Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,576 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are interested in relocating to central coast of North Carolina. We have visited the Beaufort, Morehead City area. People and area seem really nice. Would also like to check out Swansboro/Newport area. We love boating and fishing and like the small town feel of those areas. Any comments on this area or possibly other coastal towns would really be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile Small towns are the key to Crystal Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradyman View Post
My wife and I are interested in relocating to central coast of North Carolina. We have visited the Beaufort, Morehead City area. People and area seem really nice. Would also like to check out Swansboro/Newport area. We love boating and fishing and like the small town feel of those areas. Any comments on this area or possibly other coastal towns would really be appreciated.
We live not far from Swansboro, Cedar Point, and Cape Carteret.

It is a really nice area with lots going for it. If you love the out of doors, water, and the feel of small town communities, you cannot go wrong with this area.

I think the area is very unique because none of the towns are very large, even Morehead City. Yet just about every service that you could want aside from very fancy shopping is available. Many of the people live here all year, and people are very accepting of outsiders since there have been lots of people from far away living here for over 25 years.

To a large extent the area has always catered to fishermen and people who love the out of doors. There is not a lot of night life, but there are miles of uncrowded beaches and lot of great water for boating. On top of that Croatan National Forest has 157,000 acres.

There are plenty of restaurants, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc so we rarely have to leave the area.

Pretty well everything stays open all year.

We really enjoy the local festivals which seem to come at very regular intervals. There is everything from the recent Oyster Roast in Swansboro to Lobster festivals held by the churches.

We also enjoy the museums and the NC Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores.

I feel really fortunate to be here. My boat is behind the house on a lift so I can drop it in the water and in be in the Intracoastal Waterway in ten minuets and out Bogue Inlet in another ten minutes.

The fishing is great.

Except for holiday weekends the waterways are rarely crowded. Those weekends we just stay up on the White Oak River which never gets busy.

There are a number of communities along Bogue Sound and on both sides of the White Oak that provide some type of water access.

You can pretty well pick the kind of amenities that you want and find a place which fits your budget. Some places have swimming pools, others just focus on boat facilities.

You should have no trouble finding something you will like.

Check out my post on ten reasons Carteret County is the spot for me and my Swansboro Travel Guide.

This is a link to a site with a diary of most of our first year here.

Last edited by dsobotta; 03-27-2008 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: link not working

Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 AM

22 posts, read 62,014 times
Default David, In regard to boating...

Where would a sailboater with a 5 foot draft be happiest in this area? We currently live in Connecticut. 5 minutes from leaving the dock we can put up our sail & be on our way. Lots of daysailing destinations & the whole world for cruising! I'm concerned that shallow waters will make daysailing much more limited for us in the Beaufort/Morehead City area, but I hope you can prove me wrong.
Marc

Old 03-28-2008, 07:09 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Oriental--the Sailing Capital of NC

You're right, Beaufort/MC waters are what's known as "thin," meaning shallow and they shoal up. Profitable area for Tow Boat USA. Big go-fast boat area, though.

However, good news, not very far away is the cute town of Oriental which is known as cited above...check out their Town Dock website TownDock.net | Oriental NC News and Google Oriental to learn more...your five foot draft would be happier in O'town...fair breezes to ya!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
if you like boating and have some money, move to oriental!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:41 AM

22 posts, read 62,014 times
Default Oriental & other alternatives

Thanks for the replies. I know of Oriental's reputation as a sailing community and I've been considering it for that reason. I am looking for a somewhat larger town though. The Beaufort/Morehead City area seems perfect as far as size & services are concerned but I had doubts about it as a sailing area. Elizabeth City is another town I've read about that may work for us.

At this point we are trying to identify those areas we need to visit before moving in a few years. We're looking for a Town large enough to have stores to supply all of the daily needs, an area with good boating, good birding, reasonably close to good medical facilities (within 30-45 minutes) & low crime rate. We want to live in a tourist dependant area where the community has an incentive to pick up litter and keep their environment clean. Want to live above the 100 year tidal surge. Living on the water is not a requirement but ideally we would be within 1.5 miles of our marina. We should have 300-350K to put into a home. Desire 3 bedroom ranch with 2 baths. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks again. Marc

Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Well you could trade in your 5 ft. draft boat for a retractable keel and still have fun in Beaufort/MC...or maybe a multi-hull?? Not sure about that 100 year surge requirement, though. I'll leave that to more knowledgeable folks...

What about New Bern?

Elizabeth City has lots of potential but it doesn't yet have the pizazz or the tourism draw of the Crystal Coast...but I'm sure it will as more and more Baby Boomers retire and look for coastal property and mild climate. Certainly worth a visit IMHO. Check out Edenton, too, while you're up that way. Sweet town, don't know much about the sailing there.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile Thoughts on your boating challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by marber View Post
Thanks for the replies. I know of Oriental's reputation as a sailing community and I've been considering it for that reason. I am looking for a somewhat larger town though. The Beaufort/Morehead City area seems perfect as far as size & services are concerned but I had doubts about it as a sailing area. Elizabeth City is another town I've read about that may work for us.

At this point we are trying to identify those areas we need to visit before moving in a few years. We're looking for a Town large enough to have stores to supply all of the daily needs, an area with good boating, good birding, reasonably close to good medical facilities (within 30-45 minutes) & low crime rate. We want to live in a tourist dependant area where the community has an incentive to pick up litter and keep their environment clean. Want to live above the 100 year tidal surge. Living on the water is not a requirement but ideally we would be within 1.5 miles of our marina. We should have 300-350K to put into a home. Desire 3 bedroom ranch with 2 baths. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks again. Marc
Marc,

We have many sailboats passing through the area. There are often several sailboats moored in Taylor's Creek in Beaufort.

The Intracoastal Waterway which passes right by Beaufort is plenty deep so you can cruise on it and use a place like Beaufort or Morehead City as your harbor. I am not certain that meets your day trip needs.

One of things I often tell people is don't try to view the area as a single town. The towns in the area area complement each other nicely.

It works that way because it takes less than 35 minutes to go from Swansboro to Beaufort. Probably 10-15 minutes of that is getting through Morehead City.

It is not unusual to see someone docking a boat in Morehead City and living in the western part of the county.

As to your other requirements, the birding seems great, we enjoy a wide variety of feathered friends.

The biggest challenge you will have is that development on the Carolina coast is mixed.

Some towns like Emerald Isle (and Beaufort inside the historic district) are very dependent on tourism so they work really hard at keeping things neat, but Emerald is not the right spot for you as far as a marina would go.

Morehead City and nearby areas have housing in the price range you want.

There are hospitals in Morehead City, New Bern, and Jacksonville.

I have a tidal surge map of the area that I would be glad to send you if you want to send me a private message.

In general Carteret County goes downhill from west to east. The farther east you get the more likely you are to see water around your home at some point.

The smaller towns tend to have the lowest crime rates. You can check those out on City-Data's profiles. There is a list of the towns at the bottom of the article.

There's also a regional sailing magazine, but the name escapes me at the moment. I'll try to dig it up.

We often see someone anchor their sailboat for the night in Swansboro harbor, but certainly Bogue Sound except for the Intracoastal is much more suited to skiffs and bay boats.

All these marshes and shallow water areas filled with oysters do help us keep our water in pretty good shape.

Hopefully you can find a spot in the area that meets your needs. It is a great area.

Here is a picture I took over at the Beaufort Town dock last week.

http://coastalnc.org/beaufortdocks.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by dsobotta; 03-28-2008 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: changed a word

Old 05-03-2008, 10:49 AM

19 posts, read 67,916 times
Dsobotta, Wow,That was great info! Im in Hawaii and I think the East Coast is just as beautiful in a different way,Thanks for the articles.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:10 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
The blue line shows the ICW and pretty much the only place you'll find 5 feet (and more) of water along the Crystal Coast. The ICW averages around 15-20 feet.
That is-For the sound waters. Ocean side is a different story. The Beaufort Channel is about 50-60 feet deep.

http://www.crystalcoastrealestatetv.com/images/intracoastal2.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina