U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 04:51 AM

69 posts, read 52,635 times

Advertisements

I understand there are a lot of variables. That said, approx how much to build a quality, 1800sf, 3/2, single story (but on stilts) full concrete driveway and pad under, nice but not over the top finishes, nice full width front porch. Basically the style of home you see virtually all over the NC coast.

Could I do it for <$250k?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:33 AM

69 posts, read 52,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic11 View Post
I understand there are a lot of variables. That said, approx how much to build a quality, 1800sf, 3/2, single story (but on stilts) full concrete driveway and pad under, nice but not over the top finishes, nice full width front porch. Basically the style of home you see virtually all over the NC coast.

Could I do it for <$250k?

Thanks!
Actually, closer to ~1400sf, not 1800.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:44 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,255 times
If I had to take a wild guess, I would think $200/sf would be feasible, so $250k might be doable. But I'm just thinking of typical inland building costs and adding a wild guess for additional cost for coastal building. This excludes the cost of land.

On a related note, I'm looking forward to spending as much time as possible on Topsail Island soon - we bought a modest condo in North Topsail Beach that we are fixing up as a vacation home.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:02 PM

219 posts, read 164,737 times
Just completed construction on Topsail Island, sound front home, 2400 sq. ft., 10'x34' decks both levels sound side, 5'x22' decks both levels on driveway side, house on pilings, full slab under structure, pervious concrete driveway. We chose to build with achieving a Gold Fortified Structure rating which adds some to the cost. Impact glass on all windows and doors, wind rated roof shingles and vinyl siding. Interior has relatively modest finishes including Level 1 granite countertops in kitchen and bathrooms, JK Cabinets in bathroom, semi-custom cabinets in kitchen, white oak hardwoods in "living" areas and master bedroom, carpet in 3 bedrooms, 1x4 millwork on doors/windows (no crown anywhere). We stuck to budget on most lighting and plumbing fixtures (budgets were not excessive whatsoever), 3-stop elevator, ground-level deck off the slab sound side same dimensions as the decks above (10x34). Tile in all bathrooms and ground level entry. We came in at approximately $185 +/- per sq. ft. (excluding land and site work).

It can be done for less just all depends on what you're looking for. I think realistically you'll find it'll end up costing somewhere between $160-170/sq. ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina