Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 06:15 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahd0w View Post
I know it's going to sound annoying to you, but I do not shop at Walmart. I hate Walmart as a company. Their ethics and employee treatment are terrible.
It doesn't annoy me at all. Its your choice to pay more at companies you like. Its just silly to complain about choosing to do so. And Publix and Walmart aren't the only 2 options.

Last edited by BC1960; 09-23-2018 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 06:19 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

So I moved to Wilmington back in April and I love it here. There have been some trade-offs as far as costs of living goes (gas is much cheaper here than in the Midwest, where I moved from, but I pay a little more for internet) etc. However, the main issue I have found is that grocery store food is SO expensive compared to the Chicago suburbs and I can't figure out why.
For example, the cheapest I can find a package of chicken thighs is about $4/lb at Publix. In Chicago, you can go to Caputo's and get a huge package of chicken for $0.99/lb. It blows my mind to see a package of 4 chicken thighs for $7-$10 dollars, when I could get the same thing back in the midwest for $3 or so.
Fruits and vegetables are insanely overpriced here. $5 for a package of 3 bell peppers sometimes?? Not even organic! I don't understand where these prices are coming from.
Is it just because Wilmington is far away from other large cities?

I really like it here but I am having a hard time justifying spending $60+ dollars every time I go to the grocery store just to buy the basic necessities for eating once a week, when I could spend half of that and get fresher/better options in Chicago.

Any thoughts?
Paying tax on food in Wilmington also don’t forget

Old 09-24-2018, 08:55 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Obvious note...that is not specific to Wilmington, that's North Carolina tax.

But it is true that food costs more in Wilmington during the summer...as it does anywhere along the NC Coast.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:10 AM

61 posts, read 68,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Wilmington's food prices go up in the summer because of the tourist season. They go back down in the winter. You havent experienced the cheaper season. Works that way for gas too. And hotel rooms.

I find certain things in certain places. I like the chicken breasts behind the counter in Harris Teeter because they are consistently $1.99 lb. Some places are better for beer/wine, some better for bread, whatever...I try to move around the different stores and get their specific deals.
Thanks for the info! I am hoping for the best for my first winter here. I guess if the prices go down everywhere, it may even out. I already think the gas here is dirt cheap, so if they lower it even further that'll be impressive.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
Seriously, go try Piggly Wiggly in Leland. Check out the sales paper. Thighs on sale for $.99 a pound right now. Go buy a bunch and throw them in the freezer.

Piggly Wiggly
It's a bit of a hike, but that may be worthwhile for me to take a trip out there once a week. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out!

Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
It's a bit of a hike, but that may be worthwhile for me to take a trip out there once a week. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out!
I hope their ethics and employee treatment is up to your standards!

Old 09-24-2018, 03:58 PM

58 posts, read 135,559 times
Quote:
Yes, but I doubt I'd save enough money to make up for the annual fee. I'm just here with my husband. We are not planning on having kids. Also, it's a 30 minute drive from us.
hereif you dont save enough to cover the mermbership fee they rebate it to you at years end

Old 09-24-2018, 06:36 PM

300 posts, read 475,866 times
Quote:
I know it's going to sound annoying to you, but I do not shop at Walmart. I hate Walmart as a company. Their ethics and employee treatment are terrible.

I hear you, that is why I never use Amazon for the same reason.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
I'm used to paying tax on food already.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansd View Post
hereif you dont save enough to cover the mermbership fee they rebate it to you at years end
Really?? I never knew this. I'm going to have to look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina