Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times

Advertisements

Group funds purchase of land for Surf City housing development

Supposedly single family and multi-family, but the total property is 195 acres...that's pretty high density. I'm guessing it will mostly be apartments and townhomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 04:06 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,366,655 times
Its a nice area but has some draw backs. One bridge in and out and areas of the beach has erosion problems. Some beach front houses have fallen into the ocean.

On the other hand Hampstead is growing. Topsoil in general is older and more laid back. The old swing bridge is being replaced. A new high rise bridge that does not have to open every hour on the hour is supposed to be finished by 2020.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:42 AM

98 posts, read 128,980 times
IMO not enough business there to support that amount of people/housing. Now if they think it's gonna be more military families like the newscaster says, then so be it. But I see more northerners trying to buy them up. Great local, but not enough jobs.
That being said, this is gonna que the start of paying to park at the beach access'. I'm guessing within 5 years.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:56 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Its a nice area but has some draw backs. One bridge in and out and areas of the beach has erosion problems. Some beach front houses have fallen into the ocean.

On the other hand Hampstead is growing. Topsoil in general is older and more laid back. The old swing bridge is being replaced. A new high rise bridge that does not have to open every hour on the hour is supposed to be finished by 2020.
I think the new high bridge might open later this year. I know it's way ahead of schedule.

I really like the area. We recently bought a very modest condo in North Topsail beach, where the erosion issue is worst.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:06 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
Group funds purchase of land for Surf City housing development

Supposedly single family and multi-family, but the total property is 195 acres...that's pretty high density. I'm guessing it will mostly be apartments and townhomes.
Not surprising. There is a 2,000 unit subdivision over in Hampstead. Surf City continues to grow on the mainland because of its in Pender Co schools, is commuting distance to Jacksonville, and, once the Hampstead bypass is finished, will be an easy commute to Wilmington as well. And it has beach access.

This is just the continuing growth of the Coast around the Wilmington region.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:28 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,366,655 times
In general the mid Atlantic coastal is building up. The east coast is littered with big cities from Boston to Miami with the exclusion of the mid Atlantic in North Carolina and to a lesser degree, South Carolina. The outer banks and shoals just were not favorable to shipping and economic growth.

Now …. for a lot of the same reasons … land was less expensive and the tourist industry is growing. Better access with interstates and airports as well as good hospitals make it a desirable place to move to. Land is not so cheap anymore but growth is not slowing down. With a little luck, this area will be a good investment for the next few generations.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:04 PM

77 posts, read 144,624 times
Very interesting. We just spent a week in SC (numbered street, non Canal) recently and absolutely loved it. So much so we’re returning for another 5 days soon while having a further look at the area for our retirement place. We’ve thought about buying a lot and building but tbh I’m overwhelmed by the idea of building along the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina