U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 632 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I知 a 22 year old college student planning to move to NC for grad school at UNCW. I know Wilmington is very busy and city-like and I知 from a veryyyy small town that has more cows than people, i grew up on a farm, and live where everyone knows everyone. I want to live someplace that is similar to my hometown since I値l be moving so far away from family and am hoping to get some suggestions on towns to look into that are small and rural but still driving distance from UNCW. My boyfriend and i are planning on buying a house and we both just really want to be somewhere that feels like home and not so busy/city-like. So suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 06:18 AM

6,030 posts, read 3,515,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralSouthernGirl View Post
Hi all! I知 a 22 year old college student planning to move to NC for grad school at UNCW. I know Wilmington is very busy and city-like and I知 from a veryyyy small town that has more cows than people, i grew up on a farm, and live where everyone knows everyone. I want to live someplace that is similar to my hometown since I値l be moving so far away from family and am hoping to get some suggestions on towns to look into that are small and rural but still driving distance from UNCW. My boyfriend and i are planning on buying a house and we both just really want to be somewhere that feels like home and not so busy/city-like. So suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
What is your definition of "driving distance"? Do you want to actually be in a town, or just out in the country? Whats your price range to buy a house?

Old 12-19-2018, 06:48 AM

215 posts, read 345,836 times
Winnabow is a community that a lot of people seem to enjoy. It's not technically a town, but a census designated place. It's about 20 minute drive to Wilmington. Lots of nice houses, horse pastures, and livestock out that way. Also Castle Hayne, Bolivia, and Burgaw may meet your criteria. Bolivia and Burgaw are about a 30 min drive from Wilmington give or take....

Old 12-19-2018, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 632 times
Thank you!! I’ll definitely have to check those places out. I want to be no more than an hour away from UNCW and I’d like to live kind of just out in the country but I’m not sure if there’s any areas close enough to Wilmington like that so we wouldn’t mind a small town to live in for a few years! Also our price range is 100-150k, just something small for the two of us and most likely a fixer upper that we could make nice.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:59 AM

An hour includes lots of places, including the good suggestions offered by Vorpal. Winnabow and Bolivia are in Brunswick County. Castle Hayne in in northern New Hanover County (same County as Wilmington) and Burgaw is in Pender County. I would recommend Castle Hayne, Burgaw and Rocky Point as the areas to look at first, as the commute to UNC-W would be quicker than easier than coming in from Brunswick County.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:16 PM

I should add that Winnabow, Castle Hayne and Rocky Point are not actual towns, but just communities or areas. Burgaw is an actual small town, and Bolivia is a tiny town.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:43 PM

10,100 posts, read 10,490,921 times
I don't think Wilmington is "very busy and city-like". It's more like an extra big small town. Certainly got more in common with Podunk USA than New York or Los Angeles! You might give it a try and save yourself some commute time. Have you been to visit? I would be concerned that the commute in may be icky. Maybe check it on Google Maps at the time of day you imagine you might be commuting when students get back from winter break. Where do you live now? Maybe we can make some comparisons for you.

I would plan to rent rather than buy, too. Buying seems like an iffy idea unless you are sure you want to settle down there for the long haul. There are a lot of considerations like flood insurance and getting a property that can withstand hurricane force winds.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:06 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,004,702 times
Quote:
Just go across the bridge on Hwy 74. Try Navassa, Sandy Creek, Delco, etc. Brunswick County is booming (Leland) towards Myrtle Beach on Hwy 17 so that might now work. Traveling further down 17 would work but you'll need to deal with the traffic to get to/from UNCW. That's why I suggest traveling down 74 (Sandy Creek area)....God's country and better flow of traffic to get to Wilmington although you'll need to travel through the city to get to UNCW.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:50 AM

14 posts, read 16,118 times
Quote:
I live in Southport and if you have an 8am class, the ride to UNCW on S College Rd will be a trek from down this way in Brunswick County. Close to an hour on a decent day with parking, etc. Have you been accepted to a grad program already? I would also check with UNCW and the professors as to how many classes are online which of course is very popular now as opposed to my day in early 80's. If you only have to come to campus one or two days a week, that may determine how far you can be in the country as opposed to 4 or 5 weekly visits.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:56 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,122,907 times
I'd rent in Burgaw and see how you like it. Its an easy commute to UNCW.

You could try Whiteville if you want to be a little further away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or