U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 03:18 PM
LLN LLN started this thread

4,912 posts, read 8,363,086 times

Advertisements

Was down on Oak Island last week for the first time in years. I have Verizon Wireless, and the Verizon coverage map has it covered. Completely.

Cell reception, especially data, was awful. Could barely get anywhere with more than 2 bars, and data was so bad, my IPHONE hotspot would not support another device.

I called Verizon today and was told poor coverage on an island is common, with tourist, volume increases, and since there are a limited way on and off for signals, backups are normal. This kind of makes sense from a technical perspective, but not from a business one. My suggestion was to build more towers.

Curious about other's experience with Verizon on Oak Island.

I may be some sort of EM anomaly. When I worked in Charlotte my boss and I had the same phone, set up and plan. Identical. He could talk on the elevator ride going up, and I would lose signal immediately, so it may be just me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 04:13 PM

3,148 posts, read 6,958,182 times
I frequent OKI and use Verizon via Total Wireless and have never had an issue with coverage.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:14 PM

5,681 posts, read 3,247,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I frequent OKI and use Verizon via Total Wireless and have never had an issue with coverage.
Same here. I live in Southport and spend a lot of time on OKI and never have any issues.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:46 PM
LLN LLN started this thread

4,912 posts, read 8,363,086 times
Thanks. I’m not a Total Wireless subscriber, and don’t understand why it would be different. I don’t remember such shoddy service in the past. Think I will keep digging.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Thanks. Iím not a Total Wireless subscriber, and donít understand why it would be different. I donít remember such shoddy service in the past. Think I will keep digging.
Try turning your phone off, and then back on. Sometimes that helps when you go to a different area. Sometimes it helps at home, too, lol.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:46 AM

141 posts, read 111,552 times
I think there's a capacity problem with the cell towers themselves.

For a number of years, the DMV has sent a "mobile unit -- an RV outfitted with the gear needed to do the testing, photography, and printing of drivers licenses-- to Southport for one week per month.. This spring, though, they said the service would be suspended during the summer months. Some, or all, of the services the mobile unit provides require cellular connectivity and they found that it was highly unreliable in Southport during the summer.

It seems that Verizon hasn't added capacity fast enough to address the growth of year-round population plus vistors in our area.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:29 PM

945 posts, read 829,613 times
Verizon hasn't kept up in a lot of places in North Carolina. I live in Greenville and frequent Boone and it is so bad in both places that I finally switched to AT&T.

The signal is there but the data network is so congested it is difficult to do anything.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikjim View Post
I think there's a capacity problem with the cell towers themselves.

For a number of years, the DMV has sent a "mobile unit -- an RV outfitted with the gear needed to do the testing, photography, and printing of drivers licenses-- to Southport for one week per month.. This spring, though, they said the service would be suspended during the summer months. Some, or all, of the services the mobile unit provides require cellular connectivity and they found that it was highly unreliable in Southport during the summer.

It seems that Verizon hasn't added capacity fast enough to address the growth of year-round population plus vistors in our area.
Downtown Southport has a weak Verizon signal. I've found that once you get out of downtown, it improves dramatically.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:32 AM

9 posts, read 4,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Verizon hasn't kept up in a lot of places in North Carolina. I live in Greenville and frequent Boone and it is so bad in both places that I finally switched to AT&T.

The signal is there but the data network is so congested it is difficult to do anything.

I have Consumer Cellular, which uses AT&T towers and have strong coverage throughout OKI and Southport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina