U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 12:53 PM

447 posts, read 679,504 times

Advertisements

It'll take you a couple of hours to get here, but Halgo will definitely give you what you're looking for. Make it a day trip and stock up when you go there.

Polish Deli Durham Raleigh Cary RTP
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 07:43 PM

140 posts, read 168,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahd0w View Post
I recently moved to Wilmington from Chicago. I love it here so much, but I am dying for some specific Polish and Eastern European groceries. There are Polish shops and delis everywhere in Chicago with amazing hot lunches, plus plenty of imported goods.

Why aren't there more European people in this area? I am really surprised to see that there are almost no immigrants from the Germanic or Slavic areas of Europe. It's been very difficult tracking things down like Acacia honey or rosehip jam. I know Publix had a few things in their international section, but it's not even the tip of the iceberg compared to a good Polish shop.

If anyone knows of any European shops nearby I'd love to hear about them!! And please tell your European friends to move here and set up shop :P

Did you ever find a Polish food store?

Last edited by Mr. Purple 2; 09-24-2018 at 08:01 PM..

Old 09-25-2018, 09:29 AM

14,761 posts, read 4,620,845 times
Try and Aldi or Lidl

Old 10-03-2018, 10:41 AM

50 posts, read 28,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
Did you ever find a Polish food store?
Not around here unfortunately During the hurricane I evacuated to Atlanta and there were several. I stocked up on a bunch of goodies when I was there so that should last me a while.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:38 PM

56,107 posts, read 39,511,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Wow, you're welcome. Nothing self righteous here, just genuinely don't understand why anyone would think a small NC city would have an eastern european grocery store. I'd certainly never move to Peoria and expect to find country ham and boiled peanuts.

So sorry I was unable to provide useful information.

We actually had a pretty good one for a while when Tatiana's was open on S Kerr, all their meats came from NYC or Chicago and were the real deal. The owners had told me they thought Census figure showed enough Eastern Europeans in the area to support their business, apparently not. I do miss them.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:49 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,704,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We actually had a pretty good one for a while when Tatiana's was open on S Kerr, all their meats came from NYC or Chicago and were the real deal. The owners had told me they thought Census figure showed enough Eastern Europeans in the area to support their business, apparently not. I do miss them.
Thats great, but to expect one to exist is over the top.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:56 PM

50 posts, read 28,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I met a Russian woman a few months ago who told me about this place. She said that it ended up closing because it seemed like the shop owner was selling things that were out of date. She said a lot of people stopped shopping there because her deli meats weren't fresh. I worked for a small business who had this same problem and they ended up closing down. Trying to hide the expiration dates on things and sell it beyond when it should be. People definitely catch on to that kind of stuff and word spreads. It's pretty sad. Everyone loses.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:01 PM

80 posts, read 26,283 times
For Asian try Saigon market. They have stuff there from all over Asia and the Middle East. There are also a number of small Hispanic stores off of Kerr avenue if you look.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidinMyrtle View Post
For Asian try Saigon market. They have stuff there from all over Asia and the Middle East. There are also a number of small Hispanic stores off of Kerr avenue if you look.

I love Saigon Market, even though I probably wouldn't know what to do with an awful lot of what they sell. But if I ever need something like palm vinegar or fertile duck eggs, I know just where to go.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahd0w View Post
I met a Russian woman a few months ago who told me about this place. She said that it ended up closing because it seemed like the shop owner was selling things that were out of date. She said a lot of people stopped shopping there because her deli meats weren't fresh. I worked for a small business who had this same problem and they ended up closing down. Trying to hide the expiration dates on things and sell it beyond when it should be. People definitely catch on to that kind of stuff and word spreads. It's pretty sad. Everyone loses.

I don't know, my most common purchase there was a sausage known as Kabanosy, it has a noticeably different texture when fresh than after aging a while and it always seemed on the fresh side when I bought it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or