U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2006, 04:51 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,368,832 times

Advertisements

Just an observation from a Newbie, but appears that most of the NC topics are about Raleigh and all points west.
Any coastal folks like me out there??
(Is Wilmington considered coastal? )
Great site!!
Bill
(From "The Crystal Coast" of North Carolina!)

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 12-12-2006 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: spelling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 05:09 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,715,217 times
Yep, the majority of posts are concerning the Charlotte and Raleigh Metro areas, but both have their own sub-forums now.

Charlotte Metro Area

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/

Raleigh-Durham Metro Area

http://www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-metro-area/

Other NC Areas

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/

Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,141,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Just an observation from a Newbie, but appears that most of the NC topics are about Raleigh and all points west.
Great site!!
Bill
Yes, honey, there are those of us who live at the coast vicariously, such as me. My youngest lives in Wilmington and is a UNC-W grad and employee (Go Seahawks!) and middle son lives / works at Hilton Head. DON'T TELL ANYONE!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2006, 03:02 PM

787 posts, read 3,327,282 times
The reason most people steer away from the coastal areas unless they were born here is because of the threat of the hurricanes. From 1996-1999, we were hit 6 times and twice by the same system in 1999 followed closely by Hurricane Floyd that nearly sank the entire eastern part of the state. That might be the trend towards points westward. But the last round of hurricanes that hit Florida took an extremely wide swipe at the state and hit areas in the mountains that probably haven't seen hurricane damage in decades. So no place is really safe from some type of natural disaster. But I will say the homeowners insurance on the coastal areas are probably more than further inland. Now I am referring to those all but on the water.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:23 PM

505 posts, read 2,317,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
The reason most people steer away from the coastal areas unless they were born here is because of the threat of the hurricanes. From 1996-1999, we were hit 6 times and twice by the same system in 1999 followed closely by Hurricane Floyd that nearly sank the entire eastern part of the state. That might be the trend towards points westward. But the last round of hurricanes that hit Florida took an extremely wide swipe at the state and hit areas in the mountains that probably haven't seen hurricane damage in decades. So no place is really safe from some type of natural disaster. But I will say the homeowners insurance on the coastal areas are probably more than further inland. Now I am referring to those all but on the water.
I don't agree with that.

I think the reason nobody talks about the coast is there are no job opportunities there. People are relocating here for the high number of high paying jobs, and relative low costs of living (compared to where they are moving from) They want to move to a place where they can make money off of there houses.

Hurricanes have nothing to do with it, or they should not. They don't keep anyone out of Florida.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:29 PM

20 posts, read 73,369 times
Quote:
Great site!!
Bill
Anyone from Outer Banks? Kill Devil Hills?

Old 12-15-2006, 04:51 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,368,832 times
If you examine the damage and the areas affected by NC hurricanes you may find that coastal residents often fare better than folks far inland.
Example: Anyone remember Charlotte during Huricane Hugo??
The coast of North Carolina is the number one vacation destination and the number one relocation destination in the state. Tourism is often times the number one industry for North Carolina.
But Beffrey2 is correct-the job opportunities-particularly the high tech opportunities are not along the NC coast.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:32 PM

505 posts, read 2,317,773 times
Quote:
If you examine the damage and the areas affected by NC hurricanes you may find that coastal residents often fare better than folks far inland.
Example: Anyone remember Charlotte during Huricane Hugo??
The coast of North Carolina is the number one vacation destination and the number one relocation destination in the state. Tourism is often times the number one industry for North Carolina.
But Beffrey2 is correct-the job opportunities-particularly the high tech opportunities are not along the NC coast.

Yeah, I lived down there in New Bern during all those Hurricanes (the 96 through 01 canes) we had zero damage through out any of them. The only damage we saw anywhere in New Bern was Pine tree damage. Morehead city had very little damage as well. Just some minor beach front damage. Inland areas just east of Raleigh get hit the worst because of flooding. And on top of that the wind is usually strong enough for some Pine tree damage as well.

Only of you are on the barrier islands, should you worry about powerful hurricanes. (Atlantic Beach to Emerald Isle, Surf City to Topsail, Outerbanks) And of of course the beaches east and southeast of Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina