U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 PM

467 posts, read 1,693,005 times

Advertisements

Hey, all,
I'm a college student, but a few years down the road I plan to move to the Wilmington area. Eventually I really want to open a retail store, selling home accessories, stationary, gifts, etc, and also recovered furniture and repurposed junk (I want to hire a team of young people who basically spend their day being artists, making, like, a stool out of a garbage can, you know that kind of thing). My style is Jonathan Adler meets beach, kitsch, shabby chic, etc. Ok, maybe that's not your thing, but please don't judge that, just the question. Where do you think a store like that might go over the best? In Wilmington itself, or in a coastal town?

Second part. At first I plan to rent, and I really want to live on the beach. Half mile or less. I also have a dog (and I plan to adopt another after I move) and I read about the dog rules on the beaches, and I was sad to see that Carolina Beach only allows dogs for a mere 4 months, while Kure Beach and others allow them except during high season, and some allow them year round leashed. So that has to be part of the consideration, that if I live so close to the beach, I want to be able to take my dog there whenever I want, but I'll put up with not being able to during high season at best. Also maybe someone could tell me about how well these rules are enforced.

Obviously I plan to come down there and check out the areas I like myself, but reccomendations are appreciated! I've researched all over from North Topsail Beach, Surf City, Topsail Beach, Carolina/Kure/Wimington/Wrightsville Beaches, Oak Island, Ocean Isle, etc. All of them seem to have different commute times to Wilmington, Pleasure Island seeming to be closest. That would matter if I worked in Wilmington or if my store were there, but otherwise I would be fine commuting from somewhere like Oak Island, which I really like.

Money isn't so much of an issue. I'd like to rent a house or a nice dog friendly apartment for $600-1200. I currently live in Manhattan (from Massachusetts originally), so don't mention price or tourists to me, neither are much of an object comparatively! Haha.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 04:35 PM

83 posts, read 332,954 times
I think it will go over like a steamer in a punch bowl. There is little appreciation for the arts and culture here. Asheville would appreciate something like that. Lots of "artists" there and living expenses are the same.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,354,022 times
I agree somewhat with fortysixandtwo. Asheville is a much better suit for you, however, if you really want to be on the coast, try Savannah. I know they at least have an art college there. Wilmington is much smaller than Savannah. I am not saying it couldn't be successful in this town, I just think that it might be more successful in a larger or more artsy town.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 PM

890 posts, read 3,966,982 times
Agree with the above. Also think Charleston, SC or St. Augustine, FL - more so St. Augustine, lots of tourists year round and it has that funky artsy type vibe going on like Asheville.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 PM

How about Raleigh/Triangle area?

Old 04-01-2008, 05:52 AM

890 posts, read 3,966,982 times
I thought you wanted the beach?

Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 AM

18 posts, read 93,137 times
Despite the haters,
There is plenty of appreciation for arts and culture here...just dig below the surface a bit. Try downtown or CB

Old 04-01-2008, 08:04 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,354,022 times
perhaps the raleigh area. lots of colleges there and a ton of people. it is very spread out. you might have to put a thread up in that area to find out if there is an artsy area in the triangle. I personally think that the triangle is a bit boring.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Hey, wondering, since I have my own thread - what happens at the beach areas during hurricane season? I've always lived at least 10-30 miles inland, and that was in MA. How often do people get evacuated, and how bad is it when they don't evacuate you? Does being 2nd row to the beach versus a couple more blocks in make a difference? Thanks.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 AM

40 posts, read 203,541 times
If you are looking for a smaller cool beach town with potential, Wilmington is great! My husband and I considered Asheville before our move here but decided the beach was too important since we want to surf. We are both designers/artists and just moved from South Beach via Manhattan. We are thrilled to have the space we need to work rather than being stuffed into a 400sq. ft. apt. in the city.

1000 bucks here will get you a very nice apartment, large 2/2 townhouse or even a decent house within minutes of the beach. To live on the beach is higher. Wilmington is very dog friendly and several restaurants allow dogs outside. The beach is seasonal for dogs but there are plenty of places to take them.

We've found some cool little stores that sell retro furniture, antiques and thrift type stuff. I think your business idea would fit in just fine, provided you have a plan. I've read that there are also tax incentives for new business owners that want to open up downtown here. There are a few clothing stores that resemble Brooklyn type stuff, such as Planet, 008 and edge of urge dot com

Here's a couple links that might help Creative Wilmington - Visual Arts, Literary Arts, Film, Theater, Dance and Music in Wilmington, NC

Downtown Business Alliance

People are going to tell you the traffic sucks, there's too many northerners here, etc. etc. If your coming from Manhattan, I doubt you will find it to be an issue.

Best thing is to visit and see for yourself. So far the people here have been friendly, the restaurants are great and the weather rocks!

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina