Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 01:58 PM

7 posts, read 7,694 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning a move this summer to the Wilmington area.
1.We want to be close to Wilmington city center maybe around 20-30 minutes
1.Close to the beach 15-20 minutes that don’t have heavy traffic or tourists?
2. Good school district
3. Good apartment complex (will be renting for a year until we buy)
4. Low crime rate

I am from Long Island so I’d need to be near a beach lol

The areas I’ve researched so far:
1. Leland
2. Myrtle Grove

Is there anything that’s coastal but close to the city and reasonably priced?

I know the coastal areas get flooded with tourists but I thought that was mostly the outer banks.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 02:18 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,304,860 times
All NC beaches get flooded with tourists, and the 2 closest beaches to Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach, are extremely crowded. Parking at either one for a day trip during the summer is almost impossible, unless you come very early or very late in the day.

Traffic in Wilmington can be heavy, especially during summer tourist season.

What is your definition of reasonably priced rent?

Leland isn't a bad idea. Its close to downtown Wilmington and about 30 to 45 minutes from Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, and more importantly, Oak Island. Oak Island is much more conducive to day trips, as its not as mobbed as Wrightsville and Carolina, and has a better parking situation. The schools in Brunswick County aren't much to write home home about, although many of the New Hanover County schools aren't either.

I don't think you're going to find exactly what you're looking for, so you'll have to decide where you're willing to compromise.

What is your job situation?

Old 02-07-2019, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 7,694 times
Thanks for you reply

I work remotely so I’m pretty flexible and my boyfriend is either going to transfer if there is an opportunity or he will find new employment. He is a technician with a broad background. We originally wanted Myrtle beach but nixed that right away.

Are there any areas that are close to the coast that have a population? Lol we are very open
We just don’t know too much about the area. Definitely want a city and a beach. I don’t want to be way out in the boonies either.

Leland seemed to be reasonable and we were going to check that out when we go down.

Would you recommend goingmore north up the coast?

Old 02-07-2019, 08:12 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,304,860 times
What is your housing budget?

In Wilmington, i really like the area south of Oleander Drive, east of College Road and north of Piner Road (just north of the Myrtle Grove area). Nice, safe area with good schools. I don't think there are any apartment complexes in that area, but there may be a house of condo to rent, depending on your budget

North of Wilmington is Hampstead, which is 20 to 30 minutes from Surf City/Topsail Beach and Wilmington itself. You might want to check it out.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:36 AM

13,325 posts, read 26,808,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishees View Post
Are there any areas that are close to the coast that have a population? Lol we are very open
We just don’t know too much about the area. Definitely want a city and a beach. I don’t want to be way out in the boonies either.
How big a city is the question? Wilmington is the largest city on the NC coast and is your best prospect for technical jobs. It is about 120K people.

If you wanted a larger burb, you might look at the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, or Charleston, SC.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:59 AM

13,325 posts, read 26,808,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishees View Post
I know the coastal areas get flooded with tourists but I thought that was mostly the outer banks.
No, the whole coast is crowded with tourists in the summer. It is the worst on Saturday, the weekly rental change-over day. The locals know not to go out on Saturday between 11AM and 4PM. You can deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina