U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-08-2018, 07:31 PM
 
327 posts, read 611,067 times
Reputation: 170

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. We are newer homeowners in the sunset beach area and were just wondering if anyone knows of any 4th of July events in or around sunset beach (say from ocean isle, calabash, little river, shalotte etc...) Looking for any local night time fireworks. Wilmington and Southport are a little to far for us and we don't really feel like dealing with all the traffic those bigger events bring.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2018, 08:18 PM
 
2,784 posts, read 7,338,065 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
Hi Everyone. We are newer homeowners in the sunset beach area and were just wondering if anyone knows of any 4th of July events in or around sunset beach (say from ocean isle, calabash, little river, shalotte etc...) Looking for any local night time fireworks. Wilmington and Southport are a little to far for us and we don't really feel like dealing with all the traffic those bigger events bring.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Here is a calendar of events for Sunset Beach

Search Results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2018, 04:39 AM
 
Location: Southport, NC
3,803 posts, read 9,733,753 times
Reputation: 4340
Southport has a huge 4th of July celebration. Largest 4th of July parade in NC, fireworks over the water. This will be our first year there to experience it first hand. Here's a link.

Southport NC-Home of the North Carolina 4th of July Festival
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2018, 12:45 PM
 
4,958 posts, read 2,204,220 times
Reputation: 7103
Southport is THE official 4th of July celebration town in North Carolina.

Here is my unofficial "insiders" guide.

Go downtown early. About 8am, maybe a little earlier. Howe will not be blocked off yet for the parade.


Go down Howe Street almost to the water front. Turn right and go two blocks over to North Caswell Street. Turn right again so you are pointed going out of town and park on the edge of the road being mindful of course of peoples driveways etc. Most any were will do.


Get your fold up chairs out of the back. You did bring the chairs, right?


Walk the two blocks back to Howe street. There will most likely be lots of chairs set up already. Find you a good spot in the shade if you can. Set up the chairs and leave them. They will be fine.


Now walk about two blocks the other side of Howe on Nash street to Trinity Methodist Church. They have a $5 pancake/sausage/juice/coffee breakfast.


Now that you are full you can walk along the water front, viewing the sites, the homes decorated for the 4th and up Howe to Franklin Square to see all the various vendors selling all kinds of crafts.


By now it will be getting close to 10am and time for the parade to start. Get in your seats and enjoy. It will last about an hour and the Governor may even make an appearance. There will be several bands, floats, marching units, fire and rescue squads, classic cars and more. Its quiet fun.


If you are ready to make a quick exit from town after the parade, go to your car, go the direction you are facing headed out town up Caswell Street. Most everyone else will be trying to get out on Howe. Go up Caswell to 9th street, turn right and in 2 block you will come to a stop light at Howe, turn left and you are nearly out of town and ready to go where ever you like.


Have some lunch some where, maybe go over to Oak Island and enjoy the beach.


If you want to see the fireworks, you can go back into town for dinner using the same entrance and exit strategy. Down town water front is the closest spot to see the fire works. It is also worth while to see them from the east end of Oak island as far as you can get in Caswell near the light house. From there you can watch the fire works in Southport over the water from the beach. If the conditions are right you may get a double show in the sky and reflected in water.


Good luck and happy 4th!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2018, 05:48 PM
 
327 posts, read 611,067 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Southport is THE official 4th of July celebration town in North Carolina.

Here is my unofficial "insiders" guide.

Go downtown early. About 8am, maybe a little earlier. Howe will not be blocked off yet for the parade.


Go down Howe Street almost to the water front. Turn right and go two blocks over to North Caswell Street. Turn right again so you are pointed going out of town and park on the edge of the road being mindful of course of peoples driveways etc. Most any were will do.


Get your fold up chairs out of the back. You did bring the chairs, right?


Walk the two blocks back to Howe street. There will most likely be lots of chairs set up already. Find you a good spot in the shade if you can. Set up the chairs and leave them. They will be fine.


Now walk about two blocks the other side of Howe on Nash street to Trinity Methodist Church. They have a $5 pancake/sausage/juice/coffee breakfast.


Now that you are full you can walk along the water front, viewing the sites, the homes decorated for the 4th and up Howe to Franklin Square to see all the various vendors selling all kinds of crafts.


By now it will be getting close to 10am and time for the parade to start. Get in your seats and enjoy. It will last about an hour and the Governor may even make an appearance. There will be several bands, floats, marching units, fire and rescue squads, classic cars and more. Its quiet fun.


If you are ready to make a quick exit from town after the parade, go to your car, go the direction you are facing headed out town up Caswell Street. Most everyone else will be trying to get out on Howe. Go up Caswell to 9th street, turn right and in 2 block you will come to a stop light at Howe, turn left and you are nearly out of town and ready to go where ever you like.


Have some lunch some where, maybe go over to Oak Island and enjoy the beach.


If you want to see the fireworks, you can go back into town for dinner using the same entrance and exit strategy. Down town water front is the closest spot to see the fire works. It is also worth while to see them from the east end of Oak island as far as you can get in Caswell near the light house. From there you can watch the fire works in Southport over the water from the beach. If the conditions are right you may get a double show in the sky and reflected in water.


Good luck and happy 4th!
Thank you for the depth of this post. You may have changed my mind about not going because of the crowds with this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Carolina Shores NC
6,708 posts, read 8,067,778 times
Reputation: 5053
Calabash is having fireworks on the waterfront on the 4th. Events start around 5:00 pm. Fireworks start right around dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 07:20 PM
 
2,784 posts, read 7,338,065 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Calabash is having fireworks on the waterfront on the 4th. Events start around 5:00 pm. Fireworks start right around dark.
Where is a good place to park the car and ourselves?
Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2018, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Carolina Shores NC
6,708 posts, read 8,067,778 times
Reputation: 5053
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Where is a good place to park the car and ourselves?
Thank you!!!
I didn't go last year, my first year living here, but people were parking around the fire station and walking down River Rd. towards the waterfront around 7:30 as we were driving to Cherry Grove in North Myrtle. I don't know if there was parking available on River Rd. closer to the waterfront earlier or not. I'll try to get a little more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top