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Great! Glad the info was helpful. Love this area, nature and people.

I'd start with North Carolina's Crystal Coast - Home and also check out: Crystal Coast of NC, North Carolina's Crystal Coast, Crystal Coast NC Beach Vacations (http://www.visitnc.com/where_to_go_coast_crystal.asp - broken link)

All the B & B's are delightful, the several located on Front St. in Beaufort have water views, but I hesitate to make recommendations only because I've some friends who run B&B's in the area and would not want to show favoritism--so why don't you tour the lodging section on the tourism website and see if one catches your fancy?

In Beaufort, Red Dog Inn, will take dogs, which is cool and hard to find.

Hope it all works out for you. Big cities are vital and exciting, but are also quite wearing after a while...at least we found it so. Perhaps you will enjoy the slower pace and gentle spirits here on the Crystal Coast, too.

It's become our om away from home (sorry couldn't resist).

Regards,

Little Dolphin

Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 PM

Oh, Ashley, I almost forgot, you might enjoy the piece I wrote about Beaufort for the www.visitnc (broken link) web site...here's the link:

Discover Charming Beaufort (http://www.visitnc.com/where_to_go_article.asp?r=3&s=3&sg=13&ArticleID=11 74 - broken link)

That's part of my writing career--I write profiles of towns--I'm a huge fan of small towns and love writing snapshots of their specialness for town websites and articles...very joyful work...doesn't even feel like work!! Right livelihood for certain.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 8,798 times
Default Crystal Coast

Hi Ashley,
I agree with Dolphin, the towns that were mentioned are beginning to buzz with awakenings and it's right on the edge to start really blossoming. There is the WHRN (check out their website) for a network of folks who are in similar fields, such as yourself. I myself teach a number of classes at the community college (Body/Mind & Spirit connection....so I discuss alternative modalities) and information rether "side" when one crosses over.

While this is still considered the Bible Belt and there are folks out there that just have never "heard" of an herbalist or understand it's meaning....we are getting positive recognition.

There is a great, eclectic artistic mix and if you "hang" out around downtown Beaufort....you are sure to run into a wide variety of musicians, artists, etc. You just never know who you are going to find!

Welcome to the best "secret" on the East Coast!

Dr. J. Herbert

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-22-2009 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 04-21-2008, 02:10 PM

39 posts, read 151,815 times
Hi Ashley,

I live in Hampstead which is about 10 minutes from Topsail Island and 15-20 minutes from Wilmington. I love, love, love this area. Hampstead has a nice hometown feel. You can definitely get yoga and organic foods around here especially in Wilmington.

There is tons to do in Wilmington too.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 PM

27 posts, read 84,481 times
I notice that you often visit this forum. I'm also an acupuncturist, and really really want to move back to NC where I grew up, but this time to the coast. I'm saving and getting it together to start my own business there. I'm also working on a web site that will hopefully help generate more income to make such a move more possible earlier. My question is similar to the young woman who wrote, just a bit modified for me personally. I'm single, in my 40's and don't want to give up dating although I'm not frantic about getting married or anything. Are there people in my age range living in the coastal areas you mentioned? I'm seeking a more liberal feel, artsy towns that show more than just beach art, and just a bit of activity (nothing like in my 20's) such as festivals, friendly little bars and cafes, and open-minded people who like to talk with each other?...
I'm a big time water lover and see myself taking sailing lessons someday. Which of the towns you know of, should I be checking out in my visit this coming summer?
FYI, I live in Denver right now and have good friends here, but it's just not my cup of tea long term.
Many thanks and much appreciated,
Michelle

Old 02-21-2009, 04:46 PM

The Crystal Coast, especially Beaufort/Morehead City might fit you fine.

Now it's only one-third Democrat, politically, but I think that figure belies the openness and interest in an organic/yoga lifestyle.

Beaufort has a wonderful little community market/health food store, we're working on CSA's and community gardens in this area, and we're attracting new arrivals from all over. Being a favorite little seaport for cruising boats and having the Duke Marine Lab brings in some lively 'outsider' viewpoints. A melting pot of different lifestyles and let's all get along mindset.

We're getting more and more retirees and lifestyle switchers from metro areas like NY, Phila, and DC, so there's growing interest in acupuncture and holistic and integrative medicine. Lots of massage professionals here already.

Festivals, cozy pubs, live music and lots of watery activities sound like what you're looking for and it's all found here. Can't speak to the dating scene as I'm married but you know how it is in a seaport..a comely lass is always welcomed and admired...

And this is a friendly area for man, beast or boat.

Come on down and check us out. Give me a holler when you're coming and I'll introduce you around. Not a realtor, but a writer who believes in acupuncture.

Little Dolphin,

Village Scribe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina