U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:14 AM

227 posts, read 246,089 times

Advertisements

So are all residents of Wrightsville Beach rich, elitist snobs, or just the Town’s “Board of Alderman”?

I have been going to the beach there for almost 20 years but only before or after they start charging to park. As a result, I had already been limited to either before 9am or after 6pm. This year back in February, they changed the enforcement hours to be until at least 7pm. It was already bad enough having to wait until 6pm.

When I first saw this, I thought that it meant instead of parking where I usually do - right at one of the access points off Lumina, that I would have to walk all the way to Pelican Drive, but they eliminated that option too.

I spend most of my summer up the road in the Mayfaire/Landfall area - specifically for those few minutes in the morning and evening at the beach and with this change, I am trying to figure out how I am going to deal with the evenings.

Just another victory for the rich in the war on the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 12:03 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,002,232 times
I hate to make light of anyone's financial situations in relation to being "poor", but $2.50 an hour that they charge does not seem like an exorbitant price. It is the beach after all. I completely understand not *wanting* to pay for any parking. But expecting things to stay the same after 20 years isn't really a realistic way to approach the situation.

It may simply be time to find a new beach to go to. I do not know if you are driving to Wrightsville from the Wilmington area, or if you are driving from farther away. But maybe a beach like Topsail or Surf City that offers free parking, or the Brunswick Co. beaches be a better option for you? Kure Beach appears to offer free parking in their lots as well.

I hope you find a solution. Good luck!

Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 PM

98 posts, read 77,596 times
I wouldn't mind paying 2.50 an hour to park if I knew I could show up on the weekends and find a spot to park. Parking there is horrendous on the weekends and even worse on holiday weekends. I'm guessing the pricier it gets the less people will go, opening spots up.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:59 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Yes, changing the parking hours can absolutely be accurately described as "war". Definitely.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:01 AM

I made it through last year by parking every evening along Pelican Drive and walking the 20 minutes to the beach. The signs last year for parking along Pelican Drive were "6pm". I get here this year and they have changed every single sign to now be "7pm" meaning it is now impossible to find any parking at all prior to that time once you get across the drawbridge. That 1 hour change means I won't be able to go to Wrightsville beach in the evening anymore.

Is anyone familiar with the other area beaches? From what I can tell, Carolina Beach - which I am not interested in, appears even more insane if the enforcement hours I found are correct. What about the other area beaches? Free parking anywhere anymore? I might have to buy a bike I guess.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:52 AM

2,399 posts, read 3,355,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I made it through last year by parking every evening along Pelican Drive and walking the 20 minutes to the beach. The signs last year for parking along Pelican Drive were "6pm". I get here this year and they have changed every single sign to now be "7pm" meaning it is now impossible to find any parking at all prior to that time once you get across the drawbridge. That 1 hour change means I won't be able to go to Wrightsville beach in the evening anymore.

Is anyone familiar with the other area beaches? From what I can tell, Carolina Beach - which I am not interested in, appears even more insane if the enforcement hours I found are correct. What about the other area beaches? Free parking anywhere anymore? I might have to buy a bike I guess.
If you park at the Park/Town hall area you get 2 hr free parking...so you could park there at 5 and be good.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:00 AM
ERH

1,141 posts, read 1,634,638 times
Dude, not to make light, but You. Live. At. The. Beach. The rest of us sad sacks have to schlepp the kids and all the gear 2 or
more hours just to hit the Wilmington city limit, and then go sit in the car for another 30-45 mins waiting to even set foot on the island.

All kidding aside, I'm with the poster above -- I don't mind paying to park, I just hate having to find a space. There oughta be an app for that.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 AM

HP91 - yeah, that's what I ended up doing but it took so long to walk out there and walk back I was at the actual beach for about 5 minutes and wow do my feet and knees hurt today.

ERH - I live in Raleigh. And if you can afford kids, no wonder you can afford parking. I can't afford anything. Pretty soon only rich people will have oxygen and drinking water the way things are going.

You see that shark attack up the coast a day or two ago? Know what you aren't supposed to do? Swim at dawn or dusk. Know how much negative publicity a shark attack on Wrightsville Beach would mean to the town? You better believe if I am dragged out of the water bleeding after a shark attack at dawn or dusk - because the town makes it impossible to go there at any other time with their parking fee schedule - that I will cost the town more than they could get from the fees or fines.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 AM

1,069 posts, read 982,390 times
So you can afford the gas to regularly drive from Raleigh to Wrightsville but that $2.50 once you get there just pushes it over the edge?

Old 06-04-2019, 01:37 PM

294 posts, read 60,091 times
Mrytle beach parking is a scam also. Many places require you to pay with your credit card and give your name etc tag etc just to park your car and you have to do it with your cell phone,,,,,scam I dont trust them with my credit card number but THEY ARE TOO CHEAP to have parking meters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina