U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2018, 04:13 PM
 
880 posts, read 709,093 times
Reputation: 648

Advertisements

Impromptu trip. Since I'm out there, I might as well head to the coast for a day since I'll be in the Fayetteville area.

Which part of the North Carolina area would be most comparable to Hilton Head? I'm not as concerned with it being "upscale" as much as I just like the low-key nature (for my 80 year old parents).

Last edited by PerryMason614; 06-01-2018 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2018, 04:37 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Reputation: 5345
I've never been to HH, but I'd guess Figure Eight or Bald Head would be closest, although they are upscale (as is HH). Figure Eight is gated, and access is only available to those who own or rent property there, so a day trip isn't possible. Bald Head is accessible only via ferry, which costs $26 roundtrip.

Topsail Beach is pretty low key, but not at all upscale. Sunset Beach is low key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2018, 05:17 PM
 
880 posts, read 709,093 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I've never been to HH, but I'd guess Figure Eight or Bald Head would be closest, although they are upscale (as is HH). Figure Eight is gated, and access is only available to those who own or rent property there, so a day trip isn't possible. Bald Head is accessible only via ferry, which costs $26 roundtrip.

Topsail Beach is pretty low key, but not at all upscale. Sunset Beach is low key.
What I like about Hilton Head most is the long, wide beaches. I mostly enjoyed walking/riding a bike along the shore. Any place like that where they beaches aren't all chopped up? I've only been to Myrtle Beach once, but way too much commotion there for my tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2018, 05:30 PM
 
2,784 posts, read 7,330,796 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
What I like about Hilton Head most is the long, wide beaches. I mostly enjoyed walking/riding a bike along the shore. Any place like that where they beaches aren't all chopped up? I've only been to Myrtle Beach once, but way too much commotion there for my tastes.
Might consider Sunset Beach.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7E81&FORM=VIRE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2018, 06:37 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Reputation: 5345
I can't think of an NC beach that is "all chopped up". Oak Island/Caswell Beach is about 12 miles long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2018, 07:48 PM
 
2,784 posts, read 7,330,796 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I can't think of an NC beach that is "all chopped up". Oak Island/Caswell Beach is about 12 miles long.
Sunset beach is much smaller!
Prior to the '90's Sunset Beach (3 miles long) and Bird Island (1 1/2 miles long) were separated by an inlet, that inlet has been filled in (accretion) by storms. The 2 barrier islands are now connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2018, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,677 posts, read 11,296,076 times
Reputation: 8527
All beaches in NC are low key, especially compared to Myrtle Beach. We have nothing like that here. The Wilmington area beaches and south, especially in Brunswick County, are wide and firm. Sunset would be a good choice for 80 year olds and then go over to Calabash to eat seafood (or to Twin Lakes under the bridge).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2018, 09:57 AM
 
295 posts, read 237,231 times
Reputation: 372
Sunset Beach is very crowded in the summer - it's getting like I imagine Cony Island is, without most of the attractions CI has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2018, 08:22 AM
 
4,956 posts, read 2,197,701 times
Reputation: 7094
If you want low key …. try out Ocracoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2018, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,677 posts, read 11,296,076 times
Reputation: 8527
Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
Sunset Beach is very crowded in the summer - it's getting like I imagine Cony Island is, without most of the attractions CI has.
More than a slight exaggeration I think. It's certainly grown a lot compared to when I first started going to Sunset in the 1970s, but I think it will be quite awhile (i.e. never) before it approaches Coney Island standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top