U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 20,428 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a potential opportunity in Greenville. I am single in my mid/50s. My kids are grown. Is there anything to do there? Is it a better place for families and young people? I currently live in S. Florida. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 01:39 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,298,118 times
I went to college at ECU and lived in Greenville for 4 years. It's a fun place to live for college, but I think it would be boring to live there otherwise. If you're happy with living in a smaller town and are more of a homebody, Greenville might be a good fit.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:06 PM

1,069 posts, read 981,767 times
I’m surprised none of the Greenville fanboys have replied to this.

I’ve lived here my whole life. It’s a small city without any outstanding qualities. There are many other small cities just like it. We don’t have decent shopping but we have the things you need to get by day to day. The cost of housing and living is higher than other places 45-60 minutes away that are just as livable. If you’ll make enough money to compensate for that and aren’t happy where you are, sure, move here.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:46 AM

839 posts, read 1,038,686 times
I grew up in Greenville and moved to Raleigh when I grew up vowing to never return, only to return later in life. I quite enjoy it now.

The Greenville of today is not the Greenville of the 90's. It's really a city that is nearing 100,000 population and seems to be on the upswing. The Uptown area is starting to come around which is exciting. It's really a place that is what you make of it. If you're use to big city living and enjoy that...Greenville is not for you. If you're more into a slower lifestyle then it might be.

"What is there to do" - really depends on what you are into. There are a lot of outdoor activities in the summer time & even fall when ECU football is in full swing is is actually fielding a decent team. Winter, honestly is when it gets harder to find things to do..that's usually when we'll visit Raleigh for a day.

It's 1 hour from Raleigh & 1.25 hours from the beach if you're interested in those things.

With that said - I lived in Raleigh for 10 years & got tired of the traffic and bored with it, so really each city is what you make of it and the friendships you develop within the community add to that.

Greenville is not for everyone, but for those that it is, they love it. It's worth a visit to see if it's somewhere you'd like to be.

Side Note: Those that get on site like this & bad mouth Greenville or really, any other town need to move. Seriously, life is way to short to be somewhere that dosen't make you happy.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:30 AM

156 posts, read 125,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I grew up in Greenville and moved to Raleigh when I grew up vowing to never return, only to return later in life. I quite enjoy it now.

It's 1 hour from Raleigh & 1.25 hours from the beach if you're interested in those things.

You must drive very fast.

Greenville to Raleigh is 84 miles (approximately one and one half hour per Google maps). Greenville to Atlantic Beach (the closest beach, I believe) is 81 miles and Google estimates 1 hour 45 minutes. Not nitpicking, just wanted to give the OP an idea of actual estimated drive to those locales.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:50 AM

I set the cruise on 77mph between Greenville and Raleigh. City limit to city limit is is not much more than an hour. Getting to where you want in the Triangle once you get there is what takes time.

I see some doctors at Duke in the medical district in Durham and without traffic is is 1h 45m from my door to theirs.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Side Note: Those that get on site like this & bad mouth Greenville or really, any other town need to move. Seriously, life is way to short to be somewhere that dosen't make you happy.
I wanted to let this go but I can't. An honest opinion does not equal badmouthing. I would rather live in Greenville than, say, Kinston, but as someone without children nor any plans to have children I cannot see the value in purchasing a home in Greenville. The cost of everything is higher for no real good reason. You can get the same house 25% less in Wilson and you're closer to the Triangle at that. Wilson has the same restaurants and stores that we have.

So for a single female moving here... I told her the truth. Unless she's getting a great job or spectacular living arrangements, in my opinion it's not the best fit.

Life IS too short to be somewhere that doesn't make you happy. Unfortunately our country ties good healthcare to a good job and those are hard to come by. When you've been somewhere over a decade and have great job security packing up and leaving is not easy to do.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 PM

839 posts, read 1,038,686 times
to each their own sir

Old 06-12-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
to each their own sir

tried to rep you but apparently I have done so too many times

Old 06-12-2018, 12:43 PM

2,399 posts, read 3,354,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I wanted to let this go but I can't. An honest opinion does not equal badmouthing. I would rather live in Greenville than, say, Kinston, but as someone without children nor any plans to have children I cannot see the value in purchasing a home in Greenville. The cost of everything is higher for no real good reason. You can get the same house 25% less in Wilson and you're closer to the Triangle at that. Wilson has the same restaurants and stores that we have.

So for a single female moving here... I told her the truth. Unless she's getting a great job or spectacular living arrangements, in my opinion it's not the best fit.

Life IS too short to be somewhere that doesn't make you happy. Unfortunately our country ties good healthcare to a good job and those are hard to come by. When you've been somewhere over a decade and have great job security packing up and leaving is not easy to do.
I'm not going to go into specifics, because honestly the list would be too long...but this statement is not accurate. Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or