Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 11,738 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to New Bern but I am concerned about the five varieties of venomous snakes. Are people in the community at risk? If so, only near the rivers/canals? Is if a frequent occurrence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 11,738 times
Can anyone tell me about the possibility of running into a snake in your yard in New Bern? I am concerned since there are 5 venomous ones in the region. Do they mostly stay in the woods or in the rivers/canals? We are considering a move from Vermont, but I would freak out if every day I had to make sure there were no snakes around... HELP ! I'm 77 and too old to run the 440.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,786 times
I've seen snakes in my yard and on the golf course. They hide in the bushes and under bird feeders. The water moccasins are the ones that scare me. They live in the many streams, ponds, etc. Some of them are huge! Just use common sense and don't leave your pets outside unattended.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:47 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,722,628 times
Have been here seven years, in Riverside Historic district and have seen 0.

The closer you are to woods, marsh, stream the more likely you are to see snakes.

Of the venomous snakes, I would say near, very near, zero chance of rattler or coral. If near water, you might see water moccasin, but most likely will be a water snake, many varieties and some are aggressive.

In North Carolina I would NEVER be surprised to see a copperhead anywhere.

To minimize snakes you pretty much need to forego feeding birds, or do so in pristine conditions. Bird food, knocked on ground, means rodents, and rodents, mean snakes ( thank God) or we would be over run

Next big rule, if you have veggies or flowers be very careful about sticking your hand in them before looking, twice.

Also bird houses are a buffet for snakes, not nesecerrily venomous ones but a black racer (black snake) will crawl in a bird house and gobble up babies in a nano second.

In summary, New Bern has 99 problems, but venomous snakes ain't one.
Hit me!

Old 06-08-2014, 05:45 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Of the venomous snakes, I would say near, very near, zero chance of rattler or coral.
Good advice about how to avoid snakes. Here in the similar climate in Sneads Ferry, a neighbor killed an Eastern Diamondback rattler in the backyard near water.

I'll repeat the suggestion not to leave pets unattended, as there are also other predators like eagles and alligators.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:22 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
It all depends on what part of New bern you live and how close to wooded and marshy areas you live. I have seen 4 snakes in my yard, all non venomous. I picked them up and carried them back to the woods where they came from. I stay out of the woods and never let my dogs loose.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:06 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,501,854 times
I deal with "Snakes" every day at work down Wall Street. I welcome the opportunity to deal with the critters.....

Old 06-16-2014, 06:50 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,099,400 times
In Greenville I've seen 3 snakes in 8 years and I visit a lot of properties every week. I've seen 2 water snakes and 1 garter snake. Water snakes will bite but they aren't venomous. The garter snake was a visitor in my garage. I just let him go about his business. My cat was pretty curious about it though.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:15 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,722,628 times
Just so you know, in NC the Eastern Diamond Back Rattlesnake and the Eastern Coral Snake are listed as Endangered

Both the Pygmy Rattlesnake and the Cane Brake (Timber) Rattlesnake are listed as Special Concern Species

http://www.ncwildlife.org/portals/0/...ed_species.pdf

Old 06-20-2015, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,364 times
What is the chance of stepping on snakes when swimming in Carolina lakes? How about swimming in the sound?
Thanks for any replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina