U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2018, 02:30 PM
 
50 posts, read 28,793 times
Reputation: 72

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm not sure why you find the lack of european grocery stores surprising.
Maybe because I'm new to the area... like I said..? You know, sometimes in life, people don't grow up the same way as you did

I don't know why people get self-righteous when someone asks a question about something that they admit they don't know about. Good grief.

World Market doesn't have what I'm looking for, like juices and certain kinds of pickles, yogurt, butter, deli meats and cheeses or imported bath products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2018, 02:34 PM
 
50 posts, read 28,793 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
A bit of a ride but nice place, good food / grocery items .... https://www.pulaski-deli.com/
I actually drove over there a few weeks ago. It was reminiscent of what I was able to find back in Chicago, but their shelves were pretty bare. They had VERY limited selection of imported groceries, and everything was astronomically expensive. I get that it's hard for a small business for to bring in certain things, but they were asking way too much. They didn't even have blackcurrent syrup, which is everywhere in European shops.

Their sausages in the deli were really good, though.

I guess I'll just have to stock up on certain things when I visit Chicago now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2018, 03:10 PM
 
6,235 posts, read 3,704,200 times
Reputation: 4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahd0w View Post
Maybe because I'm new to the area... like I said..? You know, sometimes in life, people don't grow up the same way as you did

I don't know why people get self-righteous when someone asks a question about something that they admit they don't know about. Good grief.

World Market doesn't have what I'm looking for, like juices and certain kinds of pickles, yogurt, butter, deli meats and cheeses or imported bath products.
Wow, you're welcome. Nothing self righteous here, just genuinely don't understand why anyone would think a small NC city would have an eastern european grocery store. I'd certainly never move to Peoria and expect to find country ham and boiled peanuts.

So sorry I was unable to provide useful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2018, 01:17 PM
 
662 posts, read 1,358,574 times
Reputation: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Wow, you're welcome. Nothing self righteous here, just genuinely don't understand why anyone would think a small NC city would have an eastern european grocery store. I'd certainly never move to Peoria and expect to find country ham and boiled peanuts.

So sorry I was unable to provide useful information.

But maybe you're in Peoria and you get a real hankering for some. There's nothing lost and everything to be gained by asking if anyone in Peoria sells country ham and boiled peanuts. Maybe someone lives there who also had a hankering at some point, or grew up in the South, makes their own or has a regular source people haven't heard of. Maybe not. In which case maybe the person can help bring some to the area themselves! But what does it hurt to ask? I say absolutely nothing. I love these kinds of threads because you never know when you'll discover something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2018, 01:22 PM
 
6,235 posts, read 3,704,200 times
Reputation: 4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
But maybe you're in Peoria and you get a real hankering for some. There's nothing lost and everything to be gained by asking if anyone in Peoria sells country ham and boiled peanuts. Maybe someone lives there who also had a hankering at some point, or grew up in the South, makes their own or has a regular source people haven't heard of. Maybe not. In which case maybe the person can help bring some to the area themselves! But what does it hurt to ask? I say absolutely nothing. I love these kinds of threads because you never know when you'll discover something new.
Um, ok. Did I say there was something wrong with the post? No I didn't. And I did provide a suggestion to try and help the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2018, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,184 posts, read 10,644,257 times
Reputation: 8086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I've heard that. The rumor is because NC, especially the western part, looked like home.
The mountains may resemble Scotland a little bit (not nearly as many trees in Scotland as we have in NC and Scotland's terrain is much more rugged in places), but it was mostly Scotch-Irish, aka Ulster Scots, (rather than Highland or Lowland Scots) who came down the great wagon road from Pennsylvania who settled in the mountains.

Highland and Lowland Scots settled in great numbers in the Sandhills and Cape Fear region. It was rich farming territory and once one group came more followed. They even spoke Gaelic. Highland Scots - North Carolina History Project
Flora McDonald is a heroine in Scottish history. She spirited away Bonnie Prince Charlie during the second Jacobite Rebellion in 1745, and settled for a time in Montgomery County before making her way back to Scotland.

AND, I'm sure you can find some Polish foods in a more urban area of NC like Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Surf City, NC
360 posts, read 536,394 times
Reputation: 935
There were many Moravians who settled around Winston-Salem. Wachovia, Bethelbara, Bethania and Salem were their settlements. Old Salem showcases their culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 06:16 PM
 
Location: planet earth
3,868 posts, read 1,391,208 times
Reputation: 8600
Order online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 02:37 PM
NDL
 
Location: Gaston County
2,890 posts, read 3,414,014 times
Reputation: 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Um, ok. Did I say there was something wrong with the post? No I didn't. And I did provide a suggestion to try and help the OP.
You didn't say anything wrong, nor was the tone of your post inappropriate.

Unfortunately, message boards don't convey intent the way the human voice can (tone and inflection).

***

OP: Your best bet is to look in the Raleigh area. I do understand your frustration; I am of Italian descent, and I can't figure out why Raleigh's food offerings trump Charlotte's, in spite of the greater influx of NY/NJ'ers coming into Charlotte (compared to Raleigh).

If and when you find a store, kindly let the rest of us know.

It's been awhile since I have had kielbasa and pirogies .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 02:43 PM
NDL
 
Location: Gaston County
2,890 posts, read 3,414,014 times
Reputation: 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahd0w View Post
If anyone knows of any European shops nearby I'd love to hear about them!! And please tell your European friends to move here and set up shop :P
This place looks to be right up your alley:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/polonez-pol...5?osq=kielbasa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top